Stuff around the house

Only for the Discussion of Fossil Searching, Hunting, collecting, finding.
WVAM

Stuff around the house

Post by WVAM » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:02 am

I'm not a fossil collector but I do collect fossils, if you see what I mean. They get picked up, brought home and then left somewhere around the house, in the loft, in the garage or go to my wife's junior school somehow never to return. I don't mind as the fun is in the finding and some amateurish attempts to prepare them. So I thought I'd add a few of the nicer ones to the thread. Scale is a modern 10p coin (25mm or 1" in old money).

Poly might want to pitch in with an ID on the Isle of Wight fossils found between Castlehaven and St. Catherines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve_T

Re: Stuff around the house

Post by Steve_T » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:12 am

Ohhhh errr........they are some nice ones, thanks for sharing ::g

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:18 am

Hello WVAM, 'Not a fossil collector but a collector of fossils' - great description of your activities ::g That's an excellent selection of a 'few' of your fossil finds and I completely understand that your enjoyment is derived from finding rather than collecting them. A relative new subject on the forum but it's certainly been gathering pace since it was first started. Thanks for sharing this and good luck for 'more findings'. Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:37 am

I our house, I'm the collector & my better half just likes finding them, it's quite competitive & grates that the current largest ammonite found was by her ! B| It helps that I'm the only finder of shark & marine reptile fossils =))

Everything used to be on a database but after the death of the last PC all was lost so it's all in my head (for now).

Bon dimanche

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:57 am

Some stunning ones there. I can say that if the ones near me were of that quality they’d be coming home with me too.

Very, very nice :D
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 22 B-)

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks folks - your comments are appreciated. Just need to find some time to get down to the coast for a rummage - there's always something to find.

HH

Chris.

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Made me laugh.
What lovely fossils.

poly

Post by poly » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:52 pm

All four specimens are lovely examples. The Liparoceras specimens from Seatown are of Jurassic age whilst the Castletown specimens are of Cretaceous age. The two specimens from Castletown are weathered and thus some of the fine ribbing which may have existed is not there to aid definite identification and the closest I can get is Schloenbachia and Mortoniceras. However, I will show both photographs to an ammonite expert friend who hopefully can be more accurate than me.

Ammonites are a prime example where precise location details are critical. With a precise location (ie.Grid reference etc..) where the specimen was found I will know or rather should know the rock type/ name and formation, and the specific age of that rock. From there I can access my reference collection for a precise identification.

The Jurassic and Cretaceous periods are subdivided and dated on ammonite zones, some ammonite species only hung around for a few million years before becoming extinct. Some of these ammonite zones may actually only represent less than 10cm of rock thickness in the geological column.
XP Deus user.

All the gear but no idea !

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks Poly, tremendous knowledge and much appreciated.

The grid references I’ll send you. I didn't record anything at the time but we were on holiday at a friends cottage near the beach so I remember them well and have just looked up the locations.

If you are on that part of the Isle of Wight you can get down to the beach at Castlehaven. From memory fossil pickings were very sporadic but some reasonable ones when they did turn up.

Thanks again,

Chris

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 am

They look quite special. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:08 am

They look stunning and would grace any collection. I can only imagine how long it took to get them looking like that. Well done you ::g

The first one is a real beauty :D

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 am

Ladybird, thank you.

the last two are almost as they came out of the ground. The bigger Liparoceras (dark background) from Seatown was found on the surface of a mud slide and only needed some soft clay removing. I found two in the same place - no idea where the other one has gone. The brown ammonite from the IOW (last one) was exposed nearly as you see it on a block about a metre cubed - just had to break it free. The smaller Liparoceras from Seatown was hidden in a rock not much bigger than the fossil so thought I'd have a go at getting it out. That probably took a couple of hours with some small chisels and it was more of a "wonder if I can get that out".

mrix's gastropod and the Liparoceras fossil show they can be found almost as shown if you're lucky and live in that world, like most detectorists, of always gazing at your feet.

Going by some of the comments I suspect there are some great fossils in collections to show - anyone?

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:29 am

Nicely prepped too
They display really well
::g ::g
Cheers
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:02 pm

WVAM wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 am
Ladybird, thank you.

the last two are almost as they came out of the ground. The bigger Liparoceras (dark background) from Seatown was found on the surface of a mud slide and only needed some soft clay removing. I found two in the same place - no idea where the other one has gone. The brown ammonite from the IOW (last one) was exposed nearly as you see it on a block about a metre cubed - just had to break it free. The smaller Liparoceras from Seatown was hidden in a rock not much bigger than the fossil so thought I'd have a go at getting it out. That probably took a couple of hours with some small chisels and it was more of a "wonder if I can get that out".

mrix's gastropod and the Liparoceras fossil show they can be found almost as shown if you're lucky and live in that world, like most detectorists, of always gazing at your feet.

Going by some of the comments I suspect there are some great fossils in collections to show - anyone?
I had visions of you doing a Leonardo on them. You make it sound easy ! They are very nice ones though. I was thinking you could be selling them as garden ornaments.
I’ve had my eye on a standing stone, that was part of a burial mound, for a few years but the farmer won’t let me have it. It’s been displaced for many years and has been used as a gate post in the past so no longer of Archeaological interest. It’d look great in my garden :D and yes I’m sure you’re right about hidden gems tucked away and forgotten. I’ve got one or two myself but nothing as beautiful as the ones above. Mine are small, animal, vegtetable and mineral. Gathered, as you said, just walking along, nose to the ground.
Talking of ‘nose’ I’ve got part of a coprolite, always raises a smile when I give it to visitors :))
Look forward to seeing some more of yours ::g

Return to “Fossils Forum”