Newbie.

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
ojays

Newbie.

Post by ojays »

Hi,
the names Gregg and as yet haven't done any detecting.
I'm 71 going on 35 (in mind) and have had a pretty active life so far.
Been a model builder since 6yrs of age, involved in several motor sports over the years, and retired from my garage, paint and body business.

Now living in an easy living establishment and full time carer for my disabled wife, I need to get out now and again just to relax my mind.
I don't mind my own company, and going for walks with our little pooch I find relaxing.

For a while I have realised that I need a more outside related hobby, as I feel I'm letting age catch up with me.

However I enjoy a challenge, and recently read a copy of Treasure Hunting.
This piqued my interest as I enjoy being outside, and in my younger years used to trawl rubbish dumps on ex WWII military land with a spade and sieve.

I'm not expecting any major finds (if I find anything at all) but feel it will allow me to be outside, and provide a challenge at the same time.

I recently bought a new Nokta Macro Symplex+, and a second hand pointer and several tools as starters.

Hopefully I will get some ideas from your members.

Regards
Gregg

NoxHunter

Re: Newbie.

Post by NoxHunter »

Hi and welcome to to the forum ::g
🏴‍☠️ Minelab Equinox Dirt Fishing For Gold.Silver.Copper.Bronze 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Staffordshire 🇬🇧

alloverover

Post by alloverover »

Good luck Gregg, the key is land mate, somewhere to search, far better if you can talk to a farmer/landowner and get permission rather than going down the pay to dig route with hundreds of others ::g

ojays

Post by ojays »

NoxHunter wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 pm
Hi and welcome to to the forum ::g
Thank you.

jnhutton

Post by jnhutton »

Hi Gregg

Im also fairly new to this forum, although not to detecting. My Dad bought me a "Treasure Tracer MkII" from an electronics mag in the early 70's. I am also in a similar situation to you in that I have stepped away from work to take care of my wife, but am now finding some time to restart my hobby.

I have started seeking permissions from local farmers and am currently awaiting responses, but hope for at least one positive reply. If you are in the midlands area, Id be glad to meet up and spend time digging up junk with you if you wanted.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck. There is loads of help, advice and support on here for newbies.

J.
Enjoying the hobby since 1971.
NCMD Membership No. 09079
Garrett Ace 250
Standard coil
Extra enthusiasm

ojays

Post by ojays »

jnhutton wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:43 pm
Hi Gregg

Im also fairly new to this forum, although not to detecting. My Dad bought me a "Treasure Tracer MkII" from an electronics mag in the early 70's. I am also in a similar situation to you in that I have stepped away from work to take care of my wife, but am now finding some time to restart my hobby.

I have started seeking permissions from local farmers and am currently awaiting responses, but hope for at least one positive reply. If you are in the midlands area, Id be glad to meet up and spend time digging up junk with you if you wanted.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck. There is loads of help, advice and support on here for newbies.

J.
Thanks for the response.
I live in Hull and can't venture too far in case I'm needed back home, luckily the coast and farm land around here is only a short distance away.
I'm hoping to approach some of the developers around here, who seem to be buying up a lot of land around this area. Worth a try as lots of this land has the signs up that it has been acquired for future development.

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy »

Hi Gregg and welcome,

While it’s worth exploring all avenues when seeking permissions you may not find it so easy getting on developers land. They sometimes fear something important being found which could cause delays to their development.

Always worth a try though, good luck.

Tony ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Hello Gregg, Welcome aboard the forums and to this hobby ::g. Given your particular circumstances, the decision to join the ranks of the detectorist is a sound one combining as it does, both outdoor activity with indoor research where weather or circumstances dictate.

By all accounts, your machine is a very popular one which is said to perform well both inland and for beach operation so you seem to be very well equipped. Although the Simplex is a recently introduced model, there is already a dedicated forum for it HERE

You may like to browse through the titles in the blue panel over there l;/ where there is a very good section for newcomers to the hobby (link below) and a whole raft of other forums which will be of interest. HERE

Of course help is readily available should you have any questions on any aspect of the hobby, just ask away. Good Luck and enjoy your time as a member of the MDF community ::g

Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

Hi and welcome to the forum.Greetings from East Riding.Good luck and happy hunting matey.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”