First Trip with Simplex

Discussion of the Nokta Makro Simplex metal detector here only.
devonlad

First Trip with Simplex

Post by devonlad »

Well had my first trip out with the simplex yesterday. And have to say I was very impressed. I split the day, morning using the Nox 800 and after lunch switched to the Simplex.
Settings were sensitivity (full) field mode, and manual ground balance.
The machine was very stable throughout the afternoon, and it took very little time to get my ear in on the tones. Third signal I had with it was a worn Edward III Penny, at a depth of 6-7 inches. The machine was really easy to use, but I felt very confident that this machine was not missing anything, it was picking up .22 air gun pellets and small fragments of lead with ease.
I dug two pieces of iron, one being the tip of ploughshare blade and the other was half of a Victorian horseshoe. I also found a nice amount of 18th and 19th century buttons, and a section of medieval pot leg. And of course Georgian grots..
I really like this machine, and will be using it exclusively over the next few months to really get to know it in detail, and it’s capabilities.
The only downside to the day was that it did not like the Mi6 pinpointer, tried it on each of the 3 frequency settings, and found number 3 to be the best of a bad bunch.

XP Deus; 11” X35, HF 9”
Minelab Equinox 800; 11”& 15”
Nokta Makro Simplex+ WHP
Minelab Pro Find 35
MI6 pinpointer
MI4 pinpointer
YouTube: Detecting Southwest GB

Oxgirl36

Re: First Trip with Simplex

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Interesting report, thanks devonlad. I’ve not heard anything bad about the Simplex - it seems like a great machine, especially if it’s finding hammered pennies at 6-7”!
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

devonlad

Post by devonlad »

I was very pleased with it as mentioned, the hammered penny signal was very solid, in my opinion it is a very capable and user friendly machine. As mentioned the only downside was the issue with the Mi6.
I am not into comparing machines or saying one is better than the other, as it causes conflict.
But hypothetically, if I was going to a prime site and had a problem with my Deus and Nox, I would certainly not be disappointed in having to use the Simplex..👍😁
XP Deus; 11” X35, HF 9”
Nokta Makro Simplex+ WHP
Minelab Pro Find 35
MI6 pinpointer
MI4 pinpointer

JBM

Post by JBM »

Interesting post DL.

For the money its got to be one for folks to take onboard.

Nokta-Makro seem to have watched and listened to other manufactures and come up with a very able machine thats more affordable.

Have you by any chance got their Pin pointer?

The videos covering it look just fine.

Happy hunting,

Jerry.

Copperballs1

Post by Copperballs1 »

Great to hear that the Simplex hasn’t disappointed - it seems you had a fantastic haul! I am curious, I have had Nokta/Makro machines before and the only downside was they loved Coke! How is the Simplex on coke? Is there a facility on the machine to notch it out?

Cheers,

Copperballs1 ::g

dondo

Post by dondo »

devonlad wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:48 am
Well had my first trip out with the simplex yesterday. And have to say I was very impressed. I split the day, morning using the Nox 800 and after lunch switched to the Simplex.
Settings were sensitivity (full) field mode, and manual ground balance.
The machine was very stable throughout the afternoon, and it took very little time to get my ear in on the tones. Third signal I had with it was a worn Edward III Penny, at a depth of 6-7 inches. The machine was really easy to use, but I felt very confident that this machine was not missing anything, it was picking up .22 air gun pellets and small fragments of lead with ease.
I dug two pieces of iron, one being the tip of ploughshare blade and the other was half of a Victorian horseshoe. I also found a nice amount of 18th and 19th century buttons, and a section of medieval pot leg. And of course Georgian grots..
I really like this machine, and will be using it exclusively over the next few months to really get to know it in detail, and it’s capabilities.
The only downside to the day was that it did not like the Mi6 pinpointer, tried it on each of the 3 frequency settings, and found number 3 to be the best of a bad bunch.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts about the simplex, very easy machine to learn.

dondo

Post by dondo »

Copperballs1 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:45 am
Great to hear that the Simplex hasn’t disappointed - it seems you had a fantastic haul! I am curious, I have had Nokta/Makro machines before and the only downside was they loved Coke! How is the Simplex on coke? Is there a facility on the machine to notch it out?

Cheers,

I took it on an area that is full of coke, not to the worse part of the site but it didn't find any.

devonlad

Post by devonlad »

dondo wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:40 pm
Copperballs1 wrote:

Cheers,

I took it on an area that is full of coke, not to the worse part of the site but it didn't find any.
As above really, though the site does have some, it caused the simplex no problem..
And Jerry, no I don’t have the their pinpointer, I expect I would have no issue if I did!

When Sid did his initial review using a pre launch model it had five levels of frequency shift which irradicated any problem, obviously the launched version has only three.
Maybe, Nokta Makro will address this in a software update, they seem to be a very accommodating company, and appear to really listen to the market and have produced this little gem!
XP Deus; 11” X35, HF 9”
Nokta Makro Simplex+ WHP
Minelab Pro Find 35
MI6 pinpointer
MI4 pinpointer

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

JBM wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:26 am
Are you talking about their "old" pin pointer or have they released a new one to go with the Simplex?

If you are talking about their "old" model, I have been using it for nearly 12 months and have used it *alot* in that period..

I have found it decent enough, very reliable and seems waterproof with no falsing. The down side is that I find its range is a bit limited especially on very small targets especially on things like foil.

On pre decimal coins ect, works fine, but did struggle a bit on a hammered penny...

That said, I will continue to use it, but when it comes time to change, I will probably try something else..I would really like something that worked wireless to do away with the "pin hole" speaker as I think that's a point of weakness on so many designs/makes of pinpointer..
Equinox 800
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Bors

Post by Bors »

Pete E wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:32 am
JBM wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:26 am
Are you talking about their "old" pin pointer or have they released a new one to go with the Simplex?

If you are talking about their "old" model, I have been using it for nearly 12 months and have used it *alot* in that period..

I have found it decent enough, very reliable and seems waterproof with no falsing. The down side is that I find its range is a bit limited especially on very small targets especially on things like foil.

On pre decimal coins ect, works fine, but did struggle a bit on a hammered penny...

That said, I will continue to use it, but when it comes time to change, I will probably try something else..I would really like something that worked wireless to do away with the "pin hole" speaker as I think that's a point of weakness on so many designs/makes of pinpointer..
That would be Ideal but I think if the new wireless Garrett Z -lynk ones anything to go by, it still retains the very small "slits" in the pinpointers body that would still come into play IF the wireless side of it conked out. I think they make it like that as a sort of secondary "back up" measure. Not 100% sure like as I`ve not tried one .
But overall there's nothing, a bit of sellotape won`t harm for a precautionary measure on the day ,then just remove it when the detecting stints finished on your present one .
I used sellotape over the speaker slits and the on/off rocker switch on a Whites Bullseye 2,for a few years,and it worked perfectly. It's all about improvisation. :D
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

Bors wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 am
[ That would be Ideal but I think if the new wireless Garrett Z -lynk ones anything to go by, it still retains the very small "slits" in the pinpointers body that would still come into play IF the wireless side of it conked out. I think they make it like that as a sort of secondary "back up" measure. Not 100% sure like as I`ve not tried one .
But overall there's nothing, a bit of sellotape won`t harm for a precautionary measure on the day ,then just remove it when the detecting stints finished on your present one .
I used sellotape over the speaker slits and the on/off rocker switch on a Whites Bullseye 2,for a few years,and it worked perfectly. It's all about improvisation. :D
If a pinpointer had a wireless function, I'd be happy to cover any speaker port as you suggest, however, it wouldn't take much for the company to design the port with a removeable screw on cover..

The other thing I would like is a visual indication of the power level in use ie a 4 low power LED's to correspond to the power level selected..That to me would be more useful than the LED torch so many pinpointers incorporate these days..
Equinox 800
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

JBM

Post by JBM »

Iam using the current Nokta Pinpointer kit.

If I run the Sifter frequencies numbers 1 or 3 its absolutely fine.

My only problem to date is the On/off Sifter control box button is lazy.

It will come on after a 2 or 3 goes at various pressures.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

There are some very good videos for new users on YouTube.

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.

Junior

Post by Junior »

Copperballs1 wrote:

Cheers,

Mine likes coke but is still only 4th trip out....likes a bit of iron tooo but still early days ::g

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

I have the grey and orange Nokta pinpointer , dont know if theres a more recent one as i bought second hand but unused , pleased with it . If my Simplex is on Frequency 2 it goes berserk when the pointer is switched on , it needs to be on F1 or F3 , with F1 seeming the better .

JBM

Post by JBM »

Metallica wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:40 pm
I have the grey and orange Nokta pinpointer , dont know if theres a more recent one as i bought second hand but unused , pleased with it . If my Simplex is on Frequency 2 it goes berserk when the pointer is switched on , it needs to be on F1 or F3 , with F1 seeming the better .

Thats just what I have been doing,but it only takes a minute as does Ground balancing etc.

Iam finding the detector a little heavy compared to my favorite XP Deus.

I have started using my Bungy "Swingy Thingy" left over from the Minelab days. ;)

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

JBM wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:45 pm
Iam using the current Nokta Pinpointer kit.

If I run the Sifter frequencies numbers 1 or 3 its absolutely fine.

My only problem to date is the On/off Sifter control box button is lazy.

It will come on after a 2 or 3 goes at various pressures.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

There are some very good videos for new users on YouTube.

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

I have just bought and used twice the Nokta pointer. I don't have the issue with turning on and off, mine works fine.
But I can tell you I used a borrowed Garret Pro pointer before and I think that one is better, because it is more sensitive, and I think that the bleeping is more accurate in terms of increasing frequency until it becomes a continuous tone as it reaches the target, if I could make myself understood.

But I think learning to use it (the Nokta pointer), it is also good enough.

But regarding the frequency Sifter, you mean the Simplex frequency, right?

Cheers,

Christian.

JBM

Post by JBM »

Hi Christian.Yes you are correct.I had a senior moment. LOL. ::g Jerry.

Return to “Simplex Forum”