Detecting on a high aluminium trash area - nightmare!

Discussion of the Nokta Makro Simplex metal detector here only.
TinDigger

Detecting on a high aluminium trash area - nightmare!

Post by TinDigger »

Hey all,

Got permission from a friendly headmaster of a nearby 1800's private school to detect on his playing field with my Simplex+ in field / park mode.

It was very hard work! An extremely trashy area of the worst kind - aluminium! Aluminium foil, full cans, bits of cans, ring pulls. All coming up with just about every ID possible. I kept a log below:

18,19: Small piece of alu foil
24: Alu foil, medium size
27 - 29: Alu foil
29: 10p on surface (1992)
28-31: Alu can (approx 4 cm)
32,33: Alu can
42,43: Alu can, large piece
46-48: Alu can, large
49: Alu can, small thick
55: Alu can section
60-62: Alu can, large
63-65: Steel white bottle cap
67,68: £1 coin (1996)
70: Steel zip
74,75: Alu can, full can crushed
79,80: Alu diet coke can (full)
83-85: Steel bottle cap, Carslberg
88,89: Old copper? hinge, thick, almost 20" deep!
90: 1p (2017)
90,91: Red & white bottle cap

I couldn't really hear much of a discernible tone difference between the various aluminium but then again I didn't have my headphones with me.

Does anybody else have a lot of trouble with aluminium? It just seems to flood the whole ID range from 18 to 80.
2020_01_10 finds.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TinDigger on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Blackadder43
Admin

Re: Detecting on a high aluminium trash area - nightmare!

Post by Blackadder43 »

Sadly not much can be done
You have the added problem on a school field of the lawnmower shredding any cans that are left in the grass
Well done for going at it, but its going to be a slow project

Sometimes the size of the target might indicate a can, but i think its going to be a patience game with that field
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

Yeh, too many youths just chucking their trash down instead of binning it. I could have dug a hundred holes in the space of 10sqm on some parts! Trouble is, some of the coins were in the middle ID's of all the trash.

There probably is some 19th century coinage in there somewhere but discriminating it out seems nigh on impossible. Time to find a different field I think.

Allectus

Post by Allectus »

Go elsewhere. Those sort of sites are a total waste of time! ;;z

A ;)

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA »

Yesterday afternoon I joined my son on his first visit to his new first permission. The soil was great to dig, very sandy and soft. The bad news was that the fields were all littered with green waste, lots of Aluminium blobs, bits of this and that. Just a nightmare.

We managed to winlke out three coins between the two of us. There will be stuff to be found, but all that trash gave good signals that couldn't be ignored.
www.youtube.com/c/terraenglandia
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

Allectus wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:42 am
Go elsewhere. Those sort of sites are a total waste of time! ;;z

A ;)
That's the conclusion I came to. Some sites are simply impossible to detect, no matter how hard you try. Lots of can-shred is my bete'noir on some sites too ;;z Call it a day and move on.
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod »

at some point you will get through the trash ,and might find the diamond,i use 300i with nel coil,so dig huge amounts of trash but some good items give same sound and numbers so you have to dig them all sadly,just cleaning last weeks and have a whole bag of trash ,but if every whole was great id probably be bored

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM »

Hi tindigger,
Perhaps a change of name lol, might bring you some more luck eh - only joking.
Depending on what depths the aluminium was coming up from and if its an easy site for you to get to ( minimum effort travelling to etc etc); what I'd do is go back to the site with some plastic pegs and some string and grid out a small likley area.
Then go over it slowly and carefully removing as much green waste as you can, then go over it again and again until you start to find your good targets.
Mind you I do like a challenge!
On the other hand if you have other permissions - go there!
A bit of research on the parks original layout if you can find out may be helpful in where you start gridding.
Nil desporandum and all that.
Good luck 🤞
Len
Oh and ps, a headmaster always likes a student who tries hard 👨‍🎓.
Last edited by Bootneck45RM on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Koala

Post by Koala »

if they are well spaced like a meter average between targets you be surprised how quickly you can clean an area of the larger targets.

If there are several beeps every swing its gonging to be hard going

I have a small field that's full alloy pie cases , pop cans and cigarette packet foil. After about 70 hours its now just like any other field.

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave »

1800`s Private School.
Pupils were probably from well off families and may well have had Silver coinage rather than Pennies, Halfpennies. Just need to clear all the modern from on top.
20" on the hinge is very impressive.
Good Luck, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

andyc823

Post by andyc823 »

This might be a silly idea. but I'll throw it out there anyway. I have the Simplex+ too and it lets you discriminate aut as much as you like. So how about discriminating absolutely everything, then un-discriminating a known target you'd like to go for (a pre-decimal penny for example) and see what you can find that way. You might still dig some of the trash, but at least you won't dig all of it.

Hauptmann aD

Post by Hauptmann aD »

My last visited trash site brought around 30 aluminium pieces in a small area, but also two fibulas.
fib (2).jpg
fib (1).jpg
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

andyc823 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:46 pm
This might be a silly idea. but I'll throw it out there anyway. I have the Simplex+ too and it lets you discriminate aut as much as you like. So how about discriminating absolutely everything, then un-discriminating a known target you'd like to go for (a pre-decimal penny for example) and see what you can find that way. You might still dig some of the trash, but at least you won't dig all of it.
I know what you mean but you have to discriminate blocks of 5 ID out on the Simplex+ so I'm not sure there would be anything left! I guess a lot depends on how much the ID changes depending on depth / orientation / size of target. Seems to be quite a bit from my limited experience (even after thorough ground balancing).

One thing I don't have is any silver to test the ID on. Does anybody know where silver typically ID's on the simplex?

monojfk

Post by monojfk »

I have the racer 2 and i have these same problems on both beaches and fields, ali cans and ring pools give off a lovely crisp dig me tone, its disheartening at times :-L , they cant be ignored but, bigger ali targets tend to come in around 75 for me but depends on size. whoever invents a machine that doesn't detect ali cans will be a millionaire lol .

monojfk

Post by monojfk »

I have the racer 2 and i have these same problems on both beaches and fields, ali cans and ring pools give off a lovely crisp dig me tone, its disheartening at times :-L , they cant be ignored but, bigger ali targets tend to come in around 75 for me but depends on size. whoever invents a machine that doesn't detect ali cans will be a millionaire lol .

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

monojfk wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:15 pm
whoever invents a machine that doesn't detect ali cans will be a millionaire lol .

You are not wrong there! What I have found is that it's the size / thickness of the aluminium that seems to change the ID so much, really can be anywhere from 18-80. I've never had alu come up above 80 though.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Your detector isn't lying to you. It sees Aluminium as a good target, and so it should as Aluminium is a non-ferrous metal, therefore, it recognises it as being legitimate and gives you a nice high pitch sound with mid to High target values. Your just going to have to swallow the bitter pill of metallurgic reality in detecting . Pretty much the same with Lead. we get some stick off "bits" of blobs and pieces of irritating lead , but its a case of having to dig them .
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact »

Kids. Coke cans, and a triple gang grass cutter https://www.gardenmachinerystore.com/Ga ... gKQSfD_BwE... what do you have? The perfect storm, and sadly you are right on the front line!!! Hey ho, as we say in Banking... the only advice I can give is that every 50th signal you're sure to pick up lost pocket money and/or another ring pull!
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Return to “Simplex Forum”