Hi from Exeter

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Beercan

Hi from Exeter

Post by Beercan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi there,

Newbie here from Exeter in Devon.
Looking to buy my first detector, and being lucky and having large amounts of farmland, rivers and sea nearby I'm struggling to land on which detector to buy!

Looking forward to engaging in this forum.

Steve

FUBAR

Re: Hi from Exeter

Post by FUBAR » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. Plenty advice on here concerning which detector to buy. Depends on how much you want to spend. I started off with the Garret AVE 250 then moved up to e Trac and now it's the ctx. Greetings from East Riding.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:13 pm

Welcome to the forum, its a great place to start to learn about the hobby.

Lots of advice on here about different machines. Giving an idea of your price range would help people give suggestions (but forum does not allow Brand A vs Brand B subjects).

Fubar made a typing error, sadly I make lots of them, he meant the Garrett ACE 250. I also started with one as did many on here, and I still have it as a back up. It is a very good starting machine and fantastic value for money IMHO.

However since I got mine Garrett have intorduced the 300 and 400 (both a bit more expensive) and these also have great reviews and I am sure users would recommend them.

Evan

Beercan

Post by Beercan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 am

Thanks for the welcome both.

I was looking at the 250 but due to wanting one for good beach use I seem to be creeping toward the Euro Ace (350), or the Bounty Hunter Platinum; both similarly priced.

I'm also learning permissions isn't so easy as everywhere I thought I could use it is an SSSI...!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:48 am

Hello Steve, Welcome aboard and enjoy your time with us on the MDF::g Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:02 am

"Beercan",
one thing I should have said is if detecting beaches you will find "yourself", and lager cans, and cider cans, and soft drink cans .... it just one of the "pleasures" of beach detecting.

Just remove all the cans and other junk and consider it a fair exchange for being able to get out in the fresh air and maybe find the odd good item.

As for getting inland permissions that is a problem that many new detectorists have, so you are not alone. But unlike those a distance from the coast you still have the option of detecting on a beach.

Evan

Beercan

Post by Beercan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks Evan; yes I am extremely lucky to have so many options open to me.
I do get the impression that I will be collecting quite a bit of rubbish from my local beach!
Regards, Steve

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi beercan, big welcome from the Exminster area.
Deffo a good name for beach detecting down here as no matter what detector you end up with you'll be finding-em!
Do your research carefully re choice of detector and dont be tempted to buy 2nd hand unless you know the seller and have someone with you who detects already.
The MDF sales shop have all the detectors and gear you need, and either on-line or dealerships are plentiful. Always prefer a dealership or forum shop if purchsing as you'll get a warranty and good after sales.
Apart from price where you're going to use the detector will point you towards one make or another. Some are good on both beach and land others arnt so good.
Started with a ace 300i, ended with a makro m.k. but there are so many good detectors out there the choice isn't easy.
Get yourself some N.C.M.D. membership for insurance and is also necessary if you want to join a club and get onto club digs. Plenty in this area but always a waiting list.
Look forward to seeing how you get on, tons of advice and banter on the forum so a very good place to start.
Wishing you luck and welcome again!
Len👍
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”