Are most rally’s bad

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi I haven’t been metal detecting very long ,I’ve got permission for a few fields and and that’s it .Ive tried a lot of farmers etc but with no joy.So Iam looking at a rally.Can anyone point me in the right direction because I’ve read some bad reports on these rally’s ,Also is it mostly males who attend thankyou



User avatar
Blackadder43
Moderator
Posts: 10221
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 757 times
Been thanked: 769 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi Rosie
No, not all rallys are bad
Although the hobby is mainly a male dominated hobby, there are quite a few ladies that detect and attend rallys
I think there is also a lady or 3 who organise rallies too
Someone on facebook called Pink wellies i think, plus others
Here is a link to Rallys that are brought to our attention , they are nothing to do with us in organising, so research for yourself too
Rally links

But in the main people in this hobby are very friendly and only want to help
At a rally you have to think that you are all there for the same hobby, so instantly you all have a common interest to break the ice
Good luck
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm
Hi Rosie
No, not all rallys are bad
Although the hobby is mainly a male dominated hobby, there are quite a few ladies that detect and attend rallys
I think there is also a lady or 3 who organise rallies too
Someone on facebook called Pink wellies i think, plus others
Here is a link to Rallys that are brought to our attention , they are nothing to do with us in organising, so research for yourself too
Rally links

But in the main people in this hobby are very friendly and only want to help
At a rally you have to think that you are all there for the same hobby, so instantly you all have a common interest to break the ice
Good luck
thankyou for your help blackadder

stjimmy1980
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 11:06 am
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by stjimmy1980 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm

I’ve done a fair few and never had any problems at all. In fact quite the opposite. Most are friendly and like a chat , a few keep themselves to themselves. I have always taken my young daughter and although it is mostly men there have been women on most digs that I can remember .
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
YT Ivys metal detecting UK

User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 2224 times
Been thanked: 913 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by SuperRed » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:19 pm

You mention that you have a 'few fields' Rosie and that is great for a start (one of the main problems with detecting is getting permissions), so well done ::g

I don't tend to go to rallies so can't help you there, but as stated research and make sure you find one of the ones with a better pedigree. The members on here should be able to point you in the direction of those worth attending.

Brad
Last edited by SuperRed on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 3723 times
Been thanked: 4036 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 pm

Which county are you in Sophie? It might help us give you some specific suggestions. I’ve found most rallies are really friendly and there are often quite a few women attending. Happy to take questions if you want to private message me ::g

Whatever you decide to do just remember to take the usual precautions you’d take if you were wandering the countryside ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

User avatar
Blackadder43
Moderator
Posts: 10221
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 757 times
Been thanked: 769 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 pm

The Ladies name is Rosie x;
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 2224 times
Been thanked: 913 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by SuperRed » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 pm
The Ladies name is Rosie x;
Oops, spellcheck on Kindle in my case... apologies. Cheers BA.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 3723 times
Been thanked: 4036 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 pm
Blackadder43 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 pm
The Ladies name is Rosie x;
Oops, spellcheck on Kindle in my case... apologies. Cheers BA.
Sorry Rosie rl;
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 981 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Saffron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Rosie,
like most things in life there are good and bad. As an example I drive a fairly high milage most years so see lots of examples of bad driving (do some drivers know that there is thing called an "Indicator" that they should use before turning or changing lanes on a motorway?), but that does not stop me driving.

So yes some rallies are bad, due to either poor organisation or the land that they are on.

However some are brilliant, both the organisation and the land they put you on producing good finds.

If thinking about going on a rally try to find what people have said about the rallies that the organisers have done previously. But remember some people will always moan!. Take the majority of the feedback.

The majority of detectorists are male, so this is reflected on organised digs. However I have never been on a dig that is all male, there is always a reasonable percentage of ladies on all digs.

The people on digs reflect life as a whole, a few will be very quiet and just "do their own thing" while others will want to be friends with everybody. But the vast majority are in the middle and will be friendly and more than willing to help others out.

I mainly detect on my own but enjoy the odd rally as it gives some where different to detect and there is also the social side. (if you see 2 or 3 talking in a field wander over and ask what they have found, the chances are thats what they are talking about)

Give a few a try and decide if they are for you or not.

Evan

Koala
Posts: 4758
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm
Location: Cheshire
Has thanked: 390 times
Been thanked: 1389 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Koala » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 pm

more and more people are see organising rallies as easy money. Its easy to set up a Facebook group.

Best thing is join follow for a bit before committing to a rally. Often only an admin of the group is finding the hammerd and Roman

There's plenty around and some are very good. its hit and miss.

Ladybird66
Posts: 1607
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 541 times
Been thanked: 1147 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi Rosie and a belated welcome.

I’ve been to several small rallies and always been welcomed and treated with respect by the men and a cherry hello and chin wag from many of the ladies there.
Mostly were all a friendly bunch and welcome newcomers with a free flow of do’s, dont’s and advice on Detectors etc.
Don’t be worried about going on your own, you’ll soon find a friendly face.

Finds are a different story. Mostly few and far between in my case but some wonderful things have been found. I’m sure if you’ve been reading the posts you’ll have seen mention of the gold and silver hoard found on a rally, recently.
You could be the next one to find another. It’s all in the hands of the Detecting gods. :D

p.s. my main complaint has always been lack of you know what facilities. There isn’t always a big enough Bush handy rl; not usually a problem with bigger organised rallies though ::g

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:42 pm

stjimmy1980 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm
I’ve done a fair few and never had any problems at all. In fact quite the opposite. Most are friendly and like a chat , a few keep themselves to themselves. I have always taken my young daughter and although it is mostly men there have been women on most digs that I can remember .
thankyou so much for your help stjimmy

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 pm
Which county are you in Sophie? It might help us give you some specific suggestions. I’ve found most rallies are really friendly and there are often quite a few women attending. Happy to take questions if you want to private message me ::g

Whatever you decide to do just remember to take the usual precautions you’d take if you were wandering the countryside ::g
. Hi Oxgirl36 thankyou for your help I live on the north east coast of england

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 3723 times
Been thanked: 4036 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 pm


p.s. my main complaint has always been lack of you know what facilities. There isn’t always a big enough Bush handy rl; not usually a problem with bigger organised rallies though ::g
Very true LB =))
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Saffron wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 pm
Rosie,
like most things in life there are good and bad. As an example I drive a fairly high milage most years so see lots of examples of bad driving (do some drivers know that there is thing called an "Indicator" that they should use before turning or changing lanes on a motorway?), but that does not stop me driving.

So yes some rallies are bad, due to either poor organisation or the land that they are on.

However some are brilliant, both the organisation and the land they put you on producing good finds.

If thinking about going on a rally try to find what people have said about the rallies that the organisers have done previously. But remember some people will always moan!. Take the majority of the feedback.
The majority of detectorists are male, so this is reflected on organised digs. However I have never been on a dig that is all male, there is always a reasonable percentage of ladies on all digs.

The people on digs reflect life as a whole, a few will be very quiet and just "do their own thing" while others will want to be friends with everybody. But the vast majority are in the middle and will be friendly and more than willing to help others out.

I mainly detect on my own but enjoy the odd rally as it gives some where different to detect and there is also the social side. (if you see 2 or 3 talking in a field wander over and ask what they have found, the chances are thats what they are talking about)

Give a few a try and decide if they are for you or not.

Evan
thanks for a lot of useful information saffron

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Koala wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 pm
more and more people are see organising rallies as easy money. Its easy to set up a Facebook group.

Best thing is join follow for a bit before committing to a rally. Often only an admin of the group is finding the hammerd and Roman

There's plenty around and some are very good. its hit and miss.
Thanks koala makes sense

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:06 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 pm
Hi Rosie and a belated welcome.

I’ve been to several small rallies and always been welcomed and treated with respect by the men and a cherry hello and chin wag from many of the ladies there.
Mostly were all a friendly bunch and welcome newcomers with a free flow of do’s, dont’s and advice on Detectors etc.
Don’t be worried about going on your own, you’ll soon find a friendly face.

Finds are a different story. Mostly few and far between in my case but some wonderful things have been found. I’m sure if you’ve been reading the posts you’ll have seen mention of the gold and silver hoard found on a rally, recently.
You could be the next one to find another. It’s all in the hands of the Detecting gods. :D

p.s. my main complaint has always been lack of you know what facilities. There isn’t always a big enough Bush handy rl; not usually a problem with bigger organised rallies though ::g
[/quote ] great thanks ladybird sounds good ::g

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:08 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:19 pm
You mention that you have a 'few fields' Rosie and that is great for a start (one of the main problems with detecting is getting permissions), so well done ::g

I don't tend to go to rallies so can't help you there, but as stated research and make sure you find one of the ones with a better pedigree. The members on here should be able to point you in the direction of those worth attending.

Brad
Thanks brad for that ::g

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:09 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 pm
Blackadder43 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 pm
The Ladies name is Rosie x;
Oops, spellcheck on Kindle in my case... apologies. Cheers BA.
thanks ::g

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 pm
SuperRed wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 pm
Blackadder43 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 pm
The Ladies name is Rosie x;
Oops, spellcheck on Kindle in my case... apologies. Cheers BA.
Sorry Rosie rl;
No problem Oxgirl36 ::g

garrettoldboy
Posts: 703
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 am
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by garrettoldboy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 pm

hello, north east coast try some beach detecting

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 4682
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1187 times
Been thanked: 2474 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:21 am

Rallies can be quite variable in many ways, fees, people, facilities & finds. You pays your money and makes your choice though need to be able to read the over-hype. Some rallies produce some great finds whilst others produce mainly scrap. It's worth doing a few for the experience if not too far away but you might find that you prefer to be on your own permission? I think it's fair to say that the majority of people that go on organized digs are either newbies or people that have no permissions of their own, though on the more expensive rallies on land with potentially better finds more experienced detectorists are likely to attend seeking 'treasure', though most are disappointed. Often the issue can be thinking that the grass is always greener elsewhere, when sometimes you find that it can be the greenest on your own permission. :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:58 am

garrettoldboy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 pm
hello, north east coast try some beach detecting
hi been on beach once ,could not stand the amount of dogs running around me .ilike dogs but people like dogs to run free l will try when it’s quiet ::g

Rosie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Rosie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:04 am

Easylife wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:21 am
Rallies can be quite variable in many ways, fees, people, facilities & finds. You pays your money and makes your choice though need to be able to read the over-hype. Some rallies produce some great finds whilst others produce mainly scrap. It's worth doing a few for the experience if not too far away but you might find that you prefer to be on your own permission? I think it's fair to say that the majority of people that go on organized digs are either newbies or people that have no permissions of their own, though on the more expensive rallies on land with potentially better finds more experienced detectorists are likely to attend seeking 'treasure', though most are disappointed. Often the issue can be thinking that the grass is always greener elsewhere, when sometimes you find that it can be the greenest on your own permission. :D
r thankyou I will look at reviews etc,but I am excited about trying one or two as the land I. Have t search at the moment is very small ::g

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 633 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Bors » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:11 am

Quote Rosie,...." Are most rally’s bad " ?

"bad " ? ..... Probably the wrong word to suggest If we're talking of the big ones or the ones seen which are massively advertised, Some are quoted as " Charity " rallies or some are just put on as a "Fest".
" Rip off " could be more apt on many, or " Really Disappointing" could apply to many in the past.
I think you have to accept that a great deal of Rallies offer no guarantees anyway. You pay your money and take your chances. No one forces you to go to them. But I think it`s got to be realised a lot of Rallies are put on to make money. For WHATEVER reason that`s the stark reality of it, they are money making venues put on not to help detectorists but to pull in large amounts of quick tax-free cash, some even go a step further and actually charge you for parking and if that`s not money-making what is ? There are certain people who do it regularly as an income who I seriously doubt pay any income Tax on it , so yes indeed, some are OK and often some hordes are found, and nice items but its like anything else, it`s the luck of the draw ;you find stuff or you don`t. But I would suggest go there and expect to find not much, but if you do, it`s a bonus. The social aspect of it pulls in lots of regulars as some go to them mainly to meet up with old friends and get sloshed in the evenings, and if that's what you're going for in the main, then the detecting aspect of the rally matters very little.
It all depends on your interpretation of what a Rally means to you, or you want out of it whether or not it was a good rally. Some are put on as a mini "Teaching rally "where its self implying what its about and that is charged in the main to cover expenses laid on to run it, but others are put on for different reasons which are less charitable as far as any charities concerned anyway.

User avatar
shaggybfc
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 pm
Location: Warwick
Has thanked: 503 times
Been thanked: 446 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 am

Hi Rosie,
I don't attend many organised pay to dig events, only the ones held by people I trust and on behalf of a charity I support. I definitely attend the Rodney Cook charity digs - great event, well organised by trustworthy people and for a great cause ::g
Don't go to any events expecting to find 'treasure', chances are you'll not find any and you'll be disappointed. Go for the social side. Chat, dig, chat, eat (jelly bean cake), drink, dig a bit more is the order of the day.
I've never really found much on the digs - I do however help to fill up the rubbish buckets.
Maybe you should select a dig to attend and ask the forum if anybody from here is also attending. I'm sure members would only be too willing to meet up for a chat and a cup of tea. ::g
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=99899&hilit=rodney&start=150
There's a, (thankfully for me, out of focus), photo of some of the forum members at the 2018 Rodney Cook dig.
Good luck
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

User avatar
Ravenrook
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:13 pm
Location: Everywhere...
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Ravenrook » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Hi Rosie,

As already mentioned; choose the rally wisely.
In my poinion, there are more bad ones than good. I choose to rarely support any rally, knowing that you get many people making a mess of the land, people overcharging on land that has been detetected for many years and, worst of all, it give the opportunity for people to launder finds they might have nighthawked or stolen from elicit detecting!
I have also heard of people finding coins at rallies with blu tack on!!

I am lucky enough to have good permissions and relations with local land owners, something I work hard to maintain. Therefore; I don't have to rely on these events to get out.

Only go to the reputable ones, do your research and don't support the dodgy rallies and groups.
Best of luck!

Raven ::g
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Extreme Digging tool
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm!

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 633 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Bors » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Ravenrook wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:01 pm
Hi Rosie,

As already mentioned; choose the rally wisely.
In my poinion, there are more bad ones than good. I choose to rarely support any rally, knowing that you get many people making a mess of the land, people overcharging on land that has been detetected for many years and, worst of all, it give the opportunity for people to launder finds they might have nighthawked or stolen from elicit detecting!
I have also heard of people finding coins at rallies with blu tack on!!

I am lucky enough to have good permissions and relations with local land owners, something I work hard to maintain. Therefore; I don't have to rely on these events to get out.

Only go to the reputable ones, do your research and don't support the dodgy rallies and groups.
Best of luck!

Raven ::g
Two or three extremely good Points said there and this one >>> " give the opportunity for people to launder finds they might have nighthawked or stolen from elicit detecting!"

That particular one, I must confess has never crossed my mind before but none the less, probably very possible, and top marks for pointing it out.

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: Are most rally’s bad

Post by Dangerous Norman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Rosie wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:58 am
garrettoldboy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 pm
hello, north east coast try some beach detecting
hi been on beach once ,could not stand the amount of dogs running around me .ilike dogs but people like dogs to run free l will try when it’s quiet ::g
I have detected the north east beaches and although one or two dogs do come near me for a stroke most just stay out the way. It's not the dogs fault, it's the owners. During summer months many beaches ban dog from the main areas.

Locked

Return to “Rallies Forum”