Brighton Newbies

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
SamAndLuke

Brighton Newbies

Post by SamAndLuke » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Luke :) My son (Sam) who is 6 has expressed an interest in metal detecting and its a hobby I've been meaning to try for a while, but other than the odd you tube video i have no experience.

I'm not sure if there are many viable sites around my area (other than the beach perhaps) or clubs, but thought it wise to learn a bit about it before the detector arrives and we set out for our first jaunt.

I have ordered what i expect to be a reasonable used machine which i hope to arrive within a week and i'm going to ask a couple of questions about it on the Makro forum in the mean time (how i should check it etc).

So if you have any advise for me on method, machine or etiquette (not sure if i can just charge into a farmers field without declaring myself first etc) or if anyone knows of any sites in east Sussex which might be worth a look then please let me know. I look forward to sharing what we find and from learning from you guys.

:)

Arch Stanton

Re: Brighton Newbies

Post by Arch Stanton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:49 am

Hi Luke & Sam, Probably the most important thing to remember is that all land is owned by someone, and their permission must be sought before detecting on it. Even beaches can be privately owned. Often the local council controlled beaches may have a policy about whether they allow detecting or not, so it is worth dropping them a line to ask first. Footpaths cross land that is owned by someone too. Gaining permissions is probably the hardest part of detecting, and I would guess is one of the main reasons people give it up, but keep at it and once you have some, look after them and the landowners. Good luck and I hope you and your son make some great and interesting finds.
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 am

Welcome to the hobby. Greeting from East Riding.

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi Luke & Sam,
I started yesterday with my Ace 250 & spent my first few hours out on the veg patch knowing it'd be full of rubbish. Was very enlightening on getting to grips with all the different beeping going on/pinpointing before I set out into the woolly wilds. By the end of play, every beep was a hit/nail/bottle top.
Mrs Keef is in the UK at the mo so ordered a cheapo GP pinpointer last night, €28 should get under the radar.

Keef

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Welcome, I know one chap who does detecting holidays in Brighton ... I think he manages to make a modest profit after paying for B&B ... So the beaches have to be good judging by those standards and an excellent instant access practice ground.

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:29 am

thanks everyone

Return to “Introduce yourself here”