Newbie Mistake

Useful information for anyone New to the hobby of metal detecting and just starting out.
Digger60

Newbie Mistake

Post by Digger60 »

Today I asembled my EuroAce and took it out for our first hour of detecting. Massive fail!
It did detect lots of 'stuff' but could I locate it? Not a chance. I 'pinpointed' the signals, dug hole after hole...not a sausage except for some stray foil. I came home totally cheesed off, stuck the detector in a cupboard and rewatched the 'how to' video's on youtube. I still couldn't work out what I was doing wrong...until I decided to check if the cable was connected securely. It was, but the blinking coil was on back to front!! Lesson learned. On Saturday I will find coins. I will.

lonecoiler

Re: Newbie Mistake

Post by lonecoiler »

Digger60 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:44 am
Today I asembled my EuroAce and took it out for our first hour of detecting. Massive fail!
It did detect lots of 'stuff' but could I locate it? Not a chance. I 'pinpointed' the signals, dug hole after hole...not a sausage except for some stray foil. I came home totally cheesed off, stuck the detector in a cupboard and rewatched the 'how to' video's on youtube. I still couldn't work out what I was doing wrong...until I decided to check if the cable was connected securely. It was, but the blinking coil was on back to front!! Lesson learned. On Saturday I will find coins. I will.
Similar thing, in a rush to get out with the 250 it was assembled and off I went. The coil would not stay in the plane I set it to and kept flopping about. When I got home I checked the instructions (which being a man I hadn't looked at) and found I had put the rubber washers in the wrong place. :;@
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.

So many fields, so few permissions

Bors

Post by Bors »

Digger60 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:44 am
I don`t know ,because you havn`t mentioned one, but are you using a Pinpointer probe as well ?
If not it's advisable to get one to Zero in on the "Detected" target in the spoil heap or Sod. Relying on the Coil alone is OK when the targets in the Ground, but once extracted out of the ground the Pinpointer finds the find a lot quicker & easier.
If you have got one just disregard the probe bit. :D
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

I'm puzzled. What is meant by "the coil is on back to front" ?
You mean the 'toe' is closest to your feet, and the 'heel' furthest away, as in the picture here:
viewtopic.php?p=619343#p619343

If that's how you've got it fitted, it makes no difference to the operation of the machine, everything works perfectly.

geoff

Post by geoff »

I'm wondering what shoes you are wearing, a common mistake, toe caps etc.
Coil,on back to front will not cause a fail, as long as the cable or shaft is not interfering with the signal.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

Digger60

Post by Digger60 »

Fusion wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:57 pm
I'm puzzled. What is meant by "the coil is on back to front" ?
You mean the 'toe' is closest to your feet, and the 'heel' furthest away, as in the picture here:
viewtopic.php?p=619343#p619343

If that's how you've got it fitted, it makes no difference to the operation of the machine, everything works perfectly.
Yes and Its a double d coil so pinpointing with the coil was way out. I didnt have a probe at the time.

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

"pinpointing with the coil was way out"

Pinpointing is just one of those skills you have to learn. For DD coils, sweeping over the target North-South, in addition to the regular West-East direction, is what you need to practice. By that I mean standing at 90 degrees to the target and sweeping North-South. Use the pinpoint mode AND sweeping the coil to work out the location.
Put a sticky white/yellow 'spot' label ( eg. electrical insulating tape) on top of your coil in the exact centre, to guide you. Make a few card circles about 60mm diameter cut from a cereal box. Put one down where you think the 'sweet spot' is, then re-pinpoint, and re-adjust the card marker until you're happy with the location. Then dig. When you've practiced enough, the marker becomes unnecessary, you can simply 'eyeball' the spot.
Last edited by Fusion on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bors

Post by Bors »

I know Fusion doesn`t agree with me on this as this subjects been up recently, but you don`t have or need to pinpoint with the coil, especially with a small to medium-sized coil. All that's required is to go over the ground till you hear the target bleep or blip whatever you want to refer to it as, then once it's sounding off under your coil the loudest by crisscrossing , take a visual recognition of where the coils " LOUDEST detection area " is, take the coil away then dig out a sod or clump of Dirt depending on what your searching over then it should with a few practice digs be in the Sod or soil you take out. Then alls required then is to zero in with the pinpointer for a more accurate finding of the target. There really is no need to be attempting to "accurately pinpoint " with the detector coil, because the detectors already informed you its underneath the coil, why do you need to pinpoint where it is under the coil when the detectors told you the targets beneath the coil. With a bit of practice, you`ll wonder why you ever persued to pinpoint with precision with the coil.
But even with a 12" to 15" coil as long as you know where the "detection spot "on the coil comes into play the strongest, you can visually remember where the target sound was loudest over, and then dig in that spot.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Digger60

Post by Digger60 »

Fusion wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:50 pm
"pinpointing with the coil was way out"

Pinpointing is just one of those skills you have to learn. For DD coils, sweeping over the target North-South, in addition to the regular West-East direction, is what you need to practice. By that I mean standing at 90 degrees to the target and sweeping North-South. Use the pinpoint mode AND sweeping the coil to work out the location.
Put a sticky white/yellow 'spot' label ( eg. electrical insulating tape) on top of your coil in the exact centre, to guide you. Make a few card circles about 60mm diameter cut from a cereal box. Put one down where you think the 'sweet spot' is, the re-pinpoint, and re-adjust the card marker until you're happy with the location. When you've practiced enough, the marker becomes unnecessary, you can simply 'eyeball' the spot.
Brilliant, I'll try this.
Cherrs

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Or..... fling a pound coin on your garden , and see where abouts on the coil gives the best audio response . :D
If you havnt a pound coin, I’ll send you one for a fiver ::g :))

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

"Fling a coin on your garden, and see whereabouts on the coil gives the best audio response"
I wouldn't recommend this. Firstly, it's unnecessary - the best response point is the centre of the coil. Secondly, an unskilled newbie will likely come to the conclusion the 'sweet spot' is at the toe of the coil, or off to one edge, or somewhere daft. This has happened on here, more than once...

Return to “Beginners Forum”