Say Hi if you have a Simplex

Discussion of the Nokta Makro Simplex metal detector here only.
Merneo

Re: Say Hi if you have a Simplex +

Post by Merneo »

Hi, I will measure the two shafts tomorrow and post lengths

may be you could do the same with the amfibio

I am not throwing baby out with the bath water - just concerned

but have had the mid shaft drop out in use because I was trying get too much length

If I was looking at this from Nokta development point of view

If I recall the shafts are the longest part in the box. So if the shaft is longer then the box has to be bigger - thats more cost and cost on a low cost machine matter

they may and I only say may at this point have shaved a bit too much of the length to keep cost down

will also measure top shaft for full comparison

Paul

Nokta Macro Simplex+
Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2

John Willetts - Made - Hand Digger
Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

Im all for being frank Bors , and your post is actually reassuring to me . As you say i have nothing to compare it to and no experience , but in fairness i thought i had conveyed that myself if you were to look back through . If someone straight talking like yourself had come on and said dont be silly its quite normal to expect some shaft flex i would have felt reassured , if thats what you are saying then fair enough and thankyou ...and it was worth posting the question . What i will refute is the suggestion that im picking fault for the sake of it , thats not me at all . It was a genuine observation and concern from a complete newbie regarding my first machine , regardless of experience there is quite a flex in my lower shaft and i guess i just wanted to know if i should be concerned . Perhaps would have been better to just contact the supplier than post on here about it in hind sight ..

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy »

I have been considering the Simplex as well as the ORX , two machines vastly different in price but will they both be as good as each other performance wise . I have watched and read reviews on both and I am still undecided . I think we can all get caught up in the hype and with so many new products coming onto the market it can be quite daunting to make the correct choice .
Understandably anyone coming into the hobby wants to make the right choice of machine but without having any experience out on the field nobody can be 100% sure they have chosen the right one for them , all that can be done is to watch and read reviews .
The other choice is to actually go to a main dealer and try out a few that are within your budget and seek some advice from those behind the counter . This is exactly what I will be doing when I am ready to make another purchase and it will be both the Simplex and ORX that I will be looking at to try and get some sort of decision made .
The slight wobble in the stem on the simplex is a slight concern but I will be checking this out for myself just in case it is an issue for me , I am 6 ft tall so once it is set at a comfortable length then I will know either way .However , for the price and for what you get as an entry level machine boasting of its performance as a high end bit of kit sounds like a fair deal and as Bors rightly says , you need to get out and gain some experience with it and if it still remains an issue then perhaps move it on and look into something more suitable .
I am not having a pop at anyone , been there myself when I first purchased my detector . I did read up on it and eventually settled for an Ace 250 which in my mind and a lot of others is still a great machine . If I had an issue with it I would say the loud yellow colour , its ghastly but it wasn't about colour but more about how many great reviews it got and being a total novice it was ideal as a starter .
My next purchase was the Q40 and after reading some reviews and having a go with one before I took the plunge it remains as my main detector for now but my next purchase will actually handling both machines of my choice to make that final decision .The Simplex sounds like a great it of kit and for that money and what you get by comparison seems streets ahead of many other entry level detectors . It will be interesting to see what other new machines will be coming out that will be competing with the Simplex on price and spec .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Pete01

Post by Pete01 »

Merneo wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 pm
Hi, I will measure the two shafts tomorrow and post lengths

may be you could do the same with the amfibio

I am not throwing baby out with the bath water - just concerned

but have had the mid shaft drop out in use because I was trying get too much length

If I was looking at this from Nokta development point of view

If I recall the shafts are the longest part in the box. So if the shaft is longer then the box has to be bigger - thats more cost and cost on a low cost machine matter

they may and I only say may at this point have shaved a bit too much of the length to keep cost down

will also measure top shaft for full comparison

Paul
Merneo- regarding your shaft slipping out... I've had the same issue and yes it can be due to needing a little more length and pulling it out a little too far!.

If you look under your shaft you'll see an indented line a little way in from the top of it- if when withdrawing your shaft you keep an eye on it and don't pull it out any further once you see that line emerge you can avoid your shaft from slipping out like you described!. It's an interesting observation that Bors made that he believes his shaft to be similar to yours but doesn't have any issues with his!, and I think your idea of measuring shafts to compare lengths is a good idea to see what/ if any differences there are between them. It would be interesting, and could also prove useful if users of other machines were to also measure their shaft lengths, and provide some info regarding the stiffness when fully extended and post the results so we can establish some kind of average which might put some peoples minds at rest regarding this issue!.

LloydF

Post by LloydF »

Can say, honestly, there's some slight shaft wobble, mainly only when you try and wobble it (although even this doesn't really seem to cause any falsing), this can also be circumvented by adjusting how both parts of the shaft fit together, personally I just undid the top clamp and raised the control unit a few centimetres, it made it feel a lot more stable and I've had no issues since.

Occasionally if I get into swinging too fast I get a very slight blip at the end of each swing but I used to get the same on the Garrett 400i so I'm 99% sure it's user error
Garrett ACE 400i
Garrett Pro pointer AT
Simplex+

dondo

Post by dondo »

The simplex is a good detector, not groundbreaking well the price is, i have no problem with the stem, maybe if you're tall or like it out a long way in front of you it might cause you a problem, the stem locks are positive and hold them in place there is some gap between the stems but if you ever had a detector with close fitting stems that seize up and no matter the amount of pressure they won't come apart even with both feet on the coil and the full strength of your back behind it you appreciate a bit of a gap, maybe they'll bring out the extended stems like you can get for other detectors but for me it's fine.

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Dondo

How tall are you ?

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

dondo

Post by dondo »

Merneo wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:20 pm
Dondo

How tall are you ?

Paul
I'm short :D

Bors

Re: Say Hi if you have a Simplex + and Share yr Experience

Post by Bors »

Quote pete01,...." Bors made that he believes his shaft to be similar to yours but doesn't have any issues with his!, and I think your idea of measuring shafts to compare lengths is a good idea to see what/ if any differences there are between them.".

Quote merneo ,...." they may and I only say may at this point have shaved a bit too much of the length to keep cost down."

Utter codswallop . =))

So No problem.in measuring and showing. >>>

My Anfibio top shaft is 23" (58 cm)
My bottom shaft is 20" which is fractionally just below (51cm)
and I`m 5` 11" tall and these lengths don`t give me any trouble whatsoever to use.
Ideally when you extend your metal detector shaft you don`t need to have the shaft wayout in front of you. The shaft should be just infront of you with a bend in your arm and not your arm fully extended out straight , otherwise, you offset your balance .
My right arm is tucked into my side being swung on an axis from my elbow, and not swung with arms fully stretched out. If you do hunt with your arm stretched out fully ,you can find yourself off balance and get arm fatigue pretty quickly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Metallica wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:23 pm
Im all for being frank Bors , and your post is actually reassuring to me . As you say i have nothing to compare it to and no experience , but in fairness i thought i had conveyed that myself if you were to look back through . If someone straight talking like yourself had come on and said dont be silly its quite normal to expect some shaft flex i would have felt reassured , if thats what you are saying then fair enough and thankyou ...and it was worth posting the question . What i will refute is the suggestion that im picking fault for the sake of it , thats not me at all . It was a genuine observation and concern from a complete newbie regarding my first machine , regardless of experience there is quite a flex in my lower shaft and i guess i just wanted to know if i should be concerned . Perhaps would have been better to just contact the supplier than post on here about it in hind sight ..
Look guys, I have to say , this isn`t rocket science. Have you just stepped back a moment and give it any thought that maybe ! just maybe ,these people who have been detecting a good number of years just "might" know what they're talking about and you being novices at the hobby (without any disrespect to your position)would find it beneficial to take good advice on the chin but not feel bruised in any way.
Try having a think on it for a moment ! ::g
So please ,please don`t think I`m patronising you, as actually ,I and others are actually, simply trying to help you obtain the best methods and settings when help is given to folk new to detecting.
Most folk are here to help you and not bully or belittle you and any criticism of your method/s if at all is done , it is done to advise you not show you up.
Last edited by Bors on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

ratty

Post by ratty »

I'm 6ft and with the top shaft extended to the line marked on it (8cm) and lower shaft extended too the middle of #2 this gives a comfortable position for searching. To get any flex you have to be thrashing about as if scything.. ;)

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Sounds like a great machine for the money. A nice smooth, slow sweep of the coil should help with the shaft wobble. Saw one at a rally last week and was impressed at how well made it was ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

dondo

Post by dondo »

Utter codswallop . =))

[/quote]

Bit of trivia, 'Codswallop' refers to the Codd bottle, (the one with the glass marley in the neck) if beer was weak men would say it's 'Codswallop' as Codd bottles contained pop.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Well, that's the watered-down version. In the Urban Jungle I come from, it means " rubbish."

Sorry if my avuncular style of expression is found wanting, somewhat in this thread. :))

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Couple of you are like a dog with a bone :D
Doctor - you’ve got 5 minutes to live
Me - Listen to comfortably numb
Doctor - but that’s 9 minutes
God - it’s ok

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

20191229_144928.jpg

Simplex + shaft sizes

Top 31cm

Mid 55 cm

Bottom 60 cm

If want in inches you need convert etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

Bors

Post by Bors »

Well adding both of your measurements up and both of Mine up if I add on the piece which the control box is on with the arm cup on it on mine , I calculate the difference is a mere 2cm.
So in theory that shaft of yours should be adequate for your height because I`m only a couple of inches below your height.. x;
However On saying that I fully understand when if something does irritate you be it on a detector, a car, or anything else, chances are you`ll not ever be happy with it, so all I can suggest is you ask the dealer whom you bought it off, can they get you what is described as " a tall man stem" , in detecting jargon.

Pete01

Post by Pete01 »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:48 am
Sounds like a great machine for the money. A nice smooth, slow sweep of the coil should help with the shaft wobble. Saw one at a rally last week and was impressed at how well made it was ::g
Yep this raises a good point! ::g a lot of it comes down to proper technique!, and for those of you that don't live local to a metal detecting shop then attending a club or group event where many people are on the fields swinging with various machines would be a good place to go in order to compare equipment!. I'm sure that most people would let you have a go if you ask politely and you'll get a much better idea of how it feels in the hand etc than you will from just looking at some pictures and studying lengths!.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

Hello all, this topic is in danger of becoming a topic where all related Simplex topics can be posted within it, this is not healthy for the Makro / Nokta forum resource we have here.
If you have specific problems issues please remember to create your own separate topic, this will then help others to easily find and solve any issue they have with that specific titled topic ::g
Thanks all
mrix

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Bors

In Reality I think its the Botton stem material thats at issue

The side to side movement - is not in swinging its more pinpoint swinging

which is shorter - I showed it to a chap on a dig couple weeks a go and he noticed it with ease

I also was unaware of the mid shaft mark - but will ensure I use it

let you know if it changes the dynamics, when get a chance to dig again

When I had the lower stem out I put a bit of pressure on it a pound may be two no real way to measure

but it bent quite easily about 5 - 10 degrees - not scientific I know

Might see if I can work out a test but only might

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

dondo

Post by dondo »

Merneo wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:50 pm
Bors

In Reality I think its the Botton stem material thats at issue

The side to side movement - is not in swinging its more pinpoint swinging

which is shorter - I showed it to a chap on a dig couple weeks a go and he noticed it with ease

I also was unaware of the mid shaft mark - but will ensure I use it

let you know if it changes the dynamics, when get a chance to dig again

When I had the lower stem out I put a bit of pressure on it a pound may be two no real way to measure

but it bent quite easily about 5 - 10 degrees - not scientific I know

Might see if I can work out a test but only might

Paul
What's the actual problem when you're detecting.

dondo

Re: Say Hi if you have a Simplex

Post by dondo »

If i'm nit picking the cup isn't big enough for my forearm, i've spent a lifetime in the gym and most cups are a bit small for me and don't fit fully into it.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Quote merneo. ..." In Reality I think its the Botton stem material thats at issue."

You could well be right.
Of course, I can only speak of my Anfibio shaft and that is a very sturdy bottom shaft in fact the whole detector is Sturdy. Its built like the proverbial Brick .... ..... :D

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Bors

Top 100 pc mid 100 pc bottom ??????

my concern is more of a longer term one if there is side to side movement and I mean at pinpointing a find level - then thats surely going to affect the lower cam lock over time

who wants find yr machine is out of warrantee and its got an issue

I was only trying get some facts - the solid stuff you can rely on

will try post a pic latter of the bend but don't want do in coil lugs - don't want damage

as I am on the whole ok with my detector - just one or two issues

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

Bors

Post by Bors »

So what you mean is it's too whippy for your liking . Does that mean at a Slow methodical wave side to side your getting a Whippy motion ? I mean you have to be going at a quite fast speed of a movement to get a "whippy reaction " and most Folk when pinpointing go SLOW when pinpointing, too and fro.So it doesn`t sound feasible somehow what you're saying is happening . I mean you`d have to have a stem the thickness of a pencil to get a whippy reaction going slow on even pinpointing.

Hang on me Brains hurting now :D !

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Bors

its not a small coil 11 inch dd is that same as amfibio?

do you have any idea on the amfibio bottom section material and may be weight it

I Will weigh mine and if it differs beyond an allowance or length difference

that will show difference

and no not thrashing about with it

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

Bors wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:26 am
Metallica wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:23 pm
Look guys, I have to say , this isn`t rocket science. Have you just stepped back a moment and give it any thought that maybe ! just maybe ,these people who have been detecting a good number of years just "might" know what they're talking about and you being novices at the hobby (without any disrespect to your position)would find it beneficial to take good advice on the chin but not feel bruised in any way.
Try having a think on it for a moment ! ::g
So please ,please don`t think I`m patronising you, as actually ,I and others are actually, simply trying to help you obtain the best methods and settings when help is given to folk new to detecting.
Most folk are here to help you and not bully or belittle you and any criticism of your method/s if at all is done , it is done to advise you not show you up.
With respect Bors im more than aware that people who have been detecting a good number of years just might know what theyre talking about and i have given no indication otherwise if my posts are read correctly . As already said im happy with the Simplex and think it was a good buy as a beginner going on the reviews etc , which is all there is in my position . Merely raised an observation after setting up the machine , nothing more nothing less .

Bors

Post by Bors »

Quote Metallica... " With respect Bors im more than aware that people who have been detecting a good number of years just might know what theyre talking about and i have given no indication otherwise if my posts are read correctly . As already said im happy with the Simplex and think it was a good buy as a beginner going on the reviews etc , which is all there is in my position . Merely raised an observation after setting up the machine , nothing more nothing less.

" Has anybody singled you out ? x;

Bors

Post by Bors »

Right To merneo.
I weighed my Stem and its 130.23 gms ,

I weighed both stem and Coil and its 607 gms.
Hope this helps.

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Bors

Stem 110g

Coil lead and stem 665g

included coil head cover supplied as thats how its been used

so some difference

16.67 pc stem - less

9pc heads + more

so thats actually a 25pc overall difference between the two

enough to make a difference may be

Paul
Last edited by Merneo on Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

Return to “Simplex Forum”