Newbie from North Shropshire

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
carldr

Newbie from North Shropshire

Post by carldr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:37 am

Hi all,

I thought i'd introduce myself. I'm Carl, 42, and live near Ellesmere in Shropshire.

Metal detecting is something I've wanted to do for some time but never really got round to (so many hobbies, so little time!) but new seems the right time for it. I'm totally new to the hobby, and had my XP Deus delivered yesterday.

I'm very fortunate to have gained permission on about 100 acres of farm land within walking distance of me, so hopefully I won't have a problem putting in the time to learn my machine - if only the rain would stay away. Not having a permission was the final blocker to me starting the hobby, so the moment that was sorted, I ordered the Deus.

I've joined a local club, Cornovii Discoverers MDC, who have been helpful so far, and I'm looking forward to joining them on their upcoming digs.

My immediate goal is simple - to find a roman coin. It's something I've wanted to do from being a kid. I think that's quite achievable given the roman history around Whitchurch especially. I don't think there is much chance on my current land, but hopefully some of the club's land will produce for me.

Anyway, hopefully one day I'll be asking you all to ID some finds of mine, but until then I'll look on at yours with some envy.

Carl.

Full XP Deus, WS4 backphones, MI-6 pinpointer, two legs and a sore arm.

Dave The Slave

Re: Newbie from North Shropshire

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi Carl and welcome to the Forum.
You`ve done things the right way around by getting the permission first, then the detector.
Still have fond memories of Salop as I grew up in Bridgnorth and that was where I first got into detecting 40 years ago. Plenty of Civil War action round there.
Good luck with the Roman, hope you get a decent example, may take time.
Be prepared for lots of rusty iron but every so often something interesting will be found that you need to find out about.
Don`t be afraid to ask questions, everyone was a total beginner once.
Post photos of your finds and you will be amazed at the info contained in the replies.
Use the Blue panel on the left as your A to Z dictionary.
Good Luck and look forward to seeing what you find, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

carldr

Post by carldr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks Dave.

You're right about rusty iron. Just been out for an hour, found a few chunks, two shotgun cartridges and a ring pull. From what I've seen, that's quite normal!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Hello Carl, Welcome aboard the forum ::g That's an impressive and well ordered start you've made to the hobby. The fact that you've already become a member of a club and also gained a permission dispenses with the two most common difficulties detectorist have to contend with so, nice one!

Good Luck and enjoy your time on the MDF ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

carldr

Post by carldr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Yeah, I must be growing up. It's very rare for me to not jump right in at the purchasing stage and worry about the details later!

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. Looks like you are off to a great start. We look forward to hearing about your finds in the near future. Greetings from East Riding.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”