South Cambridgeshire club

Post all your metal detecting clubs related topics here.
UK Metal Detecting Clubs List here -> Metal Detecting Clubs
Wessexlad

Re: South Cambridgeshire club

Post by Wessexlad »

Hi there. We have a meeting coming up on December 9th, you're more than welcome to come along. We're not a particularly big club, but that makes it all the more friendly and informal. We meet at the Rose in Stapleford, pretty much right on your doorstep. We usually aim for 8pm but we might get there a bit earlier for this one, get some food in. We're in the Lounge, on your left as you enter the pub. They usually keep the room for our use.

I've produced some leaflets about how to start a fight with people.

Who wants some?!?!?

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Hi
Wessexlad wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:37 pm
Hi there. We have a meeting coming up on December 9th, you're more than welcome to come along. We're not a particularly big club, but that makes it all the more friendly and informal. We meet at the Rose in Stapleford, pretty much right on your doorstep. We usually aim for 8pm but we might get there a bit earlier for this one, get some food in. We're in the Lounge, on your left as you enter the pub. They usually keep the room for our use.
Hi Wessexlad,

Thanks for the reply. I read the forun's previous notes since 2018.

I will be there, it really is not far from home (although the Hudson's Ale house is nearer!).
I only have a bike, so the location of "the Rose" is quite convenient.
My hope is, among other things, to get some more information from you Guys about places to go for metal detecting, about these licences, and also the metal detector itself (which brands to buy - are those "cheap" ones that we see on Amazon any good for a beginner?

Meet you soon!

Christian.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

A “room” wow.. ::g
The Last detecting club meeting I attended you could of held in a portaloo :))

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

Hofling wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi Wessexlad,

Thanks for the reply. I read the forun's previous notes since 2018.

I will be there, it really is not far from home (although the Hudson's Ale house is nearer!).
I only have a bike, so the location of "the Rose" is quite convenient.
My hope is, among other things, to get some more information from you Guys about places to go for metal detecting, about these licences, and also the metal detector itself (which brands to buy - are those "cheap" ones that we see on Amazon any good for a beginner?

Meet you soon!

Christian.
The Hudson's was fine in the garden in the summer Christian, but a bit crowded with no privacy inside. The Rose is a nice pub and much easier to show finds in a private room.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. ::g

Btw: the Garrett 400i is an excellent machine... one for sale s/h in the forum 'General and Sell'. Nothing to do with me, but just for info.
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.

Life is difficult. Once we truly know that life is difficult and we truly understand and accept it, then life is no longer difficult.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

PinkFloyd wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:28 pm
A “room” wow.. ::g
The Last detecting club meeting I attended you could of held in a portaloo :))
Not just a room PF... a room with a bar and en suite loo! :))
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Life is difficult. Once we truly know that life is difficult and we truly understand and accept it, then life is no longer difficult.

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Bradrick wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:10 pm

The Hudson's was fine in the garden in the summer Christian, but a bit crowded with no privacy inside. The Rose is a nice pub and much easier to show finds in a private room.

Btw: the Garrett 400i is an excellent machine... one for sale s/h in the forum 'General and Sell'. Nothing to do with me, but just for info.
Hi, sure, just mentioned Hudson's because near, but I always like to go to new Pubs!

I have looked but it seems that that Garret 400i already has been sold.

I know you'll tell me all about this when we meet, but is anything new under 100 pounds reliable? There are hundreds of options in Amazon, but I just don't know if it is worth trying.

Thanks for your coments.

Christian.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

Hofling wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi, sure, just mentioned Hudson's because near, but I always like to go to new Pubs!

I know you'll tell me all about this when we meet, but is anything new under 100 pounds reliable? There are hundreds of options in Amazon, but I just don't know if it is worth trying.

Thanks for your coments.

Christian.
Hi Christian

There are some very decent 'starter' detectors available, but probably a little more than £100. The main thing with detecting is finding somewhere to use one. I probably won't be able to make the meeting, but the chaps will certainly have some good advice for you. I would certainly avoid the cheap 'unknown' makes and hold out for a s/h proven brand. There is a lot of good advice, etc on buying detectors and the various different brands under the 'Metal Detectors' forum on here over to the panel on left l;/

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad »

Hofling wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:41 pm
Bradrick wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks for your coments.

Christian.
If it's less than £100 then it's fine as an introductory detector for a child, or for pottering in your garden, but if you're serious about the hobby you'd soon realise you'd need something better. My 11-year-old and I were bought one a couple of years ago, it was about £70 and it was fun in the garden, we found stuff with it fairly easily, but I soon upgraded to a Garrett 250, and I wish I'd gone even more upmarket. The 250 is fine but there's always something better.

I'm sure we can tell you all you need to know when we meet up.

Who wants some?!?!?

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Thank you guys,

I'll surely "study" the subject in the following days - that is why I joined it in the first place.

Do you mind if in the meantime (until the next meeting 9th December) I ask for a few more advice?

Thank you all and have a nice week ahead of you.

Christian.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad »

Ask away. You might want to start a thread of your own if you want a wider audience, I suspect people only read this thread if they have an interest in the area.

Who wants some?!?!?

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Hi Wessex,

thanks for the advice, but here is fine! Surely you know millions more than I do and that should be enough for now. And I'll keep reading the forum for more information.

Christian.

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Good morning,

a quick post this morning before I go to work.

I have been researching here in the forum and lots of information.

As I noticed, one very important thing, even explained above, is that we need a place to search. Is it difficult to find those permissions? The most obvious place near me is Grantchester, near my home and with many fields, but how do I find the owner? Of course I know, asking around - I might try asking at those pubs near the river if they know the owners.
But just for a starter, do you know if anywhere around that is "public" and that I might search just for the fun of it, with my daughter, so at leas she has a go trying a detector?

As for a detector for her - 8y - I saw your post Wessex there in the other thread I put about this subject: you bought the ne that Blackadder suggest 2 years ago. Do you think that for around 50 pounds (on Amazon) this is worth trying (taking in account that I will buy another one for me?).

For me I was thinking about a Garret (300i?) or the Notka that they suggested.

Thanks,

Christian.

Edurley

Post by Edurley »

Hi Christian,

Good to hear you are getting into detecting, it is a lot of fun.
I haven't tried the Garrett 300i before but have had the 400i and they are good machines, I have found roman coins, hammered coins and even gold with it so it does do the job. There are newer machines in that price range that have been released since these ones though that seem to do a good job too such as the Nokta simplex and the Golden mask +1, I think Minelab are bringing out the Vanquish in January to compete with this level of machine too that is supposed to have multi-frequency but as it is not out yet cannot say if its any good or not. So there is a few to think about.

As many people say, the hardest part is finding a place to go, the easiest place to start is to do gardens of friends and family, It is surprising what is in gardens sometimes but I find them quite trashy. Also the beaches of the crown estate are okay for anyone to go on and don't need to get permission but this is usually filled with modern coinage and rubbish with the odd ring and also the salt water is tough for most cheaper machines to handle. I have found all my permissions through door knocking, I tried letters but got no responses, face to face works best as they can meet you and not ignore you. One of my best permissions is a horse paddock and I just knocked on a few doors asking about who owns the land around the area and usually people know the right person to ask and point you in the direction of their house. And of course anywhere that has farm in the name is worth a knock and you never know it might lead onto more permissions in the future.

People usually regret buying the cheap amazon detector, it might seem like saving money but for the price you also get half the fun and interest is easily lost due to not finding much and eventually end up having to spend more money to buy something that works. I have seen this asked a lot recently and people usually suggest the Minelab Gofind range for children so maybe thats one to look into.

I hope that was a bit helpful and hope to see you at the next meeting ::g
Ed ::g

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod »

i have had the 300i for nearly 6months now ,and im finding it a great little machine ,seems to find alot of coins ,i have just upped coil to a nel tornado and found that to be a great addition further down the line if you really enjoy it ,if your thinking beaches though i didnt find it great on the beach

f8met

Post by f8met »

Hofling wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:15 am

But just for a starter, do you know if anywhere around that is "public" and that I might search just for the fun of it, with my daughter, so at leas she has a go trying a detector?

Unfortunately there are no areas which are a free for all. If there were then they would have been picked clean by now anyway. There is a misconception that common land, footpaths, local woods and parks are OK to detect on. All land has an owner and they have to be asked before you can detect. good luck with your search.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2020 3 Hammered

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

Edurley wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:02 am

As many people say, the hardest part is finding a place to go, the easiest place to start is to do gardens of friends and family, It is surprising what is in gardens sometimes but I find them quite trashy.
Hi Christian

As Ed says, permission is the key to detecting (buying a detector is the easy bit) and gaining a permission really boils down to leg-work and persuasion. Initially, just having somewhere to practice is far more important than the historical potential of the land. Don't ignore the gardens of friends and rellies. When I bought my first detector in the 80's I pestered the heck out of my friends and found my first ring and first coin (a cartwheel penny). Don't forget your holidays. If you are renting a cottage or a caravan the owner will rarely turn you down. I tend to concentrate on smaller pieces of land... far less attractive to the attention of pay-groups.

Even in areas like ours there is a surprising amount of land and opportunities that has been overlooked. I also favour the door-knocking, face-to-face approach. You may even want to consider taking a little 'enticement' along. On my first farm in NW7 I took a decent bottle of whiskey along. The farmer was reluctant, but I gave him the bottle for listening to me anyway. As I was walking away he said 'ok, we'll see how it goes, but not on shoot days'. Everything is worth a try. Once you get your first other doors open.

Anyway, good luck with it. Enjoy the meeting... they are a nice bunch of people.

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Hi everyone,

looking forward to our meeting next week.
Is that sill up?

I finally decided to buy the Simplex, although many advised to wait until you have a place to go searching, etc, I thought I preferred to have it ready whenever I need it.

Anyway, now reading the manual, and trying to get familiar with the terms!

Anyone with experience with this machine? because soon I'll start to ask lots of questions!

thanks everyone,

Christian.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad »

Yeah, we're on for monday, hoping for a good turnout. Not sure if anyone's had a Simplex before, I'm sure you'll soon find out. Bring it along if you like.

Who wants some?!?!?

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Wessexlad wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:43 pm
Yeah, we're on for monday, hoping for a good turnout. Not sure if anyone's had a Simplex before, I'm sure you'll soon find out. Bring it along if you like.

Thanks.

Yes, I am cycling there - I'll try to find a good backpack to carry it. Would be nice t bring it along.

Let's see.

Christian.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad »

For anyone coming along tomorrow evening, The Rose is under new management and our usual room is being refurbished, but they'll find a space for us all in the main bar (turn right as you enter the pub). Hopefully all back to normal for January meeting. We're aiming for about 7.30 so we can order some food in, all welcome as usual.

Who wants some?!?!?

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Wessexlad wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:52 pm
For anyone coming along tomorrow evening, The Rose is under new management and our usual room is being refurbished, but they'll find a space for us all in the main bar (turn right as you enter the pub). Hopefully all back to normal for January meeting. We're aiming for about 7.30 so we can order some food in, all welcome as usual.
Thanks!

Aim to be there 7:30 sharp!

Should I bring the Simplex, or not necessary?

Christian.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad »

You can if you want, I'd be interested to see it. Always happy to see something different.

Who wants some?!?!?

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Wessexlad wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:55 pm
You can if you want, I'd be interested to see it. Always happy to see something different.
I'll gladly take it then!

See you tomorrow!

Christian.

NYeomans

Post by NYeomans »

Hi, when are you next meeting as I am keen on tagging along? I used to live in Stapleford but am now based in Abington so I know exactly where The Rose is. Had to have a break from detecting for a number of years but am now keen on restarting.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

NYeomans wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:49 pm
Hi, when are you next meeting as I am keen on tagging along? I used to live in Stapleford but am now based in Abington so I know exactly where The Rose is. Had to have a break from detecting for a number of years but am now keen on restarting.
Hi NYeomans

The next meeting is scheduled for Monday 13th Jan. Usual meeting time is 8:00.

You may want to pm Wessexlad to let him know.

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

NYeomans

Post by NYeomans »

Cheers Brad, thanks for that. I will message him. See you next week?

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

NYeomans wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:27 pm
Cheers Brad, thanks for that. I will message him. See you next week?
I'm out of action at the moment, but you'll have a nice evening... great bunch. ::g
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad »

Next meeting tomorrow (Monday), 7 onwards (bit earlier than usual). This is for those of us who want to order food. Not sure if we're getting our private bar back yet, so for now we're in the main bar. See you there.

Who wants some?!?!?

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan »

Pleased all is going well for everyone ::g I am starting up another club here in Lincs next month, a Lincolnshire version of my old club - https://www.norfolkheritagerecovery.org/
Good luck to all, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad »

Thanks Liam. It's been pretty successful, we have twelve members now and we've had a few club digs, hoping for a chance to do more. We're still fairly loose and informal, best way for us at the moment. I believe you met one of our members on the Lincoln dig.

Anyway, good luck with your club, it's well worth it.

Who wants some?!?!?

Return to “Clubs Forum”