Simplex+ Buttons hard to press??

Discussion of the Nokta Makro Simplex metal detector here only.
teltel

Simplex+ Buttons hard to press??

Post by teltel »

Hi all. (I am a newbie on the forum).

I have just got my new Nokta Simplex+ which I am very happy with, except....

The buttons on the control/display are VERY hard to press and (in my opinion) need excessive pressure and more often multiple attempts to operate and respond. The issue seems to be worse on the "+" button but similar on all buttons, and the control/display casing actually flexes and bends down slightly under the required pressure. I sometimes have to use two hands (one under the control unit) to apply enough pressure when pushing the buttons.

Has anyone else noticed or experienced a similar situation or do I have a problem/fault with my unit?

I would appreciate it if other owner/users could offer some feedback on how hard it is the press the buttons on their Simpex+ and if anyone else finds them very hard to press and unresponsive without excessive pressure.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered.

Moruglah

Re: Simplex+ Buttons hard to press??

Post by Moruglah »

Hi welcome to the Simplex. The buttons will ease up over time.
SIMPLEX +

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

teltel wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:27 pm
Hi all. (I am a newbie on the forum).

I have just got my new Nokta Simplex+ which I am very happy with, except....

The buttons on the control/display are VERY hard to press and (in my opinion) need excessive pressure and more often multiple attempts to operate and respond. The issue seems to be worse on the "+" button but similar on all buttons, and the control/display casing actually flexes and bends down slightly under the required pressure. I sometimes have to use two hands (one under the control unit) to apply enough pressure when pushing the buttons.

Has anyone else noticed or experienced a similar situation or do I have a problem/fault with my unit?

I would appreciate it if other owner/users could offer some feedback on how hard it is the press the buttons on their Simpex+ and if anyone else finds them very hard to press and unresponsive without excessive pressure.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered.
Hi Teltel,

I would say the buttons are not the easiest ones to press, but definitely I can do with one finger and never needed to put excessive pressure. I would say it is "normal".
I imagine being waterproof means they need thicker material to provide safety.
In my case the buttons needed the same pressure since the beginning, did not need time to get "softer".

So finally, it is my impression that it is not normal to need to put all this pressure.

You might want to contact the seller and have a chat.

Best wishes,

Christian.

JBM

Post by JBM »

Mainly the On/Off button. ;)

It seems to get easier with practice. :)

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

teltel

Post by teltel »

Thanks for the reply's so far.

Christians description of the button operation sounds like what I would expect as normal, and sounds different to mine. My buttons take much more pressure to operate.

I accept that there may be some easing with use and that the buttons may (by design) be slightly less positive and have less of a "clicky" feel in operation, due to the waterproof membrane, but mine are REALLY hard to press and unresponsive without a lot of pressure. As I said it can take two hands to operate which is extremely frustrating and can't be normal.

Obviously its difficult to appreciate the issue and what is normal without comparing directly in person, so hopefully I will get a general consensus form a large number of Simplex+ users before deciding whether or not to send it back

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

teltel wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:47 pm
Thanks for the reply's so far.

Christians description of the button operation sounds like what I would expect as normal, and sounds different to mine. My buttons take much more pressure to operate.

I accept that there may be some easing with use and that the buttons may (by design) be slightly less positive and have less of a "clicky" feel in operation, due to the waterproof membrane, but mine are REALLY hard to press and unresponsive without a lot of pressure. As I said it can take two hands to operate which is extremely frustrating and can't be normal.

Obviously its difficult to appreciate the issue and what is normal without comparing directly in person, so hopefully I will get a general consensus form a large number of Simplex+ users before deciding whether or not to send it back
Hi,

but surely to need to press with 2 hands is not normal. I think you don't need a consensus on this because no modern machine should need to be operated by brute force.

If I were I would contact the seller sooner rather than later.

BW,

Christian.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Some people just have "Sausage "fingers and find fiddly "buttons" a pain to operate, while others which I would describe as having "Piano playing fingers " don`t have a problem at all. It could be there is indeed a stiffness problem on this detectors buttons ,and the only real way to find out would be to have another person with more say "nimble " fingers to have a go at pressing the buttons to see if they can get a smooth operation. If they find a problem , then, there is indeed a problem.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

teltel

Post by teltel »

Thanks everyone who has commented to date.

The problem isn't sausage finger syndrome or a lack of dexterity and I don't find the buttons too small of fiddley to push, they just need a lot of (too much) pressure to function.

I have come to the conclusion that my unit is not normal and have emailed the dealer for assistance/resolution.

I will post an update once I have (hopefully) received a replacement.

Many thanks again for the responses and valued comments.

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog »

A lot of pool kit has these type of push buttons & they fail a lot.
Normally it's dirt preventing the switch from making contact & occasionally spider egg sacs (I kid you not).
Full disassembly & a clean normally does the trick but you shouldn't be expected to do this with a new machine.
Rolling about naked in mud will give the wrong impression.

JBM

Post by JBM »

Another thought have you got a protective cover fitted.?

I have and its easy to lift the cover area over the on/Off button. ;) when switching on/off.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Hi, The buttons are stiff

We all find that - they do ease off a bit after a few full days use

What I did to help is add the following ( see pics )

They are from Homebase - UK Store - Homeware

Have been on for a full days detecting I don't expect they will last forever - small protective plastic domes they just add more pressure when you push on them

Worth giving a try

Hope helps

Paul
DSC_3664.JPG
DSC_3662.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nokta Macro Simplex+
Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2

John Willetts - Made - Hand Digger
Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

teltel

Post by teltel »

Merneo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:08 am

Have been on for a full days detecting I don't expect they will last forever - small protective plastic domes they just add more pressure when you push on them

Worth giving a try

Hope helps

PaulDSC_3664.JPGDSC_3662.JPG
From reading many reviews and watching many video reviews, I still believe that mine is not normal. The issue is much worse on the two right hand side buttons ( "+" and "Settings") and after testing yesterday for about an hour, this morning, believe it or not the end of my thumb is sore! from having to press so hard.

To try and give the issue some kind of context...it is virtually impossible to use (especially) the settings or + buttons with one hand whilst simultaneously holding the detector coil above the ground. I have to lower the coil to sit on the ground and then I might get these buttons to function as more pressure can be applied, but at times I had to support the back of the control unit/display with my left hand to get any response from pressing really hard. (Makes using the detector a chore and pin pointing is a bit difficult as you can imagine)

So, if you can comfortably use the detector and manage to navigate all the settings etc with one hand whilst holding the coil of the ground, I don't think you have the same issue that I am experiencing.

That being said, for those with buttons that are just a little bit hard to press, your tip of using the little self adhesive neoprene domes is a great idea and would certainly help focus digit pressure and make button pressing easier.

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Hi,

It hurt my finger to start with

go back to where you got it from and ask the question

the domes I have used are solid with a bit of give

as I say time - use and the domes helped me

to start with could not use the pinpointer function with the button

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+
Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2

John Willetts - Made - Hand Digger
Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

teltel

Post by teltel »

Merneo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:14 am
Hi,

It hurt my finger to start with

go back to where you got it from and ask the question

the domes I have used are solid with a bit of give

as I say time - use and the domes helped me

to start with could not use the pinpointer function with the button

Paul
Paul, it sounds like your was similar if not quite as bad as mine. As far as I am now concerned, if the item can't be used as one should reasonably expect, it is faulty and not fit for purpose.

From watching many video reviews it is quite obvious to me that the buttons are normally much easier to press, (even when brand new) certainly a lot easier than mine, which is what I would expect, and as I said, the dome idea is a great tip to help make button pressing easier, but it should not be necessary to make such modifications to make the item useable. I.e not being able to use the pinpointing function due to the button being too hard to keep pressed, or causing finger pain due to excessive force required to push a button should not be acceptable.

I am sure this is a very uncommon/isolated issue as there is no one else complaining about it, and there would be if they were all the same as mine.

I'm not trolling the Simplex+ at all, it is a fantastic detector, and I will be more than happy with it, once I get a replacement that has normally and comfortably usable control buttons.

I will update on how I get on with getting a replacement from LP.

Junior

Post by Junior »

Merneo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:08 am

Worth giving a try

Hope helps

PaulDSC_3664.JPGDSC_3662.JPG

A lot I've seen the people fit them to the underside of the protective cover ... just mark on protective cover with a little dot with perm pen then fit buffers to inside of the cover...I have noticed mine are stiff...but only 5th outing .. done the above to the French stick...still on cover .. ::g

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

There is nothing to query if you ask me, if you need 2 hands to press a button it’s faulty send it back .
And I wouldn’t be having “they will get easier over time” responses either .
Give it back get another one ::g
Doctor - you’ve got 5 minutes to live
Me - Listen to comfortably numb
Doctor - but that’s 9 minutes
God - it’s ok

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Hi Telatel,

Agree with Pink Floyd: this is not normal. I know you already contacted the dealer and so you should wait for replacement.

But as you said, it is a fantastic detector - unfortunately you were unlucky to get a faulty one.

Good luck.

Christian.

teltel

Post by teltel »

Thanks again to all that have responded.

I did send the Simplex back to the supplier and today received confirmation that a new replacement is being dispatched and should arrive on Friday. Excellent customer service.

I will update again once I have had opportunity to compare the button operation of the new one with the returned item. I am quietly confident that there will be a big difference. lets see.

teltel

Post by teltel »

OK. Got my replacement Simplex+whp kit.

I can report that the control panel buttons on the new unit are much better. They are easier to press and respond as I would expect every time.

Note. As is reasonable to expect, the buttons and contact type used on the simplex (partly due to the design, being waterproof and materials used) will never have a ultra positive or "clicky" feel when pressing, but they should function consistently without having to apply unusably excessive pressure which is what I was experiencing on the original unit.

So I am very happy with the new Simplex and the customer service from LP who dealt with the issue without hesitation and I got my replacement within 5 days. Excellent.

Now can't wait for the end of lockdown to explore outside of my own property boundary!

Oh. I might now have a new issue with the wireless headphones not automatically re-pairing after powering off, which was not a problem with the previous kit. I may post a new topic on this as and when I have investigated more.

Happy hunting.

Copperballs1

Post by Copperballs1 »

Got my Simplex from Leisure Promotions for my birthday on March 21st - buttons are really good and responsive on mine with an excellent build quality. Not been able to use it (other than my back garden!) due to self isolation....it’s KILLING ME!!!!! %&*= %&*= :D

Return to “Simplex Forum”