Rutus Alter 71 + Garrett MS-3 Z-Link Wireless.

Topics related to RUTUS metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Bargeman

Rutus Alter 71 + Garrett MS-3 Z-Link Wireless.

Post by Bargeman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:27 pm

I have mentioned on here before, that the weak link, and my one niggle with the Rutus Alter, is the wireless module. The battery life is poor, it loses signal to easily, and no matter where you put the receiver, it always seems to be in the wrong place, but it is still better than hard wired headphones.
So I have looked for a better option, I have tried one or two wireless kits, but the sound quality has not been too good with the Rutus, even though some were good with other brands. But at last I have found a winner in the shape of the Garrett MS-3 Z-Link system. I bought this kit from Steve T, on here ::g

Today I had a chance to see if it was compatible with my Rutus, and if it would fit to the shaft ok, and the quick answer is yes. So after first turning the Rutus onboard wireless to off, i set about fitting the Garrett transmitter to the shaft, an easy job as it is held with a rubber O-ring, simplicity itself.

Then it is a case of pairing the headphones to the transmitter, I could not believe how fast and easy this turned out to be, just turn on the transmitter, and then just turn on the headphones, and that was it, instant! all that was left was to turn on the Rutus, and swing the coil over a coin, perfect, no noticeable lag, great tones, and very loud, but at least the Garrett phones have a volume control knob for easy adjustment.

I shall do a field test at the weekend, but on first look, fantastic. ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

Steve_T

Re: Rutus Alter 71 + Garrett MS-3 Z-Link Wireless.

Post by Steve_T » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Happy days, glad it has all worked out and is working ::g ::g

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

chip

Post by chip » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 pm

I have the ms3-zlynk originally bought for my at pro but now on my cscope 4pi.
Great bit of kit. You don’t even Have to turn the sender on, it should come on automatically when you switch the machine on. Although don’t forget to turn off as that is not auto.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

beep-and-dig

Post by beep-and-dig » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Never had a problem with my rutus module, 20 hours battery life [alkaline ] and crisp clear
sounds from my xp wired backphones, stick the module into your shirt pocket, it's well out
of the way.
Maybe you have a faulty one BM. Good Luck with your new setup.

Les.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Never had a problem with mine either but I also use the deteckniks set up as well on both the Rutus and the Safari, have to admit though it's about time Rutus built some headphones with the receiver built in, although the module does allow you to use any headphone set that you may already have I'm still using an old set of Chefphones with mine most of the time but can change to a lighter set when the weather is to hot .
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:29 am

I'm not a fan of the wired module, like Bargeman says - it always seems to be in wrong place ;-(

BUT Rutus have said that they are working on fully wireless headphones... so I'm waiting for these to come out!
Rutus Alter 71, Equinox 600, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
YouTube - tcDetects

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:13 pm

I am on my 3rd module, they were all the same.

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

chip

Post by chip » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:28 pm

I have two pairs of ms3 head phones, the ones that came with my z-link kit including sender and the ones that came with my at max. I have never had a problem with either of the phones dropping the signal when using in conjunction with the sender but occasionally they lost signal when using with my at max, only when I put the detector Down to dig. They more often than not automatically re paired when I picked the detector up again but not always which meant sometimes faffing about to get them to pair. I used to wear them with the volume control on my right ear as I’m right handed but this meant that the cup with the on off button and the reciever was on the opposite side of my head to the side of me I lay my detector down to dig (hope this is making sense).

So in a moment of genius I thought Maybe my noggin in the way was causing the signal to drop so switched the phones around wearing them with the cup with the on off button on the right ear the same side as I carry my detector. It seems to have done the trick, no more lose of signal since ::g
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Return to “RUTUS Forum”