Applied to join my local club but find there's no vacancies

Post all your metal detecting clubs related topics here.
UK Metal Detecting Clubs List here -> Metal Detecting Clubs
KDS79

Applied to join my local club but find there's no vacancies

Post by KDS79 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:36 pm

I tried to join the most local club I could find and guess what...they are full ;;z

Oxgirl36

Re: Applied to join my local club but find there's no vacancies

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:06 pm

Sadly this hobby has got rather popular. Many clubs let you go to their meetings as non-members though. Great way to get bumped up the member list but also great way to get friendships going and learn loads ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Your already a member of the most important club in this forum,
many of us are not in a metal detecting club as there wasn't then or now any local ones when some of us started detecting, you don't need a club to be able to travel around to try & get a permission,
use the interested in finding local history chat & can I do some field walking & when convenient try a bit of detecting, ease yourself into landowners trust & it will get better from there,
best of luck.
Clint ::g

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:17 am

KDS79 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:36 pm
I tried to join the most local club I could find and guess what...they are full ;;z
Why the "thumbs down" ?
Did you offer any help/services or just want to join "to get land" ?
Most "bricks & mortar" clubs are run by volunteers who do it little thanks on top of all their other responsibilities.
Very often meeting rooms have a limit of numbers....... ever tried parking 50+ cars at a dig?

Try offering to help... you`ll move up the list.... and don`t expect "instant results". ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:28 am

Some good positive suggestions already, but you could also (eventually) consider rounding up some more local detectorists in the same situation as yourself and over a pint chat about the possibilities of forming your own club. If you go down that route you will soon discover the enormous work thats involved. I formed a successful club three years ago in Norwich, now moved up to Lincolnshire but I keep in touch. The Norfolk Heritage Recovery Group https://www.norfolkheritagerecovery.org/ is a well run club with brilliant members who are always willing to muck in and lend a hand with the club digs. If you need any advice on how to start, they would be delighted to share their tips with you. If you simply want someone else to provide land for you to detect on, then active club participation is not for you, hence the enormous numbers of good/bad/horrible commercial digs on offer. Good luck, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Some very good posts above.

Myself I never mind finding a club is full and being put on a waiting list. It means the club is successful and that is why people are wanting to join it. As an example I am a member of a local fishing club and membership is capped at 295, and we have about 50 on the waiting list due to the quality of waters that we have. But other clubs with limited waters have no waiting list.

Clubs often put a membership cap on due to the numbers that they can easily manage, this could be due to the amount of work and time the membership secretary is able to give, and amount of land that they can get for club digs (and associated parking), insurance (more members means more costs), or simply that they want to keep it friendly with a smaller number of members that attend meetings rather than large with a lot of members that only turn upon digs.

As Liam said if you can offer something in return it can jump you up the waiting list ::g

Why do you want to join the club?.
If it is to meet up with others and learn from the monthly talks that a lot have then see if you could go to the meetings as a guest, most allow clubs this. This is the main reason that I am a member of a "tradditional" club.
If you only want it to gain land on organised digs then there are a lot of FB or "commercial" digs out there. These rarely have a limit on members .... but often do for a given dig.

Evan

Bors

Post by Bors » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:56 pm

quote=Saffron.

" Myself I never mind finding a club is full and being put on a waiting list. It means the club is successful and that is why people are wanting to join it."

Well Evan ,I`d say possibly on some, but In my estimation, it`s mostly because people have no permissions of their own and or there`s not another one within 50 miles or so , and are that desperate to go out on some land & if nothing else but to just do the hobby of Detecting . And let's be clear, there`s nothing wrong with that reason at all!
So I think lots of Clubs are full because of that very reason, Shortage of own permissions by the members.Ok again,"some" members will have their own permissions but probably lots will not.

Some folk are not on FB and are not as forward in wanting to take on such a role of running or "organizing" things as others can happily be, and they shy away from taking on any admin jobs, and again there`s nothing in any rule book I have known, that says you must be willing at some point of your membership to involuntarily take up or accept an Admin or a committee job as part of acceptance to being a member on entry to the Club ?

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:40 pm

I don't get the thumbs down. ;;z Why? Its the way it is, deal with it. You can't just rock up and expect to accepted and given access to club land.
Its rather like deciding you want to play football and expecting to get a slot on a team straight away.
When people take up the hobby the easy bit is buying the detector. Its no guarantee of anything other than owning a machine. Just as buying football boots doesn't come with a shirt in the starting 11 of your local team.
You are going to have to be patient....and if you want to speed up the process it is a good idea to take an interest in the club outside of attending digs. In the meantime you need to get some permissions of your own. That's the way it is. For everybody.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:14 pm

A while ago 2 people posted within days on our club website about club membership, we had no vacancies at the time and told them so but made it known we welcome people as guests at any of our meetings. I was expecting two new faces at the next meeting but only one made the effort and turned up. Guess which one was soon a member ;)

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:17 pm

I think that Saffron's question: 'why do you want to join a club?' is the key.

People get drawn into this lark via a number of routes and it is easy to imagine someone buying a detector with no idea about the difficulty in securing a permission in some areas. They may have the intention of 'testing' it in their garden, and misconceptions about popping down to the local park or public areas... hence the number of used 'new' detectors on the market.

Buying a detector before securing a permission is a BIG mistake, but an understandable one. Detecting is one of the few hobbies where joining a club doesn't guarantee somewhere to practice it... angling clubs have waters, archery clubs have fields, etc, so some people buy a detector thinking that they only need to join a club to get land.

In my opinion, if someone joins a detecting club they should be prepared to contribute in some way. This forum is effectively a 'club'. The 'buddy' system is a good route for people who want to spend time with like-minded people and want to double-up on permission seeking.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Wise words that if read beforehand would prevent a lot of frustration and expense, plus a lot of illegal detecting! Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 pm

wow im shocked at some of the reactions this guy got sad ..good luck mate keep trying and ignore the haters
South London Metal Detector

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:07 pm

mrcheeky wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 pm
wow im shocked at some of the reactions this guy got sad ..good luck mate keep trying and ignore the haters
I don’t think it is haters :( just people trying to explain and give honest replies. I belong to a few clubs, some very large ones and plenty of people want to join, there is only so many each club can take. Unlike other hobbies, land isn’t easy to get and most potential new members only want to dig and offer no help or support to those clubs. Others will put themselves out and can end up being selected. Having been on committees for clubs it is also a thankless task where people expect a lot from us that are unpaid and give up our free time.

So sorry it sounds a bit harsh, but that’s the reality of clubs.

I of course wish the OP good luck and hope he gets to join one, or put the effort in to start a new one up. PS some groups allow guests to come when they haven’t got the numbers from members.

I will also add that most clubs charge a very small nominal fee per year to be a member. I could just imagine turning it in to something like a golf club, anyone can join, we have top land, by the way annual membership is £1000 a year it’s £50 a day to dig and we need three people to vouch for you ?

There’s digs out there, just need to do some research and be prepared to travel around the U.K.

Dave ):=
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 pm

mrcheeky wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 pm
mrcheeky I am some what surprised that you are "shocked" at the reactions to the original post and call them "sad".

I am most certainly NOT a "hater" and wish the guy well.

In my case I was trying to explain the situation about why the club might not be taking on new members, and be constructive by suggesting he could go the the meetings as a guest which would give hime the social side of the the club and let him learn from the talks and others, and also suggesting he tried other options for finding digs such as FB or "commercial" digs.

I fail to see anything wrong with that, nor for that matter or any of the other posts. In fact if I had been the OP I would have appreciated that feedback and either given it a thanks or responded - Neither of which I got despite trying to help him.

In fact if you look at one of his earlier posts about using FB you will see that again I gave a long and considered response ... and sadly again I got neither a thanks nor response.

Yet I am being called a "hater". Can somebody please explain what I am doing wrong?, as at NO point have I done anything to criticise the poster that I can see, in fact in both my replies to him I have tried to be helpful and constructive .... which sadly he appears not to appreciate.

Evan
Last edited by Saffron on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 pm

Saffron wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 pm
…...
In fact if you look at one of his earlier posts about using FB you will see that again I gave an long and considered responce ... and sadly again I got neither a thanks nor response.

Yet I am being called a "hater". Can somebody please explain what I am doing wrong?, as at NO point have I done anything to criticise the poster that I can see, in fact in both my replies to him I have tried to be helpful and constructive .... which sadly he appears not to appreciate.

Evan
Nothing wrong with your posts Evan and I to replied to the Facebook post with some advice and suggestions :-L

Dave ):=
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 am

Totally agree with Dave, nothing wrong with your posts Evan - information that many a new forum member can use.
I note that the OP hasn't been active since he posted this, so maybe that's the reason for no replies nor thanks given?

As for clubs, I've seen criticism levied for being a member of a club, attending / contributing to the monthly meetings, but not attending any of the club digs. "if you don't attend, we don't donate enough cash to the farmer, how can we expect to keep the land". I've also seen people not attending the club meetings, but attend all the club digs. "you're only here for the digs as you have no land of your own"
It's exactly the question asked "what do you want from a club" For me, I want the social side of it. My wife doesn't get excited by the tat I normally bring home and the conversation about ground balance verses reactivity doesn't grab her attention either. Therefore having like minded people to drink / chat / get advice from / show finds to is brilliant. I also try to attend the club digs to boost the farmer charity donation pot, especially if numbers are low - I might attend for an hour or so.

If you're looking for a club. as already suggested - start by attending the club meetings as a guest, gain the club's trust, contribute and maybe you'll be lucky enough to get invited to join. It's not a right, it's a privilege!
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:17 pm

KDS79 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:36 pm
Well that's a good sign, so just get on the waiting list and in the meantime put in some effort to find some land to detect on. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

KDS79

Post by KDS79 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 pm

This was not supposed to be a topic, I was replying to another post but think I pressed the wrong button and admin moved it to what they thought was the right place, that was my fault, apologies.

But on reading some of these replies I am a bit saddened.
The thumbs down simply meant that I was a bit gutted that the club nearest to me was full.
I feel that some of you think that you know me, I don't need a lesson in basic manners, I am not impatient and I most certainly don't expect everything without giving nothing.
It feels that you think I'm just a stupid newbie who just wants to steal other peoples land and can't be bothered to do my own research, well your wrong !
Do you think you are above me just because you have been detecting longer ? because that's how this feels to me.
The information for newbies on here is fantastic so going forward I think I will 'be seen but not heard' untill I get my own land and prove myself

A ;;z to anyone who tars all newbies with the same detector !

Over and out

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:59 pm

I have just checked back through our moderators logs and you are correct in that your post here was split off from another topic where you posted it too

With that in mind and now you have addressed all the posts in this thread i will lock this one off to stop it escalating for you

We hope you decide to stay around and become an active poster here, your views and experiences going forward are most welcomed ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Return to “Clubs Forum”