Page 1 of 1

Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:37 pm
by Junior
Heard a rumour about a carbon shaft for the simplex .. carnt find nowt... anyone out there have more details ::g

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:11 pm
by Bors
I don`t think their worth changing on the light detectors. You only gain an a few ounces and Its really hardly noticeable if at all in the weight loss to warrant spending nearly a £100 unless of course money is no object to you. I bought one for my Equinox and I suppose I got caught up in the "pimp your Nox" furore at the time .
I did regret buying one AFTER but afters too late when you`ve handed your cash over . Choices are yours ,but I won`t be buying a second as for what you actually gain by swapping for one is not worth it, apart from maybe the snob value it may give you :D .

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:35 pm
by Junior
Mate reckons he'll get one but yep.... I won't bother :D

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:43 pm
by dondo
unless they're making extra long ones for really tall people i can't see the point.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:43 pm
by Bors
Junior wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:35 pm
Mate reckons he'll get one but yep.... I won't bother :D
If indeed he does get one ,it might be worth you feeling the weight of both of them . Hold one at a time & see if you feel there`s a noticeable difference to warrant spending on the cost of a Carbon Fibre shaft . The one I bought for the Nox was the retractable one I did find the retractability part had its uses for storage ,and when it was in the car it was nice to be able to compact it down to around 20" , but then when you add up the price you pay for that you begin to doubt had you done the right thing for that small luxury it offers(well I did anyway). Its All down for individuals to weigh up the cost vs the Pro`s n Cons , and then decide which way you go.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:21 pm
by Moruglah
Custom one off

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:14 pm
by Moruglah
My friend who made them is in motorsport and is super busy.
Simply a custom one off.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:43 am
by defender4499
Bors wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:11 pm
I don`t think their worth changing on the light detectors. You only gain an a few ounces and Its really hardly noticeable if at all in the weight loss to warrant spending nearly a £100 unless of course money is no object to you. I bought one for my Equinox and I suppose I got caught up in the "pimp your Nox" furore at the time .
I did regret buying one AFTER but afters too late when you`ve handed your cash over . Choices are yours ,but I won`t be buying a second as for what you actually gain by swapping for one is not worth it, apart from maybe the snob value it may give you :D .
I bought one for my Nox but only because the standard one was too short (I am 6`5") and as I have a broken collarbone anything even slightly lighter was a good job.
Another benefit is being able to pack it up and put in a back pack. I agree they are not cheap but so far for me worth it.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:03 am
by Merneo
Hi,

When commercial ones become available - I will prob get one for two reasons

Improvement to rigidity of the lower shaft- ( if you seen any of my other post you know I think it can be improved )

But also as the other person said - height - It is unlikely that an aftermarket shaft will not have addressed - Taller people

For a manufacturer not to have seen the comments and threads that raise this as an issue - and then making the exact same shaft size and segments - is commercial suicide after the first couple of reviews people would just not buy them - I am sure the aftermarket is more intelligent than that

Paul

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:13 am
by Moruglah
Merneo wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:03 am
Hi,

When commercial ones become available - I will prob get one for two reasons

Improvement to rigidity of the lower shaft- ( if you seen any of my other post you know I think it can be improved )

But also as the other person said - height - It is unlikely that an aftermarket shaft will not have addressed - Taller people

For a manufacturer not to have seen the comments and threads that raise this as an issue - and then making the exact same shaft size and segments - is commercial suicide after the first couple of reviews people would just not buy them - I am sure the aftermarket is more intelligent than that

Paul
As I am in touch with nokta. Longer stems are being made.
Also I never see you asking about the stem I had made.
Anyway let’s move on and good luck and happy hunting.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 am
by Moruglah
defender4499 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:43 am
Bors wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:11 pm
I don`t think their worth changing on the light detectors. You only gain an a few ounces and Its really hardly noticeable if at all in the weight loss to warrant spending nearly a £100 unless of course money is no object to you. I bought one for my Equinox and I suppose I got caught up in the "pimp your Nox" furore at the time .
I did regret buying one AFTER but afters too late when you`ve handed your cash over . Choices are yours ,but I won`t be buying a second as for what you actually gain by swapping for one is not worth it, apart from maybe the snob value it may give you :D .
I bought one for my Nox but only because the standard one was too short (I am 6`5") and as I have a broken collarbone anything even slightly lighter was a good job.
Another benefit is being able to pack it up and put in a back pack. I agree they are not cheap but so far for me worth it.
My simplex is ultra light now. I suffer with neck pain due to a car accident a few years ago.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:22 am
by Merneo
Hi,

A good reason to get one (injury)

As I say aftermarket often learn - we can only hope that do well

Paul

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:29 am
by Moruglah
Merneo wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:22 am
Hi,

A good reason to get one (injury)

As I say aftermarket often learn - we can only hope that do well

Paul
I had the etrac for years but wasn’t able to swing it after the crash.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:32 am
by Merneo
Hi, Well I am glad you have a solution that helps you

some times in life we all need a bit of help or luck

Glad its keeping you detecting

Paul

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:34 am
by defender4499
Moruglah wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 am
defender4499 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:43 am
Bors wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:11 pm
I don`t think their worth changing on the light detectors. You only gain an a few ounces and Its really hardly noticeable if at all in the weight loss to warrant spending nearly a £100 unless of course money is no object to you. I bought one for my Equinox and I suppose I got caught up in the "pimp your Nox" furore at the time .
I did regret buying one AFTER but afters too late when you`ve handed your cash over . Choices are yours ,but I won`t be buying a second as for what you actually gain by swapping for one is not worth it, apart from maybe the snob value it may give you :D .
I bought one for my Nox but only because the standard one was too short (I am 6`5") and as I have a broken collarbone anything even slightly lighter was a good job.
Another benefit is being able to pack it up and put in a back pack. I agree they are not cheap but so far for me worth it.
My simplex is ultra light now. I suffer with neck pain due to a car accident a few years ago.
I also use a Pro-swing 45 harness.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:45 am
by Merneo
Hi,

Well my experiment adding a wooden rod down the shaft(to stiffen) added 2 oz 50 gms but boy did I know it (sore arm at end of day)

took it out at the w/e and was better if not as stiff to swing

Paul

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:00 am
by defender4499
Merneo wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:45 am
Hi,

Well my experiment adding a wooden rod down the shaft(to stiffen) added 2 oz 50 gms but boy did I know it (sore arm at end of day)

took it out at the w/e and was better if not as stiff to swing

Paul
Try setting up some sort of harness so it takes the weight. All you need is some bungee.
I used to use a backpack and cable tied a bungee to the right side shoulder strap. I had a velcro strap with a ring on my detector and a clip on the bungee that I could attach to the ring.
Sorry it sounds more complicated than it is.
I was out for 6 hours last Saturday with my pro-swing harness, if I didn`t use it I would only be out for an hour.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:42 pm
by Merneo
Hi

Don't think I need a harness

Just going wait till Nokta or after market shaft improvments

It's not that bad just wish it was a bit better than it is

And for someone under 5ft 6 inch they would prob not even get what has been talked about

As its all about degrees and fine details that's all

But thanks for offering the help

Paul

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:38 pm
by Gary_Graham
I'm busy making a 10mm carbon rod lover shaft for the Garret, basically, for water work, I think that the smaller diameter shaft will give less resistance in the water.

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:24 pm
by Junior
Merneo wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:45 am
Hi,

Well my experiment adding a wooden rod down the shaft(to stiffen) added 2 oz 50 gms but boy did I know it (sore arm at end of day)

took it out at the w/e and was better if not as stiff to swing

Paul
I did the same....bit of quadrant from diy store...happy days .... a French stick lower will fit it but is shorter B| B| ... tried me french stick extended upper hoping that would work but different profile rl;

Re: Simplex carbon shaft

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:19 pm
by Dean99
Similar issue with the Simpex... at 6' 2" tall, I found swinging the simplex shaft similar to a garden hose. :-( I added a 23" (1/2 OD) carbon rod into the lower section. I ran it along a belt sander to (slightly) flatten one side to match the D shaped Nokta shaft, then slide it in. It should be snug but not too tight, to prevent expanding the existing shaft. Make sure it can still slide easily into the middle section. This little DIY improved the performance substantially. I'd say 70% better then the whip it was. Initially, I combined two old carbon shafts from golf clubs, that worked also.
I got tired of waiting for a Nokta fix of this obvious problem.
Hope this helps the vertically challenged... B-)
Dean