Carlisle & Brampton Rotary rally.

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
Mancave-man

Carlisle & Brampton Rotary rally.

Post by Mancave-man » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Attended this rally today with my mate Gylo and have to say that the land on offer was absolutely littered with junk. It used to be the Brampton Skip Hire site and I think they must have tipped all the rubbish collected over the years onto the fields. Will have to give real consideration before deciding on whether to attend next year. Came home after 4 hours. Very very frustrating day! :E :E ;;z

Andy 911

Re: Carlisle & Brampton Rotary rally.

Post by Andy 911 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 pm

I was thinking about going glad I never went now

everhopeful

Post by everhopeful » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:48 am

First time out this year due to work commitments I went to a Round Table charity dig here in Brampton, Cumbria. Unfortunately, the forty plus acres appeared to have been heavily contaminated by green waste causing several to leave before midday and very few noted finds of any interest that I know of. For any who attended this rally, please try again next year as the money raised is for charity. I hope the feedback is considered by the organisers as they should not have chosen land on a farm formally used by a skip hire and recycling company. A fact they were aware of but did not make open on their website.

everhopeful

Post by everhopeful » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 am

I left after two and a half hours. The two of us never found a thing, so went to one of my permissions and found a nice Bawbee and a toy cannon in ten mins, so day not totally wasted. Next year, unless the land chosen is good I will not attend this rally again. I think the Rotary are running out of farmers in this area.

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 pm

I went too, I haven’t had the chance to get out much lately and currently got a bit of time off so as it was for a good cause, I packed the tent and hauled myself up from Leicester, I’m still here actually, as I thought I’d might as well have a bit of an explore while I’m here.

I must admit it was very disappointing, I got a banging signal in the first five minutes, only to unearth a modern spoon, quickly followed by a relentless succession of cans, foil and other junk, the next one will be a good one I kept telling myself, but of course it wasn’t and I think I finally admitted defeat about 30 minutes before the end, by which time a lot had already left.

I heard a few complaining how bad it was, and how they would not attend another one, and whilst I understand their feelings, I think the Rotary do a lot of good work, and hopefully will still be supported at future events.

Even though I had a poor day detecting, I’m still glad I came, I’ve found a great campsite, enjoying fresh air, great views, interesting friendly people, visited Hadrians wall, The Roman Army Museum, and intend to go to Vindolanda before I go home, so I for one, hope to give this event another try next year.

Kev

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:18 am

Hello Telstar ::g I like your positive slant on events ::g Detecting is never predictable so the search results will always be 'successful' or 'unsuccessful'. Although in your case nothing of interest was found due to the poor condition of the venue, the rally objective was achieved by the raising of much needed funds for the various charitable causes. Despite the initial disappointment of the rally, it's clear that your camping venture was very much a success.::g Regards ss47

(Edit to add omitted last sentence).
A disservice is no service at all.

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Telstar wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 pm
I went too, I haven’t had the chance to get out much lately and currently got a bit of time off so as it was for a good cause, I packed the tent and hauled myself up from Leicester, I’m still here actually, as I thought I’d might as well have a bit of an explore while I’m here.

I must admit it was very disappointing, I got a banging signal in the first five minutes, only to unearth a modern spoon, quickly followed by a relentless succession of cans, foil and other junk, the next one will be a good one I kept telling myself, but of course it wasn’t and I think I finally admitted defeat about 30 minutes before the end, by which time a lot had already left.

I heard a few complaining how bad it was, and how they would not attend another one, and whilst I understand their feelings, I think the Rotary do a lot of good work, and hopefully will still be supported at future events.

Even though I had a poor day detecting, I’m still glad I came, I’ve found a great campsite, enjoying fresh air, great views, interesting friendly people, visited Hadrians wall, The Roman Army Museum, and intend to go to Vindolanda before I go home, so I for one, hope to give this event another try next year.

Kev
If you haven't already been to Vindolanda you will really enjoy it. It's got a very nice museum as well. As for the rally, well words fail me with regard to how poor it was. Never mind it was all for a good cause.
Hope you have a nice time here in sunny Cumbria ::g

M-m

steunited

Post by steunited » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:08 pm

I was another unfortunate attendee but since I live in Carlisle it was easily enough to get to even though I had to use 12 hour flexi to be able to go.
I was getting so many signals after already digging up cr*p I couldn't even be bothered with most of them.
Very dissappointing

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi Sweepstick47, thanks for the comments, I agree, it is as you say, never predictable, and as funds were raised for the various charitable causes, I think it was still worthwhile.

Mancave man, no, not been yet, coming from an engineering background, I had always wanted for years to see the Falkirk wheel ever since I knew it was under construction, so while I am this way I drove up and took a boat trip on it, then went and had a look at the Kelpies today, and I'm going to visit Vindolander in the morning.

North

Post by North » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:04 pm

I disagree with a few of the replies about this dig. In over 20 years of detecting it was THE WORST DIG I have ever been on.
The goal of the Rotary Rally was (a) to raise money for charity and (b) to give OVER 200 detectorists a chance to find something nice. They completed (a) but failed miserably with (b). The consensus of opinion is that most wont return next year as they feel they were conned, so next year the Rotary Rally will fail at (a) as no one will turn up. 4 of us had a return journey of over 500 miles and when we got there we found it was common knowledge that the farmer had been fined £50,000 recently for the green waste issue. The organisers knew about the greenwaste but still felt obliged to con the people who happily donated approx £20 each to their charity.
We wont be going next year.
We will of course find another charity dig next year to attend and give our money too, just not
The Brampton Rotary Rally Dig.

Return to “Rallies Forum”