Hello from Chard, Somerset.

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Davy999

Hello from Chard, Somerset.

Post by Davy999 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi All

I have just received a Garrett Ace 250 for my birthday from the "better half" and so thought I would join the forum to help me get back into the swing of things as I have been out of the hobby since the mid 90's.
I used to own a Whites Spectrum many years ago (£500+ at the time if I recall :-O ) and went to several rallies in Norwich (quite a trip from my then-home in Stoke On Trent) with my ex-father in law. We also had permission for the farm directly under Beeston Castle in Cheshire, so many musket balls and a hammered silver long cross coin that I misplaced many years ago, as well as several trips to a freezing cold Blackpool Beach that is etched into my psyche!. Unfortunately time and money became short with a young family and the detector and all the extras were sold for much needed cash.
Now time and money are not so tight so I am looking at progressing in this fascinating hobby again.
I have already added to the detector with pin pointer, etc.. so slowly building up the kit to get out there hunting again, but with it being so long I need to brush up on the current laws and detecting etiquette, and find somewhere to hunt also as apparently the back lawn is out of bounds! ;;z

I am a member of the Norman Lockyer Observatory in Sidmouth, Devon so spend time there each week as my main hobby is Astronomy, both astro photography and radio astronomy so that keeps me busy most of the time, hopefully the detector can find space and time to become a rewarding hobby again.

No doubt in time I will ask many questions, but at the moment there is such a wealth of information in the forum that I will try to find as many answers as possible in the posts already made before I start bombarding you all with requests.

Thanks
Dave

sweepstick47

Re: Hello from Chard, Somerset.

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:35 pm

Hello Davy Welcome aboard the forum and upon your return to the hobby::g Be Lucky. Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun May 14, 2017 12:20 am

Hi, welcome to the forum and back to the fascinating hobby.

I do a bit of astronomy and use the Norman Lockyer Observatory site when we have meteor showers, especially if cold and wet or clouded in here to get an indication of numbers, find it a great site. I really must visit it on one of my trips to the S.W.

I started with the Ace 250, as did many on here and if you walk over it then it certainly will find it, fantastic value for money IMHO. Some say it its not so good on beaches, including a very recent thread about the NE beaches which are heavily mineralised, but I got mine to work OK on the wet sand in the SW (Bristol channel) and others have too.

You said "I need to brush up on the current laws and detecting etiquette", the NCMD site http://www.ncmd.co.uk/ has a Code of Conduct which is as good a starting point as you could get. Its actually worth joining as for the £8 subscription you get £10 million worth of insurance cover, plus the magazines which are worth a read.

As for "and find somewhere to hunt" everybody has that problem but 2 options are -
Beaches, many in the SW are owned by the Crown Estate who currently do not issue permits but you just have to agree to the T&Cs - maps and info here http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural-a ... ting/maps/
Join a group like Lets Go Digging http://letsgodigging.com/ I accept going out with a big group like this is not everybodies cup of tea, but its a social and good way to pick up tips and provides land to detect if you have not got your own.

Evan

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Sun May 14, 2017 8:53 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good luck.

Davy999

Post by Davy999 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks all for the welcome and the info.

Saffron, I have already signed up to the ncmd site so have that sorted and have now had. Look at the crown estates link you sent. Thanks for that I will study further as time allows.
Ref. astronomy, most of the radio astronomy from the observatory was on my site, and I still operate a busy radio astronomy site here http://www.merriott-astro.co.uk/spam3D.htm

Thanks again for the info and hellos

Dave

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon May 15, 2017 11:09 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Greetings from East Riding.

steamcleaner kev

Post by steamcleaner kev » Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm

hello from bridgwater somerset ::g

Davy999

Post by Davy999 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks guys, a few "locals" here then, Bridgwater , burnham on sea etc.. ::g

ironwarning

Post by ironwarning » Mon May 15, 2017 8:03 pm

bristol here

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Thu May 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi Dave welcome to the forum and great intro. I'm sure it will all come back to you once you get out there and start swinging and listening for those 'dig me' signals!

Happy digging ::g
Derbyshire based concealed junk removal operative.

Catch my latest hunt 77
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0n71IKEs4
milled silver .925 x10
Roman find (see day 58)
Hammered silvers x3 (see day 60 +62)
GOLD rings (see day 68 + 70)

Davy999

Post by Davy999 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks for the welcome Trev! ::g

deepskysteve

Post by deepskysteve » Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi Davy, About time you got a detector :-) Davy and I are partners in crime in astro imaging at the NLO :-)
Steve
Minelab Soverign XS coin shooter, Whites Prizm 4, Makro racer

Davy999

Post by Davy999 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:15 am

hi TF

Yeah, we have both already put our name down for that one as interested. I am still waiting for my membership card to arrive, although I only joined up last Friday :-)

Dave

Return to “Introduce yourself here”