Simplex depth issue?

Discussion of the Nokta Makro Simplex metal detector here only.
mikesy

Simplex depth issue?

Post by mikesy »

Hi all,
I've had the Simplex for a couple of months now and I've noticed that out of all my coin finds except for large iron, I cant recall ever thinking " that was pretty deep" so I thought I would carry out a depth test using various coins.
Large plastic food trays each holding 2" of clean compost / earth mix were placed over various coins . As I laid the trays one at a time on top I passed the simplex over them each time a tray was stacked and my results were as follows:

At 6" ( 3 trays ) ,
A 1944 silver florin,
a 1916 silver 6d ,
a George the 6th penny
and a Cartwheel penny . All were detected ok with the vdi jumping up and down a bit but a digging signal( apart from the 6d which gave a weak crackle)

At 8" ( 4 trays)
Non of the coins gave a signal you would consider digging as they were very weak with no vdi , in fact both pennys were not even detected at 8".

I did the exact same test with my my backup detector a Eurotek pro 11" coil and found similar results except that the eurotek picked up the silvers better and gave more stable vdi numbers.

After all the videos and reviews on the Simplex I expected it to perform a bit better than these results. Unless I'm doing something wrong in the way I set up my test , either the Simplex coil seems faulty or the Simplex has been overhyped as being deep.
I'm not an experienced detectorist but I did do a lot of research before making my choice so anyone who can give me thier tuppence worth on thier Simplex if they have had similar or better results would be much appreciated. I just feel that this machine should be detecting a bit deeper than 6" coin depths or am I expecting to much from it?

Meant to add , the settings were Field mode, max sensitivity, GB done , no discrimination and clean ground ,clear from all metals
Thanks
Mike

ratty

Re: Simplex depth issue?

Post by ratty »

Unfortunately placing soil over the targets like that is not the same as an object that has been buried for a few or more years.
Mode, sensitivity, and ground balance all affect the detection signal.
I bought one as a backup machine and although i have only had a few hours using it there has been no problem with depth, it was picking up airgun pellets at 4+ inches and various coins at greater depth, swing speed is also a variable.
Don't be put off, to get yourself used to what the sounds are and if in doubt dig it. You will be digging iron at depth but that is the same for all detectors. Keep at it.. ::g

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Hi, Not found that many coins to comment

But a foil containter - beyond vdi range dug at well past 12 prob 14 inches

also foil /aluminium gives good signals - just the same a moo tubes takeaway trays and canslaw

So can go deep - just not found any coins yet that deep and only found 3 coins since having my simplex thats 5 outings

Hope it helps

also check online - the pics of the coils differ from the recalled coils think they have bracing bars between the ribs on both sided - new ones don't

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+
Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2

John Willetts - Made - Hand Digger
Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

Thanks ratty for the quick reply.
The Mode, sensitivity, and ground balance were all set for the deepest search, swing speed was varied but made no difference.
Ive put a lot of hours in with it digging everything at first so I could interpret the sounds and signals and I feel that im at the point were I can pretty much avoid the obvious trashy tones. Its the depth which is my concern as it appears that 8" seems to be the max it will go with coins and even then then it is not detecting large copper pennies over 6" . Watching videos of coin depth tests from various users their machines are giving great sounds and signals at 10" and more, all digable.
After the test with both machines I would feel more confident with the Eurotek as it seems to go deeper and give more stable sounds and VDI numbers.

Merneo, its the new coil I have. As I said , I've found large iron really deep but you can do this with other cheaper detectors. My friends Dr Otek machine finds large trash deep as well.
thanks

JBM

Post by JBM »

Talking about burying test coins.

Try this idea for something different.

Get a large plastic box. I suggest (30" X 18" X 14" deep.)

Drill a few drainage holes in the bottom.

Next cut a length of 2" diameter plastic tubing into smaller lengths to match the width of the box.

Drill holes both sides of the box to take the tubes at using various chosen differing level heights.

Using a sealing adhesive fix the tubes in the container box.

Now you need a single longer length of plastic tubing to slide fit within the 2" tubes.

Acquire some soil that that is clean having tested it by all the usual methods.

Fill the test bed box making sure that its compacted.I let mine settle for a couple of weeks.

Place an item in the tip of the sliding tube starting at the top and progress down until no detection takes place.

Its a clean and easy and way to try differing depths.

Like all methods at home it cant match an item in the field, but it works without mess.

I do cover the box with a lid when we have extreme weather like this week.

It costs peanuts to make and is fun to produce especially when we are grounded like this week. ;)

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

Hi J M,
I'll give that a try once the better weather comes.
Is there anyone finding their Simplex has the same max coin depth as mine or are you getting deeper finds? πŸ€”
Thanks

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

Are you doing the tests in the fields you are detecting in?
Reason i ask is if it is on your lawn or patio then there are a tonne of things that can affect the results
The EMI around houses, electricity cables, underground pipes and if a new build house, then a tonne of rubbish laid down under the lawns

In my opinion you are better off going to a field
Diging a hole
Then
Pushing the coin into the side wall of your hole, that way at least the ground directly above the coin will be intact
It will eliminate a huge amount of EMI etc
Worth a try because in the main the simplex has been reporting good target depths in tests in the fields
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Junior

Post by Junior »

Find a clear spot in your garden away from emi issues etc and do yourself a test bed... it's an idea.... leave it to settle ... as said before each bit of muck is different ...good luck ::g

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

I'm doing the tests in my garden but it makes sense to do them in the fields so 1st dry day I'll get out, same tests and post my findings.
Thanks for your advice.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

I have a very comprehensive finds garden in my back yard, the results there are almost identical to in field testing, when you test your Simplex do not get too hung up on whether something has been buried five minutes ago or 500 years, there is no meaningful difference on non ferrous targets. ::g

Just get testing!

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

I'm of the same opinion Ten pence but I'll get out do the tests that way I'll know for sure if the simplex is working as it should.
I've still not had anyone say they have similar depth results as myself so I've got to assume they are not.

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

My simplex goes real deep... well over 10” on anything penny sized or above. I’m just wondering if the ground conditions are playing a part for you of late. If its very heavy or clay soil which is saturated it might be affecting your results. I run the F3 field setting on max sensitivity.

Moruglah

Post by Moruglah »

That’s the fields fault and not the simplex.
I do have places like that were all finds ar 6” at most. But other places are deep.
SIMPLEX +

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

TinDigger wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:33 am
My simplex goes real deep... well over 10” on anything penny sized or above. I’m just wondering if the ground conditions are playing a part for you of late. If its very heavy or clay soil which is saturated it might be affecting your results. I run the F3 field setting on max sensitivity.
Good to hear your comments, thanks.
Just back from a stubble field ( lot of clay and wet), did the same tests and found it to have slightly better results especially on silvers. Picking them up better at 8" on a moderate swing with a reasonable vdi.
I also tried the other frequencies for comparison and I agree F3 gave a less scratchy signal and better vdi for deeper targets. F1 gave poorer signals than F2.
Still can't pickup coppers at 8" but I'll try again in a different field and drier conditions and see if there's an improvement. πŸ‘

JBM

Post by JBM »

Hi Mike, I have sorted out 3 of the 4 particular coins that you used for your test.

I cant find a florin of the 1944 era at the moment.

Its raining out and Iam getting over a chesty head cold.

When the liquid sunshine stops,I will try them in my test box for you.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for doing this, I'll be really interested in your results in comparison to mine.
Hope your cold clears up quickly.
ATB
Mike

JBM

Post by JBM »

Hi Mike,I have not forgotten, but Iam still on a few antibiotics to shift this chest infection.

Its also rather cold and wet out in the back garden at the moment.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Moruglah

Post by Moruglah »

JBM wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:24 pm
Hi Mike,I have not forgotten, but Iam still on a few antibiotics to shift this chest infection.

Its also rather cold and wet out in the back garden at the moment.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.
Health comes first.
SIMPLEX +

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

Take your time, best to get your health sorted and when your up for it, crack on.
Was out yesterday with the eurotek pro and I definitely get deeper finds than the simplex. Clean 1927 penny at garrett pin pointer depth. 9". Good enough signal.

Jacza

Post by Jacza »

Compost has a lot of mineralization, so the results are not so surprising. I think it's the same condition like in clayey soil, for such higher frequencies and smaller coils will improve the depth, especially for low conductive items.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

This post may go some way to provide assurance regarding the performance of the Simplex in locating deep finds (Hoards). I haven't yet read the article referred to so can't offer comment. Regards ss47 ::g

April Issue - Searcher Magazine
A disservice is no service at all.

JBM

Post by JBM »

mikesy wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:22 am
Take your time, best to get your health sorted and when your up for it, crack on.
Was out yesterday with the eurotek pro and I definitely get deeper finds than the simplex. Clean 1927 penny at garrett pin pointer depth. 9". Good enough signal.
Hi Mike, I just wrapped up warm and tried the George V real silver 6d,the George VI penny and a Cartwheel penny in my clean soil box test bed.

This was a quick test, but using the field mode and upping the sensitivity I got good readouts like yours and excellent sounds to match at 9"

A quick try with other optional preset modes, but they would not better the field mode readout and and audio.

At that point it was time to get back indoors with a hot coffee.

In all my years on this planet I cant remember weather like this.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

Thanks for the replies, all helpful.πŸ‘
I'll check out the isearch magazine issue.
Jerry, good to hear you are on the mend. Your results sound a bit better than mine. I had the 9" penny with the eurotek so I'm out tomorrow with the simplex back to where I found the penny to bury the coin into the same hole at 9" and see how the simplex does. I'll do a bit more depth testing and if things improve.
cheers all

Moruglah

Post by Moruglah »

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:25 pm
Thanks for the replies, all helpful.πŸ‘
I'll check out the isearch magazine issue.
Jerry, good to hear you are on the mend. Your results sound a bit better than mine. I had the 9" penny with the eurotek so I'm out tomorrow with the simplex back to where I found the penny to bury the coin into the same hole at 9" and see how the simplex does. I'll do a bit more depth testing and if things improve.
cheers all
As you test with the coin at 9” try ground balancing and also the GB set at 90.
SIMPLEX +

JBM

Post by JBM »

Hi Mike, I only used Auto G.B. :) Jerry.

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

πŸ‘

mikesy

Post by mikesy »

I'll try that a try at 90 gb. Thanks

Moruglah

Post by Moruglah »