Hello from Sale (Greater Manchester) - Newbie Metal detector(ist?)

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
XBDean

Hello from Sale (Greater Manchester) - Newbie Metal detector(ist?)

Post by XBDean » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Evening all,

Dean here, 29 years old from Sale.

Recently got into coin collecting (Personal fav = 1889 Silver Crown)
Bought myself a metal detector yesterday (Garrett Ace 150)
Went out MD'ing for the first time today (Plenty of coppers & bottle tops)

I've been into carp fishing for the past few years.
More recently got into magnet fishing last year (finds inc. Safes, Knifes, Mountain Bikes, Computers, shotgun shells... Found myself a very fresh looking Leatherman Wave last weekend).

I've recently been educating myself on a wide variety of coins through the ages and quickly got hooked on collecting over the past 4 weeks.
100+ coins later & after a telling off from the missus and I'm now on a coin purchasing ban.

So I went and got myself a metal detector.

Took the MD for a test drive today. The back garden now ever so slightly resembles Verdun, although in my defence I did get better at digging holes & covering them up by the time I got round to the front garden. After another telling off from the missus I went for a few swipes across the woodlands & fields around the back of my house collecting coppers & bottle tops.

I'll be sure to stick around the forums & gain some tips from any veterans out there.
If any1 is ever MD'ing in the Sale / Timperley / Altrincham area then give me a shout!

Looking forward to wading through some of the old forum posts & picking up some knowledge.

Cheers

Tetra73

Re: Hello from Sale (Greater Manchester) - Newbie Metal detector(ist?)

Post by Tetra73 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Welcome to the forums from Cornwall ::g

mitch

Post by mitch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:54 pm

welcome and enjoy the forum, equally enjoy your new hobby.
'where's the rich stuff Mikey?'

Timmy 64

Post by Timmy 64 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Welcome from sunny Cornwall and good luck with your metal detecting with your garret 150👍

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:05 pm

Hello Dean and welcome aboard the forums ::g It's good to see you're keen to read up on the many forums (over there l;/ ) which are awash with tips, helpful advice and a good selection of experienced 'user reviews' covering all the popular makes and models of detector.

The forum guide at the top of this page is the recommended starting point for new members and especially those new to our hobby as it contains details concerning legal obligations and a variety of helpful tips to get you started in your new hobby.

Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the MDF ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:46 am

XBDean wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Evening all,

More recently got into magnet fishing last year (finds inc. Safes, Knifes, Mountain Bikes, Computers, shotgun shells... Found myself a very fresh looking Leatherman Wave last weekend).

I've recently been educating myself on a wide variety of coins through the ages and quickly got hooked on collecting over the past 4 weeks.
100+ coins later & after a telling off from the missus and I'm now on a coin purchasing ban.

Took the MD for a test drive today. The back garden now ever so slightly resembles Verdun, although in my defence I did get better at digging holes & covering them up by the time I got round to the front garden. After another telling off from the missus I went for a few swipes across the woodlands & fields around the back of my house collecting coppers & bottle tops.

I'll be sure to stick around the forums & gain some tips from any veterans out there.
If any1 is ever MD'ing in the Sale / Timperley / Altrincham area then give me a shout!

Looking forward to wading through some of the old forum posts & picking up some knowledge.

Cheers
Dean,
welcome to the forum.

The Garrett 150 is a good starter machine (I started with the 250 which has the main advantage over the 150 of the pinpoint function, but with practice you will soon learn how to accurately pinpoint with the 150). Many on here started with either the Garrett 150 or 250 and will also vouch for it.

But lets get this right.
1) You are recently into coin collecting, and have got 100+ coins in the last two weeks. So "after a telling off from the missus and I'm now on a coin purchasing ban"
2) You are into carp fishing, which I know (I do a fair bit of coarse fising) if after the large ones is bot very time consuming and the tackle can be very expensive.
3) You got into magnet fishing last year, again a hobby which I believe can be very time consuming.
4) "The back garden now ever so slightly resembles Verdun", and you got "another telling off from the missus".

It does sound as if your good lady has rather a lot to put up with between all the above x;

By your avatar it looks like she also has a young baby, or toddler by now?, to look after too. From your intro I do wonder if you or the baby take more watching to see what they are up too :D :D

Just a very quick double check, as you seem to be in trouble with the wife I do not want you to get into trouble with anybody else!. You said you only got the detector yesterday then (after a telling off) "went for a few swipes across the woodlands & fields around the back of my house". Before you can detect anywhere you do need permission from the landowner, you might well have got it and not mentioned that, if so very well done as lack of some where to detect is a problem that a lot of new detectorists face.

Happy detecting and post your finds on here, but also take care of the good lady and little one.

Evan

XBDean

Post by XBDean » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Saffron wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:46 am
XBDean wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Evening all,

Cheers
Dean,
welcome to the forum.

The Garrett 150 is a good starter machine (I started with the 250 which has the main advantage over the 150 of the pinpoint function, but with practice you will soon learn how to accurately pinpoint with the 150). Many on here started with either the Garrett 150 or 250 and will also vouch for it.

But lets get this right.
1) You are recently into coin collecting, and have got 100+ coins in the last two weeks. So "after a telling off from the missus and I'm now on a coin purchasing ban"
2) You are into carp fishing, which I know (I do a fair bit of coarse fising) if after the large ones is bot very time consuming and the tackle can be very expensive.
3) You got into magnet fishing last year, again a hobby which I believe can be very time consuming.
4) "The back garden now ever so slightly resembles Verdun", and you got "another telling off from the missus".

It does sound as if your good lady has rather a lot to put up with between all the above x;

By your avatar it looks like she also has a young baby, or toddler by now?, to look after too. From your intro I do wonder if you or the baby take more watching to see what they are up too :D :D

Just a very quick double check, as you seem to be in trouble with the wife I do not want you to get into trouble with anybody else!. You said you only got the detector yesterday then (after a telling off) "went for a few swipes across the woodlands & fields around the back of my house". Before you can detect anywhere you do need permission from the landowner, you might well have got it and not mentioned that, if so very well done as lack of some where to detect is a problem that a lot of new detectorists face.

Happy detecting and post your finds on here, but also take care of the good lady and little one.

Evan
Thanks for the heads up Evan!
This probs sounds very ignorant of me to an experienced MD but I honestly had no idea about permission on public land. I was shocked to hear about the error in my ways after having a read through the forum posts last night.

There's a lot of farm land in the area, I'll reach out to the owners to see if I can smooth talk them into letting me have a play in their fields

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. Great introduction. Greetings from East Riding.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”