Out with the Simplex

Discussion of the Nokta Makro Simplex metal detector here only.
Metallica

Out with the Simplex

Post by Metallica »

Hows it going all
First time out properly today on the beach for a few hours with the Simplex and it performed well , lots of signals all trash , but good fun just making a start on getting to grips with the machine and the next step from playing in the garden . Down side was after an hour it felt like i was swinging a brick , my fore arm in some discomfort , dont think it was technique as kept my elbow tucked in .
Its a life time in the building trade and in recent years an auto immune thing i have been dealt that can leave me with muscle fatigue more easily . I dont know the ins and outs of detector weights etc and how different machines might feel differently balanced etc as im only just starting out . Im a big bloke and have always been physically strong , so even with my health issue i was surprised i struggled with such a seemingly gentle activity ! So if im to continue and enjoy this i will need to look into rigging up some sort of sling to take some weight off , something i hadnt even considered .
But very pleased with the machine and the wireless headphones , set up correctly it seems to perform well on the wet sand to .

Pete01

Re: Out with the Simplex

Post by Pete01 »

I would be inclined to think that the issues you had with forearm discomfort would more likely be due to detecting being a new activity that your body isn't used to yet rather than it being an issue with the weight of the detector!. It's quite a light machine and not that much heavier than the really light machines on the market- I think it's around a 300gram difference and thats it!, and it's not too long ago that the Simplex would have been itself considered super light weight!- so taking in to account your history of working in the building trade even though you have experienced some health issues since I think that the 1.3kg weight of the detector wouldn't be the issue. Women swing the same metal detectors as men do but the manufacturers don't make women specific metal detectors for their weak little arms! lol!. As you said the discomfort was in your forearm rather than your elbow or wrist then I take it that it was a muscular issue rather than a joint issue?- in which case it's very likely that it's an endurance issue and the fact that you're just not used to that repetitive type of movement for that long yet!. If you were experiencing joint discomfort then that could possibly indicate a more complex issue but that could also just be down to it being a new activity as well!.

As you said the discomfort occured after about an hour of detecting I would suggest that the next time you go out take a break at about 45 minutes before the onset of discomfort and then go for another 45 minutes and repeat the break- do this throughout the session and see how you feel when you get back home and the next day. If there is an improvement then the next time you go out try to swing for a little longer- maybe an hour or so and then see how that feels and increase the length of time that you swing for each time you go detecting. After a while your body should get used to it and hopefully you won't experience any more problems. It could be the exact same issue that anyone has who starts going to the gym for the first time!- you're going to be sore for the first few sessions!. Hopefully that's all it is so don't worry about it too much for now and just see how it goes.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your first session though and that the detector performed well!- hopefully you're arm will feel better after you've got accustomed to the new activity and you'll be able to enjoy many more trips out cleaning up the beaches and hopefully find some good stuff in the process!. ::g

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

What a great and informative response , thanks for taking the time Pete01 .
I was aware the Simplex isn't a heavy detector by any means from what I read and that's why It took me by surprise , in fact when it arrived I couldn't believe how light the box was and had to check it was all in there !
I think you're right it's a new activity and will take some getting used to , will take your advice on board and stick with it . I have a strimmer sling strap I can utilise if needs be to help , but have a feeling it will just get in the way and over complicate the whole set up which I would rather not do .
I did see one of the more candid reviews mentioned it's a bit nose heavy and he was going to add some counter weight at the top of the stem , but could have been utter rubbish of course !
I'm happy with the Simplex and will keep enjoying getting used to it . ::g

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Hi Metallica,

I think it is exactly as Pete said: you are using muscles now that you wouldn't otherwise, or would use, but not for a whole hour! It is a repetitive movement of a rather "weak" muscle. In fact it is not even a repetitive movement, but a sustained contraction (isometric), which strains the muscle in a different way.

You'll get used to it it once you do it frequently.

Cheers!

Christian.

dondo

Post by dondo »

As Pete said, You'll get used to it, if i have a break it takes me a few sessions to get back into it and i have very large arms :D

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

Cheers guys , it's a funny one considering I can swing a lump hammer for hrs etc no problem ! It's almost a bit embarrassing to admit to lol , but it's as you say , holding my arm in that particular position for hrs is a new thing to me .

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Seems counter intuitive, but when I picked up a simplex at my last club dig I found that it felt a bit front heavy to me, so you might find it a little more comfortable if you add a little bit of weight to the elbow end of it, that might balance it better, it didn't feel massively front heavy though, so that might not be the answer for you, but worth trying if it's still uncomfortable once you're a bit more used to it.

pakeha

Post by pakeha »

I did briefly swing a friends Simplex.I did find it front heavy as someone mentioned.I would suggest not to have the stem extended too long,shorten it to such a length that you can swing comfortably,otherwise you will be swinging a heavier weight. I hope you can figure out what I am trying to convey.

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

That's great thanks guys very informative . It's my first machine and I have not handled any others so have nothing to compare it to . Sounds like maybe it is a touch front heavy from what you're saying , but I will work with what I have got and try and build up gradually getting used to it . The price point and spec you get it was the best buy for me starting out and it seemed unwise splashing out on something like a deus until I'm sure the hobby is for me . I do think it's a lot to do with as others have said ..me just not being used to swinging a detector .

Bors

Post by Bors »

:)) Well sometimes if your over the age of 30 ,I think we just have to accept that were not getting any younger and ANY weakness in your body will be ruthlessly sought out by swinging a metal detector, be it arms, shoulders, hands, Legs ,feet you name it, detecting will find it .
Many of us even older guys suffer regardless of how fit we once was. It's NOW the piper has to be paid for years of misuse and abuse we once gave our body.
The next step to be faced up to is ... Compromise with it ,or ditch it . Its coarsely that simple. :D ::g
I remember when I first had my Hip replaced. Without a word of a lie, The third week after coming out of hospital ,I was on a field detecting using my spade as the support instead of a walking stick.
So the body does have its ways of adapting quickly.(if prompted)And since then I`ve had a shoulder joint replaced and still detecting, so achy arms are one of the lesser problems to get ,and at 51 your still a spritely spring chicken, so as the "Duke" once said, "get off ya Horse and drink ya Milk ". :D
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

Bors wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 pm
:)) Well sometimes if your over the age of 30 ,I think we just have to accept that were not getting any younger and ANY weakness in your body will be ruthlessly sought out by swinging a metal detector, be it arms, shoulders, hands, Legs ,feet you name it, detecting will find it .
Many of us even older guys suffer regardless of how fit we once was. It's NOW the piper has to be paid for years of misuse and abuse we once gave our body.
The next step to be faced up to is ... Compromise with it ,or ditch it . Its coarsely that simple. :D ::g
I remember when I first had my Hip replaced. Without a word of a lie, The third week after coming out of hospital ,I was on a field detecting using my spade as the support instead of a walking stick.
So the body does have its ways of adapting quickly.(if prompted)And since then I`ve had a shoulder joint replaced and still detecting, so achy arms are one of the lesser problems to get ,and at 51 your still a spritely spring chicken, so as the "Duke" once said, "get off ya Horse and drink ya Milk ". :D
Yeah thats the way it is Bors in a nut shell . Been to hell and back with my health in recent years and my life along with my family was put through the mill..without going into it im fortunate to still be here . So if the detecting doesnt work out its not the be all and end all to be honest , but i wont be throwing in the towel easily ::g

Bors

Post by Bors »

Quote Metallica ,... " but i wont be throwing in the towel easily. "

Please don`t , I`m positive if you just get a few outings under your belt you`ll get more & more accustomed to detecting, after all it is not like say fishing ,where you mostly sit on your bum for hours and stare at a float. It can be physical but at least it's giving you good exercise and fresh air and hopefully excitement of what you will find. ::g So hang tough!

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

Bors wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:15 pm
Quote Metallica ,... " but i wont be throwing in the towel easily. "

Please don`t , I`m positive if you just get a few outings under your belt you`ll get more & more accustomed to detecting, after all it is not like say fishing ,where you mostly sit on your bum for hours and stare at a float. It can be physical but at least it's giving you good exercise and fresh air and hopefully excitement of what you will find. ::g So hang tough!
Cheers Bors will do ::g
The anticipation of some day finding digging up some history thats been buried for ? years is what has drawn me in and will keep me going .
I smile at peoples pre conceived ideas about fishing , i wont bore you with how my type of fishing is far removed from that ,

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Hi,

On my first day out was about 5-6 hrs I expected to be a bit sore - which I was

I was not expecting the other side body muscle discovery and soreness - In a very large muscle group - lol

Next time out luckily next week and was less sore

time after a few weeks later and was a bit sore again

Little and often is the way I think too much gap and the body forgets - just like anything

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+
Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2

John Willetts - Made - Hand Digger
Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Bors wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 pm
Hi Bors,

with all that metal in your body, you must get a lot of interference from your detector!

:))

Christian.

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Hofling wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi Bors,

with all that metal in your body, you must get a lot of interference from your detector!

:))

Christian.
I have picked up the metalwork in my feet once or twice, gives a lovely signal. :)

Bors

Post by Bors »

=)) (The quick answer is) No, lt doesn`t strangely enough .

(The more explainable answer is) When I Go I through the airport X ray scanner I don`t set those off either.
But I did find out that Titanium "may obscure specific areas of an image ", but it is not affected by even strong magnetic fields. Of course not all metallic elements are attracted to magnets, and most orthopaedic implants are made of nonmagnetic alloys. The four strongly magnetic elements are iron, nickel, cobalt and gadolinium. This why Titanium is the prefered metal in orthopaedic joints.

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Mine set it off, but mine aren't joints, it's just pins and screws, can't stick a magnet to my feet but I can pick them up with my detector, lol.

Guessing it's down to size and required properties, a hip replacement is a big old chunk of metal that needs to be light and very wear resistant, the bits they used in my feet were to hold smashed bones together (my heels) so these didn't need to have the same properties and also needed to be bent to shape when it was fitted, wouldn't fancy trying to bend titanium.

Couldn't tell you what mine are made of but I certainly set it off, my guess is high quality stainless.

Curiously I can't pick up the metal in my pelvis, less in there and not as close to the skin, but maybe that's a different metal, I think that's just a flat plate if I recall from my x-Rays.

Anyway, I'll stop dragging us off topic now, sorry mods.

tyneoharrow

Post by tyneoharrow »

Look in tips and DIY forum under RSI topic Posted by tynoharrow might be of help.

JBM

Post by JBM »

pakeha wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:33 pm
I did find it front heavy as someone mentioned.I would suggest not to have the stem extended too long,shorten it to such a length that you can swing comfortably,otherwise you will be swinging a heavier weight. I hope you can figure out what I am trying to convey.
Iam in my third week of being grounded from going outside with a chesty infection.

This gives me a chance to follow the site various threads and comments.

I found an old "Swingy Thingy" from my Minelab days and in a few minutes adapted its to use with the Simplex.

This will solve this Simplex problem.

Mind you Iam heading up to 86. ;)

Well thats my excuse.LOL. :)

Jerry.

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

Metallica wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:54 pm
The anticipation of some day finding digging up some history thats been buried for ? years is what has drawn me in and will keep me going .
Once you make your first good find you will be hooked!

With regards the aches and pains, you have had some great advice so far...

I would add that you can also buy (or make) a harness to help take the weight..these are similar to the ones used for petrol weed strimmers...

If you have a look on YouTube, I am sure you will find them being demo'd.....
Equinox 800
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

Pete E wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:45 pm
Metallica wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:54 pm
Once you make your first good find you will be hooked!

With regards the aches and pains, you have had some great advice so far...

I would add that you can also buy (or make) a harness to help take the weight..these are similar to the ones used for petrol weed strimmers...

If you have a look on YouTube, I am sure you will find them being demo'd.....
Cheers , I rigged up a strimmer strap with a short section of bungee strap onto the detector , the bungee part was crucial as it now feels like the machine is floating . Works really well and the machine just hangs off me when I'm on wet sand digging retrieving a target , rather than having to put it down .

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

Well done Metallica. Sounds a bit like mine. Man Friday arrangement but it works. Mine hangs off my belt and, like yours, gives a little support to the detector and avoids the need to ‘put it down’ every time you want to dig. No messy arm cups.

And Well done Jerry, still showing us the way ::g

The rest of you , well you’re just ‘sprogs’ wait till you’re 75 :D

targets

Post by targets »

after a featherlite deus i found the simplex too heavy on my wrist for long periods so sent it back for refund.. i found the handle had an awkward angle
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

[/quote]

Cheers , I rigged up a strimmer strap with a short section of bungee strap onto the detector , the bungee part was crucial as it now feels like the machine is floating . Works really well and the machine just hangs off me when I'm on wet sand digging retrieving a target , rather than having to put it down .
[/quote]

Can you send a picture of how you did it?

Thanks!

Christian

Dave Lowe

Post by Dave Lowe »

On the weight issue, the Simplex has a straight shaft that, when holding it, is below the hand grip where as detectors with the "S" shaft its above the handgrip, I think this might be the problem, all the detectors I have owned have the "S" type shaft and my present detector is the same weight as the Simplex, I have arthritis and have had problems with elbow joints but my machine is OK to use.

maylandmanta

Post by maylandmanta »

Hofling wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:29 pm
[/quote]

Thanks!

Christian
[/quote]

Sounds very similar to what I'm using . I have an old computer case shoulder strap which is attached to my belt loop on my trousers with a short piece of bungee elastic on the other end connected to the detector. I'm left handed so it connects to my right side belt loop , passes around my neck and down the left to the detector. I worked out the balance point of the detector and attached the bungee there so as previously said it 's virtually weightless and bobs about quite happily all on it's own when let go.

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

Hofling wrote:
[/quote]

Thanks!

Christian
[/quote]

Here you go Christian ...
Cost about £7 for the universal strimmer strap which comes with the clip .
The bungee part I used a headband from an old head torch . The whole thing goes over my head and onto my left shoulder , like you would carry a shoulder bag , with the detector hanging off the bungee on the right side of my body . Hope that makes sense , would be better shown being worn but I'm home alone at the moment .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bors

Post by Bors »

I read some of these posts and my jaw drops with astonishment. Take the ....... " The Simplex too heavy "!
WHAT !!! Are you kidding me? x; 2.8 Ibs too heavy to carry? As I`m sure your aware some of the detectors we had to carry 40 yrs ago such as the CScope Metadec or the Whites 6000 weighing in at often at hefty 5 lbs or more, gawd knows how we managed carrying those then but we did.
Today your carrying featherweights compared to past vintage detectors and your saying 2.8lbs is too heavy? Surely not !
If your finding these lightweights too heavy then the smart thing to do is get a bungee such as the " Easy Swing" from the MDF shop on the forum. These really help in making a big difference in reducing the weight, plus you don` have to put your detector down when retrieving a target when digging which is very welcome if there's mud all about you.

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Metallica wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:21 pm
Hofling wrote:

Thanks!

Christian
[/quote]

Here you go Christian ...
Cost about £7 for the universal strimmer strap which comes with the clip .
The bungee part I used a headband from an old head torch . The whole thing goes over my head and onto my left shoulder , like you would carry a shoulder bag , with the detector hanging off the bungee on the right side of my body . Hope that makes sense , would be better shown being worn but I'm home alone at the moment .
[/quote]

Thank you Metallica!

I think that would be really helpful, mostly because would not have to pt down the detector when digging.

Have a nice Sunday!

Christian

Return to “Simplex Forum”