Guide to buying a Metal Detector and other things

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
breuddwyd

Guide to buying a Metal Detector and other things

Post by breuddwyd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:26 pm

I wanted to ask advice on buying my first metal detector (having a few specific requirements!)

mrix
Founder

Re: Guide to buying a Metal Detector and other things

Post by mrix » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:53 pm

Hello and welcome to the MDF OooO
Hope you can make some good use of the place ::g

Regarding a choice of metal detector You state you have a few specific requirements! ?

Where are you intending to be using the machine ? have you a specific budget ?

Thanks
mrix

breuddwyd

Post by breuddwyd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:11 pm

I’m a complete beginner looking for guidance as to what to look for in a metal detector to meet my needs, and some outright recommendations of models if you please.

I first thought to get a metal detector to find some lost pieces of some of my other hobbies littering my ½ acre garden, amongst them 1-modern fibreglass arrows with metal heads, aluminium or stainless steel, which have disappeared into my lawn 2-stainless steel pegs used to fasten down dog agility tunnels also lost in the grass/been trodden into the soil. Both will potentially be under the soil by an inch or so, and in the case of the arrows may be under twigs and pine needles.

Complicating things (I assume!) is I live in an area of lead mining for >2000+ years, the garden is mostly an ex agricultural field and flat however surrounding me everywhere on the mountain are pits and mines ranging from tunnels 300yards deep running for miles, to 20 foot deep surface pits, to 4 foot exploratory surface holes with surrounding spoil piles, now all covered with grass and gorse. I think it’s highly possible that under the soil of my garden are filled-in holes of this sort. A few fist-sized and smaller lumps of stone with high lead content (I’m guessing by the weight of them!) have turned up in digging out a vegetable patch, so there’s probably quite a few around. I’m guessing these lumps of lead would cause some extra noise?

Aside from the practical 'find MY lost stuff' side my hope is maybe I’d also find something interesting and historical e.g. coins, arrowheads, tools etc going with the high use of the area for millennia.

Any guidance please? The cheaper the better provided it can do the job I need, < £150 preferably. I’m 5’11 and would prefer something adjustable with long reach so I’m not having to bend over.

Bors

Post by Bors » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:14 pm

where abouts are you N or S Wales . The only area by me for Lead in the Mountain is Halkyn.

breuddwyd

Post by breuddwyd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:32 pm

Bors wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:14 pm
where abouts are you N or S Wales . The only area by me for Lead in the Mountain is Halkyn.
Correct! :D Anyone would think you were good at finding things... including people?

Bors

Post by Bors » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:29 pm

It`s called Multi tasking. :)) ::g

breuddwyd

Post by breuddwyd » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:28 pm

Has anyone any suggestions please? :-/

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Many people do not wish to find object that are ferrous " containing iron " as its normally a junk target, Most metal detectors including entry level machines will find your lost finds but you would have to make sure the discrimination is set to off or set very low as it will cancel the stainless steel out ::g
Your best bet would be to test your metal detector using any similar target like the pegs and arrows you already have before searching for the lost items ::g

The trouble is its likley your lawn will be filled with small rubbish junk fragments so the job of finding a small ferrous " including stainless steel " among so much possible junk might be quite a task.

Bors

Post by Bors » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:39 pm

I think another reason no one up to now has "suggested" anything specific ,is because with your possibilities of ground condition you`ve mentioned, no one wants to suggest anything in case, if you buy any of the detectors suggested ,and you find out the detector was totally useless in your ground , you could say you were misguided into buying it . So my thoughts are along that reason.
I like the username by the way " Breuddwyd " (Dream ) in English .

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”