T2 Classic. How to get max depth and any tips?

Topics related to Teknetics metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
ANDYdee

T2 Classic. How to get max depth and any tips?

Post by ANDYdee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi everyone. I know this has been asked countless times but there's so much contradicting advice I'm well and truly confused. Some say 4 disc will give you extra depth, some say 21 some say 51.... :-/

Some say run it at max sensitivity and some say don't go above 75.

My T2 is classic (2016) not a s.e or original. Does that make any difference to settings etc?

I normally run it 90 sens, 0 disc, 2+ tones. Loads of iron where I go but the grunts don't bother me and there's no interference even at 99!

I ground balance in disc mode first with the machine set up to 30 sens, 0 disc. When its ground balanced I change the machine to my normal settings.

Really like the machine but want to know I'm getting the max depth and best experience with the machine. Any advice? Thanks
T2 Classic If you need 30 year old buttons I'm your man.... :D

WVAM

Re: T2 Classic. How to get max depth and any tips?

Post by WVAM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 am

I've got the same machine and have had a similar conversation with Graeme at Unearthed (they supplied it and he's very helpful). I was finding that on 2+ tones I would get little "tick,tick" signals which I assumed were at the limit of depth and wanted to clean up before digging, or not. Switching to 1+ changes the signal from an iffy "tick,tick" to an identifiable tone (well most times). Either the machine is now just doing one job instead of 2 or it has a little more depth.
For general searching I use much the same as you 85-90,0,2+ but may switch to 85ish, 0-40, 1+. Really depends on what the background rubbish is like and, how I feel on the day. I haven't tried the dp tone setting yet - maybe next outing.

I am finding a few problems on freshly ploughed and rolled light soil (net search shows many /most machines hit problems with airy ground). The iron discrim isn't working as well compared to before ploughing on the same spot. I'm getting a few signals in the 50-65 range that disappear when I dig and are really hard to find once out of the hole - you would think the reverse. They tend to be small iron, tiny bits or wire or bits of nails. Also finding that small targets, spent .22 bullets, airgun pellets, tiny rivets are giving good signals in the ground but poorer signals once on the surface. In one case I dug a target, couldn't find it as signal was lost (hole and removed soil checked),and got bored looking, pushed all the soil back in the hole, checked again and got the signal back. Eventually found part of .22 bullet.

The T2 classic is turning out to be a very good machine. I had it, and me, dialled in for pasture and maize stubble. Now freshly turned ground is another learning curve.

Cheers,

Chris

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:37 am

I still use a original green T2 and its years old but i wont ever part with it as it was my main everyday detector for years and also its been my most productive in terms of gold etc,never used the stock coil mainly because i had a problem with it but have since bought a new one but still not used it yet.

The main coils i use for depth and currently used on the T2 is the NEL Storm 14x13 or the preferred option my SEF 15x12 but this setup is predominately used just for ground coverage on a new site or when i have limited time when the crops are just coming through,so ground coverage is more important than depth,but of course when using the larger coil you are certainly gaining much more depth over the stock coil and also one would image that it would miss small targets,but that is not the case with this setup its still very good on small items.But as mentioned this is a detector that is setup mainly too cover ground fast with the additional depth advantage as well.

Setting for the large coil that i use are 75-80 sens,4disc and 2+ but have been using 3+ of late,as alot of my permission have been deep ploughed and sown for peas then ground coverage is more important to me than depth as the crops are showing through so the window before no detecting on these fields is closing rapidly,may have 2 weeks before it stops so hence the need for the large coil being used.

The other coils that i also use are the NEL Sharpshooter,BIG NEL but finding that is heavy on my wrist at the moment so using the lighter 15x12 coil,for really trashy sites the superb little 5'' coil i find is deadly and for its size is pretty deep and that has found me a few nice gold coins over the last few years and never go out without taking that coil.
I just be a lurker these days.

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:56 am

Have a go with Gary's riverbank settings (see attached page). Sensitivity 95, Discrimination 35, Tone 1. I found these settings found me deeper targets when I had my T2.

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/teknetics_t2.htm
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:10 pm

A few years ago there was a thread on here where some users were getting poor depth.

Turned out to be their ground balance procedure.

link

Hopefully the classic is the same

ANDYdee

Post by ANDYdee » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks for the great advice. All this should keep me busy testing for a while. ::g
Unfortunately my coil has leaked this morning while washing it and its falsing all over the place! It's only around 2 weeks old.

It should dry out O.K. I think.... But just to make sure, I've bought a cors cannon coil. It will hopefully add a bit more depth and not loose too much sensitivity on small objects. Seems to be a good all around coil really. But there's not a lot of user reviews out there.

Thanks again, It's much appreciated. :D

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:40 pm

ANDYdee wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 pm
It's only around 2 weeks old.

It should dry out O.K. I think.... But just to make sure, I've bought a cors cannon coil.
Should have a 5 year warranty - back to the seller methinks.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Koala wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:10 pm
A few years ago there was a thread on here where some users were getting poor depth.

Hopefully the classic is the same
You're right. The current T2 Classic is the same as in the Unearthed video. Easy to auto ground balance as shown. Only needed to try frequency shift once - careful it doesn't bring in interference from pinpointer. On frequency 4 (startup setting) in my area the machine has been running really quiet at 85-90+ sens, disc 0, a pleasure to work it.

ANDYdee

Post by ANDYdee » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Yea, possibly. I'll give it a day or 2 to see what happens with the coil. I can see a very slight gap between the 2 layers and hopefully will just silicone it up and use the cover. I don't really want to send the machine back and wait ages for a replacement, but also don't want to trouble the seller.

A few of the T2's have had similar problems with a few people having seal the coil. Hopefully it will be fine.

Besides looking forward to using the new coil. Ha, I really need to calm down when buying stuff! My wallet is looking quite thin at the moment. #-o Cheers ::g

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 am

If you bought it from Unearthed, speak to Graeme about it, I'm sure he would just swap the coil out for you, no need to send the detector in.

ANDYdee

Post by ANDYdee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Yea, I bought it from unearthed, great shop. The coil seems to be fine now, I'm just going to silicone the gap and use the cover. I know I should send it back but its good enough for me. Cheers

Return to “Teknetics Forum”