Analog detectors.

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Grave digger

Analog detectors.

Post by Grave digger » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi all' I am new to this forum but not to metal detecting' I hunt with a Tesoro cibola' compadra' and a laser scout themes ' is there eny other old hands on here that still use analog detectors.

Oxgirl36

Re: Analog detectors.

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi and welcome. Yes we have a wide range of old school detectorists on here. The Tesero section is here viewforum.php?f=30 and other makes can be foind in the menus on the left.

Enjoy the forum ::g :D
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

Grave digger

Post by Grave digger » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi diggers' going up top Perthshire in June to a place called dunalistair ' we are going on a fishing trip as we always do in June ' I will be taking my laser scout themes ' hope to find some good long lost items as itis is a historic site that gose back to thr 12th' century ' you never know what is lying under you're feet . I found a sword last year but was unable to dig it out as it was buried under tree roots to thick to cut through so I had to leave it there ' I might go back one day and have another go at reatreving it . I did mange to find the belt buckle it would of been attached to the sword ' don't know if the person who it belonged to was under the tree roots " you never know . . It was a battle ground after all. ⚔⚔⚔

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:25 pm

Hello Grave digger ::g Not sure if you're aware that an additional 39 sites in Scotland have recently been officially listed as historic battle sites so if you're not sure, it would be prudent to check in case any restrictions apply. Have a good fishing/detecting holiday ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:50 pm

1260x and 1265x ::g ::g ::g

these a few old school detectors being used.

not many though

Bors

Post by Bors » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:14 am

I`m still using my Tesoro Bandido U Max 2, when I feel a little nostalgic and just want some good old fashioned detecting done .It tends to be akin to stepping from one era back into another. :D

Magnas

Post by Magnas » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:03 am

Hi Grave digger

You should probably consider reporting that sword find to Treasure Trove Scotland https://treasuretrovescotland.co.uk/found-something/ the rules are slightly different in Scotland than they are in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Nice thing to find though.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:07 pm

Some great analog detectors...just because something is digital doesn't necessarily make it the dog's whatsits IMO.
Many Tesoros were and still are superb coin shooters and had brilliant pinpointing....which means they are nimble and I could always dig three or four targets while some supposedly superior detectors were still fiddling about with one.
The GMP is analog I suppose (knobs and 'o'clocks rather than screens and scrolling. ) But it is a very good detector with superb recovery speed....better than a Deus because it has no screen to slow things down.
I think attitude to analog comes down to when you took up the hobby. People who only have a few years under their belt will most likely have gone from a basic analog as a first detector and 'up-graded' to a digital machine. Thing is, they have probably never used an up-market more capable and nuanced analog machine. Plus they used an analog machine when they were inexperienced and conflate their greater ability and knowledge with getting a digital set-up.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 pm

Bors wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:14 am
I`m still using my Tesoro Bandido U Max 2, when I feel a little nostalgic and just want some good old fashioned detecting done .It tends to be akin to stepping from one era back into another. :D

I built one of those from scratch. Probably the pinnacle of Tesoro design. I built a 5.75" coil for it.

Great combo around Victorian rubbish filled areas.

Bors

Post by Bors » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:59 pm

Koala wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 pm
Bors wrote:

I built one of those from scratch. Probably the pinnacle of Tesoro design. I built a 5.75" coil for it.

Which came STD with a Concentric Coil . ::g :))
And if memory serves me well, many detectorists have fitted a DD on it , but say they prefer the concentric Stock coil .

Why would that be if there`s no difference between the two coils . ?

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Bors wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:59 pm
Koala wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 pm
Bors wrote:

Which came STD with a Concentric Coil . ::g :))
And if memory serves me well, many detectorists have fitted a DD on it , but say they prefer the concentric Stock coil .

Why would that be if there`s no difference between the two coils . ?
Good question. Tesoro coils are one of the easiest to build, so I have built plenty in both DD and concentric.

First your mileage might be difference in your fields but these are my findings

depth in the field on these old machines is proportional to how little discrimination you use. By using quality headphone you can run pretty low well down in the foil range so you are digging foil but not iron. However some iron is starting to break through. This is where the headphones come in. Its not a clean beep but broken.

set up like this with a concentric and its fairly quite with occasional broken tones. About the only iron you will dig is large washers

with a DD setup this way you get far more cracks and pops plus forged nail bent at 90 and horseshoes fool it. You can turn up the discrimination but you then loose performance

objects on edge pinpoint close to the centre On ploughed fields were most of the finds are in the top 6" you don't need to use a spade. Put a trowel in an inch behind the target and scoop it upwards. 90 percent of the time it will be lying on the top saving having to search through a clod of soil.

Bandido is a bit funky on the ground balance. Which it only weakness. Get it wrong and big silver flips into the iron reject range.

There's only one field I have been on. A peat bog that a DD was possibly the way to go.

of course we have people from all over the world and UK. If your fields are full of magnetite or similar the results would be reversed

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed May 01, 2019 10:39 am

Quote LittleBoot:"The GMP is analog I suppose"
It's audio processing is done entirely by microprocessor, which is probably the key to how it produces it's fairly unique 'noise' , which a truly analogue machine would struggle to reproduce. So while it nicely features rotary controls for ground accept/reject etc , it still heavily depends on modern tech to make it what it is.
:(

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed May 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Yes, that is why I hedged my bets. It is a hybrid in a way between analog and digital. Still love it to bits and will never part with it.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”