New 5p and 10p Coins, Bad Detection

Discussion of the Nokta Makro Simplex metal detector here only.
seiko

New 5p and 10p Coins, Bad Detection

Post by seiko »

Hi new to the forum first post, just recived my simpex plus, done few air tests to see the ID on coins, i notice the new 5p and 10p do not give no signal unless you rest the coil on them, my mate has a garret 400 and he has noticed the same, is this normal ?.
Machine was ground balanced, and this is in every mode.

mrix
Founder

Re: New 5p and 10p Coins, Bad Detection

Post by mrix »

Very normal, unfortunately they have a higher steel content these days, it simply makes them a bad target, especially if your using a higher discrimination setting which could knock them out completely :(
the composition of 1p and 2p coins was changed from bronze to copper-plated steel in 1992 and the composition of 5p and 10p coins was changed from cupro-nickel to nickel-plated steel in 2011. The common denominator? Steel.

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM »

Believe it or not Seiko, its not such a bad thing depending on your situation. If you are on the beach either now or in the summer and you keep your discrimination really low: 2 things will happen, the first is that you'll start to hear a right load of rubbish and after you've dug a few pieces of that, your ears will start to seperate the rubbish from those 5 and 10p coins (provided you find one or two to start with, that is.
The second thing you'll find are the host of 5 and 10p coins that everyone else has missed because they've set their discrimination to high.
When I'd got a bit bored at the end of a few hours on the beach, I'd drop the disc on my m.m.k. to less than 5 and low and behold all the 5s and 10s appeared on areas I'd previously searched. Of course if you discount 5s and 10s as not worth the effort, my mate with his CScope is always happy to pick em up!😁.
Mrix is spot on with his advice on coin metal mixture and content, if you don't know what the coin is made of in the first place it can alter the perception of your target id's.
Good hunting mate.
Len
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

fred

Post by fred »

Even the iron cored coins give signature signals but I too tend to leave them if there are loads of other coins about. Of course there is always the risk that they may be masking better finds. However when things are very quiet I have been known to deliberately chase them out. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Moruglah

Post by Moruglah »

New coins have really poor metal content so this is ideal.
SIMPLEX +

seiko

Post by seiko »

picked a bounty hunter 3300 up for my grand son over the week end, this has a mono coil and picked up to 6" on the new 10p and 5p coins, shame the refresh rate is so slow on it, hard work in trashy ground, you have to swing so slow, I wander if it has to do with the mono on the discovery and the DD on the simplex ?

Moruglah

Post by Moruglah »

seiko wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:23 am
picked a bounty hunter 3300 up for my grand son over the week end, this has a mono coil and picked up to 6" on the new 10p and 5p coins, shame the refresh rate is so slow on it, hard work in trashy ground, you have to swing so slow, I wander if it has to do with the mono on the discovery and the DD on the simplex ?
Nothing to do with coils. It’s because the Simplex is set to ignore small iron.
And we are the only country with massively poor modern content coins.
Take it to a place that has older stuff and it will excel.
SIMPLEX +

templar616

Post by templar616 »

seiko wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:37 pm
Hi new to the forum first post, just recived my simpex plus, done few air tests to see the ID on coins, i notice the new 5p and 10p do not give no signal unless you rest the coil on them, my mate has a garret 400 and he has noticed the same, is this normal ?.
Just did the same test with my new Simplex , same result. I too was worried I had a duff machine :E

Moruglah

Post by Moruglah »

templar616 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:07 pm
seiko wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:37 pm
Just did the same test with my new Simplex , same result. I too was worried I had a duff machine :E
It’s normal. It’s due to poor metal content.
SIMPLEX +

Return to “Simplex Forum”