Hi to all on the forum

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
ubdai66

Hi to all on the forum

Post by ubdai66 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Hello from a finally dry day in Essex. After a week of rain.

I'm a newbie who is contemplating taking up metal detecting and have joined the forum to aid in my research in which detector would should a new starter for use here in the UK and possibly overseas.
So it would need to cover the normal type of articles found in the UK and also the possibility of gold flecks /pickers overseas.

As I'm in Essex any info on groups or people who are prepared to show a newbie the ropes on detecting would be appreciated.

Thanks
ubdai66

Fisher F75

Metalmickey2359

Re: Hi to all on the forum

Post by Metalmickey2359 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Welcome. ::g
Like you I’m a relative newbie.
This is a good place to get sound and useful information. I’ve done a great deal of research here and realised that I did it all wrong. I would suggest, like most people will, that you find a permission first and or join a club then buy a detector. Incidentally, all has come good for me so far!
All the best,
Mike
Mike

Nox 800 x2 (won one)
Carrot

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Welcome to the forum from Cambridgeshire. I echo the points above u;@ Good luck!
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:31 am

Hello and welcome. I echo the above advice. Finding somewhere to detect is probably the hardest part.
It only takes 24 hours to get a machine delivered, it could take weeks, if your lucky, to find a field.
As far as your requirements are concerned it could be an Equinox would suit all. That depends on your budget of course.
Best of luck, hope you find somewhere quickly ::g

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Don't they give you beaches even, in the UK ? If they do then that would be somewhere to start.

Abroad the rules are very mixed, so some research but best of all is talking to local detectorists to understand how the rules work in practice. For smaller gold (as well to be used as mixed) you would normally choose a high freq vlf detector, there are several makes. If you are after sands that contain gold for panning there are some with iron readout to find heavy sand. If you are starting choose a lighter detector maybe, or at least not heavy one. Have to read up, but it need not be high end to work well.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi and welcome to this great forum. Greetings from East Riding.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”