battery life

Discussion of the Nokta Makro Simplex metal detector here only.
tyneoharrow

battery life

Post by tyneoharrow »

At the mo there is a lot of hype on-t-internet about this machine. Iv'e seen the vids, read the write-ups, and the reviews but what I need to know is this, and no-one seems to be touching on the subject, what is the overall life expectancy of the built in battery and, is it replaceable? I don't wish to appear crass, but would I have to buy a new machine if the battery came to the end of its life after two years down the line? Just a thought.

Moruglah

Re: battery life

Post by Moruglah »

Here it is.
The battery lasts 12ish hours but if you charge all the time it would last around 3-4 years.
But the batteries aren’t that expensive but rest assured Nokta Makro will take care of users. But by the time batteries start dying there will be repair centres that could do it.
SIMPLEX +

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

It's probably not discussed as there is no data on it with the detector being so new. It's a lipo battery so same life expectancy as any other lipo in a similar application which depends entirely how it's stored. If you store it fully charged in your warm house, expect 2 years at best. If you store it between 30-70% charged in a cool garage, expect 5+ years.

In terms of replacing the LIPO, it's not officially user replaceable but ultimately it's only four screws to get to it and it just plugs in so should be in the remit of all but the most ham-fisted of enthusiasts (it will of course void your warranty). See teardown pics here...

https://md-hunter.com/nokta-simplex-plu ... -pictures/

Koala

Post by Koala »

looks to be

How much and how Simplex it will be
simplex battery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Moruglah wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 pm
Here it is.
The battery lasts 12ish hours but if you charge all the time it would last around 3-4 years.
But the batteries aren’t that expensive but rest assured Nokta Makro will take care of users. But by the time batteries start dying there will be repair centres that could do it.
That's a very bold statement to make. How other than unless you work for Nokta/Makro can you say that with authority as It appears your doing.
Not being funny or critical in any way .Just asking for clarity on the Quote.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Koala

Post by Koala »

how long it will last will depend how much its used and how well its looked after

its a LiPo so at least 500 full charges would be my guess

Full to half twice would be the same as on charge so probably a few thousand outing would be my guess

in the photo you can see a battery protection board. To protect the battery from becoming so discharged it becomes damaged.

What normally kills the battery is putting it away nearly fully discharged then left.

looks like a phone battery? Probably is an off the shelf part. By comparison most phones are charged everyday for a couple of years before it performance starts to degrade

Bors

Post by Bors »

Personally I wouldn`t fret about battery life as it seems most people taking on average , don`t keep the detector for more than in the bracket of 12 months - 3 years ,so Its not going to be their worry anyway. It usually comes to a couple of owners down the line of the detectors ownership that it reaches the new battery requirement if the XP Deus is anything to go by :D
Nokta/Makro it seems do not make any life expectation on how long battery life is on the Simplex . But if the detector batteries with similar battery on board on other detectors is anything to go by the life expectancy is around 4 years on "average "

Copperballs1

Post by Copperballs1 »

Bors wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:20 pm
Moruglah wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 pm
Here it is.
That's a very bold statement to make. How other than unless you work for Nokta/Makro can you say that with authority as It appears your doing.
Not being funny or critical in any way .Just asking for clarity on the Quote.
I have been a recipient of the Nokta/Makro customer service - in one word brilliant! You just have to see how they dealt with customers who first purchased the Makro Racer with faulty coils/lugs a few years ago. I had a faulty coil and there was no quibble or delaying tactics - they simply sent me a new one. They kept me updated and even sent me a free pinpointer. I am about to buy the simplex as a back up to my Deus. I was tempted by the Anfibio - I think Nokta/Makro machines are really good and reasonably priced. I always look forward to their new offerings.

I think it was Dilek who I dealt with at Nokta/Makro - I would definitely have consumer confidence buying any machine from them. ::g

Copperballs1

JBM

Post by JBM »

Crikey the battery may outlast me. ;) :)

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

JBM wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 pm
Crikey the battery may outlast me. ;) :)

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.
you should aim for at least 2 battery changes ::g

I have to agree with Noktas after sales service
Dilek and the team were amazing in the early days and sorted things very quickly with no excuses
And as far as i am aware they are still top notch aftersales ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Moruglah

Post by Moruglah »

Also if you didn’t know. The rail under the handle area and cut out under the arm cup will be for an external battery.
Coming soon.
SIMPLEX +

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

Koala wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:24 pm

What normally kills the battery is putting it away nearly fully discharged then left.

..actually putting it away fully charged degrades the battery far more. Storing at 30% to 70% charge is OK, 50% being the ideal.

As a general rule, charge it up just before you take it out then just store it when you return.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Quote Tindigger .... " actually putting it away fully charged degrades the battery far more."

Quote Koala ......"What normally kills the battery is putting it away nearly fully discharged then left"

Anyone fancy going for the Middle option ? :D

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

I kind of already did, "50% being the ideal"!

Koala

Post by Koala »

TinDigger wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 am
Koala wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:24 pm

..actually putting it away fully charged degrades the battery far more. Storing at 30% to 70% charge is OK, 50% being the ideal.

As a general rule, charge it up just before you take it out then just store it when you return.
didn't really want to get into the details but.

This little board is a battery protection board

it will be set to switch off at somewhere between 2.2 to 2.9 volts varies between manufactures

you will loose another 5% in first 24h, then 5% per month which including keeping the protection board alive

At 2V the chemistry of the batteries changes and copper shorts start to grow within the cells

the protection board has a memory. If it records a voltage level below what the manufacture has set as a safe level to allow recharging it will short down permanently. No amount of fiddling will ever charge the battery again to prevent damage and/or fire

So storing the detector full discharged will ruin the battery if left as per my original post

if you want to extend the battery life you could

only charging to 80% as well as or reducing the temperature /current and discharging to 20% will prolong the battery life but obviously you will loose capacity / hours detecting

simplex battery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

Just fer info: The battery shown in that MD Hunter teardown image has its details clearly readable.
Size is 804060, meaning 8.0mm x 40mm x 60mm. And the capacity is shown as a decent 2300 mAh.
A quick web search shows that it's often specified as 2000 mAh, so NokMak haven't cut corners there.
So it should be possible to source your own replacement if need be, plus there's always the option of using a slightly smaller (shorter/narrower) cell.

tyneoharrow

Post by tyneoharrow »

Thanks chaps for your input, I have no doubt that this topic will carry on for awile at the least until the manufacturer decides to change the spec.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

You will of sold it long before you have any battery issues ::g

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought »

ive just got a simplex, but have had a quest Q40 for the best part of 3 years, it also has a lipo battery and I can say that its in no way noticeably different in performance to when it was new. I have no fears about the simplex battery, battery tech is light years pn from what it was even 5 years ago, (although I aint buying no electric car :D )
simplex+WHP ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z
golden mask, don't even ask ;;z
GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

Return to “Simplex Forum”