hassle - beach metal detecting easier ?

Useful information for anyone New to the hobby of metal detecting and just starting out.
dalos

hassle - beach metal detecting easier ?

Post by dalos »

Hi

I always thought metal detecting in some farmland sounded cool, taking Ur time to find something potentially valuable, amongst the peace and sunny weather.
And then I started reading about the process of gaining permission, seems like a lot of hassle.a bit off putting...
So it seems beach metal detecting is what I am left with. Seems easier to go and do your thing.

Thoughts anyone?

PinkFloyd

Re: hassle - beach metal detecting easier ?

Post by PinkFloyd »

Won’t find many Celtic roman Saxon Viking medieval coins or artefacts on the beach my friend .
Depends what your after I guess, modern jewellery, coinage etc... and your in ::g

Just go door knocking , many farmers think your going to be trapping around their land constantly, make it clear it’s just mainly a Sunday hobby for a few hours and you will fair well ::g

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis »

u;@ ::g

Unfortunately, the image that can be gained of metal detecting from press reports of huge hoards with life-changing value is as far away from everyday reality as it's possible to get. You are not likely to turn up very much of financial value and anything you do find will take a lot of time and effort. A lot of the time you'll be getting cold, tired and soaked for precious little reward of any description. That's the reality.

And of course permission to detect can be difficult to secure and, again, will take time, patience and effort to get where you need to be.

Not exactly a rosy picture, is it? But provided you're not looking for financial gain you will be hugely rewarded by the many pleasures this hobby has to offer and even the ropiest of days can be turned into one to remember at the turn of a clod.

All depends on what you're looking to get out of it as to whether the effort's worthwhile.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

dalos

Post by dalos »

Mmm I get the reality of it...but it makes me question spending something like £300 on a metal detector ( whites treasure pro) good for all terrain.

Tizabi

Post by Tizabi »

Dont know if its where i live and alot of history with wars with the scots the vikings the romans....etc but so far i have found in 1 year
the beach
1 king james 6 scottich groat
1 french jetton
1 amputula
1/4 of a hammered coin
40-50 musket balls

farmers land(include roman site
1 horse medalion
26 imperial pound weight
1 cart wheel
1 cannon ball

Tizabi 98;

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

To be a little pointed. If you’re in for the money you’re going to be constantly disappointed.

I’ve been detecting for 10 years and the most valuable thing I’ve found with a detector is probably only worth £120. I didn’t need a detector for for the most important find I’ve got. It’s made of stone.

There are peeps (not many) who constantly travel the British Isles detecting and rely on good finds to finance their chosen way of life. The majority of us only do it as a recreation with the thrill of the chase. Most of us are still chasing the fox :D

Tizabi

Post by Tizabi »

Ladybird66 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:01 pm
To be a little pointed. If you’re in for the money you’re going to be constantly disappointed.

I’ve been detecting for 10 years and the most valuable thing I’ve found with a detector is probably only worth £120. I didn’t need a detector for for the most important find I’ve got. It’s made of stone.

There are peeps (not many) who constantly travel the British Isles detecting and rely on good finds to finance their chosen way of life. The majority of us only do it as a recreation with the thrill of the chase. Most of us are still chasing the fox :D
so true i do it as a hobby and i love to hear the tone of a find wondering what im gonna unearth plus the peace and tranquillity and the excercise it gives when im out

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact »

dalos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 pm
Hi

I always thought metal detecting in some farmland sounded cool, taking Ur time to find something potentially valuable, amongst the peace and sunny weather.
And then I started reading about the process of gaining permission, seems like a lot of hassle.a bit off putting...
So it seems beach metal detecting is what I am left with. Seems easier to go and do your thing.

Thoughts anyone?
depends on how far from the coast you live ... and what part of the coast :) :) :)
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Macroman

Post by Macroman »

Hemmm !!..this has always been a big question for debate.
For me it was always a two horse race..
I absolutely loved getting up very early to catch low water ... feeling the breeze on your face on a beautiful early Summers morning.. watching the caumerants stretch their wings in the early morning sunshine.
All I ever expected was a few "spenders"...and always in the back of my mind a piece of yellow as my well deserved reward for the hours of commitment I had given to my love of detecting the beach.
On the other hand... getting into my rebuilt convertible Suzuki Vitara convertible.
Which I completely rebuilt myself.
Then arriving at my farmland (Roman permission)...ah the smell of freshly mown hay..and other assorted "miffs".
Setting up my trusted Makro "red" racer and a bit of ground balance..and off !!
Just a beautiful feeling of pure euphoria, feeling free and so appreciative of being able to enjoy the true feeling of being free to enjoy the pleasures of such natural and unspoiled surroundings.
Then wow !!..that's a good signal..pointer out.!..spade in to the "sod"..dig out the out the plug...pointer bleeping ..wow,wow wow !!
there it is..a beautiful little well preserved bottle top !!..ah well put back the plug.. stamp it in...and on for the next one.
So,in essence...I love and miss my detecting,it's the best hobby out there?
Anyway,good hunting to you all...and as always, thanks for reading,and good hunting
for you all.. ::g

dalos

Post by dalos »

depends on how far from the coast you live ... and what part of the coast :) :) :)

I live in London lol.

alfaowner

Post by alfaowner »

I read a post recently about the expectations of a detectorist and your question echoes that , we all detect for different reasons and yours seems to be for financial gain ,nothing wrong with that if that’s your motivation , but just because you bought a machine it doesn’t mean your fortune will follow , ::g if it’s a quick buck your looking for then the beach may be be A better option ::g ::g

cammann

Post by cammann »

Ladybird66 wrote:
.....There are peeps (not many) who constantly travel the British Isles detecting and rely on good finds to finance their chosen way of life.
Are there really? Thats gotta be a tough way to make a living given how rare decent finds are. How are they able to get permissions all over the country which are constantly providing decent finds?
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring and the quiet enjoyment of the countryside.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

cammann wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:50 pm
Ladybird66 wrote:
.....There are peeps (not many) who constantly travel the British Isles detecting and rely on good finds to finance their chosen way of life.
Are there really? Thats gotta be a tough way to make a living given how rare decent finds are. How are they able to get permissions all over the country which are constantly providing decent finds?
Apart from Rallies your guess is as good as mine. Never really taken much interest in them
I did meet one guy on the beach a few years ago. Dave something or other. Had a word with him. He told me he reckons to find at least 4 gold rings per day.
I’d already been there a couple of hours and found tat. He’d been there about 30mins, already got one in his top pocket and when we passed going the other way he’d got another one. Said he was having a bad day.
Go figure x;

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM »

Hi dalos,
Not sure wether you're inserting a key and just winding it up.... but....
raf,750x1000,075,t,403c32-92341a482f.u2.jpg
Going down the line of I only want self enrichment means "you'll know the price of everything" but eventually "the value of nothing".
The joy comes not just from what is found but the value of friendship, camaraderie and that element of adding to what we know of our history!
But I will admit finding a liitle bit of buttery yellow metal when you're soaking wet and youre boots are weighed down with mud, does give a warm glow.
Try the hobby mate - its worth it 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

cammann

Post by cammann »

Ladybird66 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:10 pm
He told me he reckons to find at least 4 gold rings per day. He’d been there about 30mins, already got one in his top pocket and when we passed going the other way he’d got another one..... Said he was having a bad day.
Go figure x;
With find's as frequent as that he has to be related to Fred ;))
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring and the quiet enjoyment of the countryside.

Bors

Post by Bors »

dalos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:47 pm
Mmm I get the reality of it...but it makes me question spending something like £300 on a metal detector ( whites treasure pro) good for all terrain.
I get the feeling Metal Detecting isn`t for you then. Your finding reasons not to do it before you`ve even started. :-/ I wouldn`t buy a detector if I were you as you don`t appear to have the right attitude towards doing detecting thats needed .
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Koala

Post by Koala »

dalos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:30 pm

I live in London lol.
wouldn't a Thames license work out cheaper and easier in the long term ?

dalos

Post by dalos »

Ladybird66 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:10 pm
cammann wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:50 pm
Ladybird66 wrote:
Apart from Rallies your guess is as good as mine. Never really taken much interest in them
I did meet one guy on the beach a few years ago. Dave something or other. Had a word with him. He told me he reckons to find at least 4 gold rings per day.
I’d already been there a couple of hours and found tat. He’d been there about 30mins, already got one in his top pocket and when we passed going the other way he’d got another one. Said he was having a bad day.
Go figure x;

That's crazy. Was it due to the metal detector he was using , or maybe the research he had done ?

dalos

Post by dalos »

alfaowner wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:46 pm
I read a post recently about the expectations of a detectorist and your question echoes that , we all detect for different reasons and yours seems to be for financial gain ,nothing wrong with that if that’s your motivation , but just because you bought a machine it doesn’t mean your fortune will follow , ::g if it’s a quick buck your looking for then the beach may be be A better option ::g ::g
It's not so much financial gain. It's just having a purpose that follows through. And after paying for a travel ticket with a slightly priced metal detector, it's hard not to be aware of the financial side of the hobby.

dalos

Post by dalos »

Bootneck45RM wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 pm
Hi dalos,
Not sure wether you're inserting a key and just winding it up.... but....
raf,750x1000,075,t,403c32-92341a482f.u2.jpg
Going down the line of I only want self enrichment means "you'll know the price of everything" but eventually "the value of nothing".
The joy comes not just from what is found but the value of friendship, camaraderie and that element of adding to what we know of our history!
But I will admit finding a liitle bit of buttery yellow metal when you're soaking wet and youre boots are weighed down with mud, does give a warm glow.
Try the hobby mate - its worth it 👍
Haha :) . What it is, I wanted an excuse to be outdoors more and the idea of 'treasure hunting' kinda appealed to my inner child lol. Looking at various metal detector finds on YouTube kinda exacerbated that. Having now read the reality of it, I thought of posting here to get some perspective.
Last edited by dalos on Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

dalos

Post by dalos »

Bors wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:51 pm
dalos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:47 pm
I get the feeling Metal Detecting isn`t for you then. Your finding reasons not to do it before you`ve even started. :-/ I wouldn`t buy a detector if I were you as you don`t appear to have the right attitude towards doing detecting thats needed .
Would you be annoyed if I told you I purchased a Whites treasure pro metal detector? :)
I wasn't fooled by the name, it just seemed like it was good for nearly all terrain. I hope.

dalos

Post by dalos »

Koala wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 pm
dalos wrote:

I live in London lol.
Should I get a permit? I heard the Thames is visited by alot of detectorists so finds are kinda difficult.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Quote dalos,....." That's crazy. Was it due to the metal detector he was using , or maybe the research he had done."

Sometimes people do like to appear "the man". They carry around a couple of Gold rings or a few Hammered coins on them just to impress and make themselves out to be some kind of fantastic detectorist. It seems to turn them on when you gape at their "finds" and pour praise on them.
Sometimes it best not to take in all that baloney. :D ::g

Quote dalos,.... " Should I get a permit? I heard the Thames is visited by alot of detectorists so finds are kinda difficult."
Only you can answer that question not anyone else. You`ll never know unless you do it yourself.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

ratty

Post by ratty »

Bors wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:26 am
Sometimes people do like to appear "the man". They carry around a couple of Gold rings or a few Hammered coins on them just to impress and make themselves out to be some kind of fantastic detectorist. It seems to turn them on when you gape at their "finds" and pour praise on them.
The above made me smile, on one of the first digs i went on after returning to detecting at lunch i asked a chap parked next to me how he had done, "just a couple of hammies" he replied and opened his find pod to show me.
On a subsequent dig i happened to be passing a group of people who were looking at the same chaps "finds" and the same phrase was trotted out. Go figure.. :))

hammy20

Post by hammy20 »

Hi,reality check on beach detecting.

JH

CS4Pi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Koala

Post by Koala »

dalos wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:51 am
Koala wrote:
dalos wrote:

I live in London lol.
Should I get a permit? I heard the Thames is visited by alot of detectorists so finds are kinda difficult.
"finds are kinda difficult"

thats kinda metal detecting for you

at least there would be little transport cost. There aren't many places where you find 400 year Old pipes laying on the surface

dalos

Post by dalos »

hammy20 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:14 pm
Hi,reality check on beach detecting.

JH

CS4Pi.
Mmm. Mentally noted.

dalos

Post by dalos »

Bors wrote:
Quote dalos,....." That's crazy. Was it due to the metal detector he was using , or maybe the research he had done."

Quote dalos,.... " Should I get a permit? I heard the Thames is visited by alot of detectorists so finds are kinda difficult."
Only you can answer that question not anyone else. You`ll never know unless you do it yourself.
I went detecting yesterday in Brighton! I was really knacked from getting up and the travel , had little sleep previously so ugh. But detecting was fun, I found little and wanted to go on but so tired. Will try for the Thames permit.

dalos

Post by dalos »

Koala wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:17 pm
dalos wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:51 am
Koala wrote:

"finds are kinda difficult"

thats kinda metal detecting for you

at least there would be little transport cost. There aren't many places where you find 400 year Old pipes laying on the surface
Indeed, will apply for one.

dalos

Post by dalos »

ratty wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:17 am
Bors wrote:
The above made me smile, on one of the first digs i went on after returning to detecting at lunch i asked a chap parked next to me how he had done, "just a couple of hammies" he replied and opened his find pod to show me.
On a subsequent dig i happened to be passing a group of people who were looking at the same chaps "finds" and the same phrase was trotted out. Go figure.. :))
Guess he just wants to socialise instead of detecting maybe. Being socially anxious myself, I can't imagine doing this . Which is also why asking for permissions sounds like a headache.

Return to “Beginners Forum”