Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus - advice sought...

Topics related to Tesoro / Laser metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Tesoro / Laser Videos
Roughwood

Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus - advice sought...

Post by Roughwood » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Hello All.
I am very much a new starter, and have, as my first detector, an elderly Silver Sabre Plus which my wife bought me.
I have so far made a kind of test bed in the garden and am trying to understand how the detector works best. I simply wondered if anyone out there with experience of these machines might be prepared to share some wisdom?
Anything would be welcomed.
All the best,
Mike

Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus

Roberts

Re: Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus - advice sought...

Post by Roberts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:38 pm

I do not have the model myself but found the user manual online that might help until someone comes and explains better. Good luck. ::g

Silver sabre plus user manual
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

tinsmith

Post by tinsmith » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Bit of a cult machine in there day , good on the small stuff ::g

Davethepaint

Post by Davethepaint » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Great machine still use one had it serviced by Pentechnics get to know it its very good on small items. Best of luck with it .Regards Dave.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Have had one for years and years,run mine 8 on sensitivity and 2 on discrimination and that is basically it.Also have a B3 which is similar and a B1 but that has manual Ground Balance.

The Silver Sabre was one of the most popular machine years ago and has become a cult detector.
TDI Pro with 9x5 folded mono,14x9 mono,15x12mono,18''mono,20''mono
Deus as a backup
Crossbow Pulse
Mirage Pulse
Nexus MP
Nexus SE
Fisher TW-5 twin box

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Roughwood wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 pm
Hello All.
I am very much a new starter, and have, as my first detector, an elderly Silver Sabre Plus which my wife bought me.
I have so far made a kind of test bed in the garden and am trying to understand how the detector works best. I simply wondered if anyone out there with experience of these machines might be prepared to share some wisdom?
Anything would be welcomed.
All the best,
Mike
Good help there from 'Roberts' ::g As said the Silver sabre (and all the Tesoro models of the day) were and still are, well respected and capable machines able to keep abreast of many current detectors. It's a great choice for 'starting out'! Good Luck and enjoy it.
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks again Sweepstick. I have a further question if I may bung this out there...
I have read a lot about the importance of ground balancing and so on. Now, as I understand it, my SS Plus is basically 'Switch on and go' without any such bells and whistles, so to speak.
Am I correct in this assumption? Please excuse my ignorance - never touched a detector before!
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am

Roughwood wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 am
Thanks again Sweepstick. I have a further question if I may bung this out there...
I have read a lot about the importance of ground balancing and so on. Now, as I understand it, my SS Plus is basically 'Switch on and go' without any such bells and whistles, so to speak.
Am I correct in this assumption? Please excuse my ignorance - never touched a detector before!
Hello 'Roughwood', That certainly was the case with the first of the Silver Sabre series. Have you had a look yet at the link from 'Roberts'. Cheers .
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

human

Post by human » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 am

my first machine too, wish i still had it.
if it beeps in both directions of sweep.. dig it.
for test, bury iron at a few inches, a copper bronze or lead gold or silver coin or artifact at a few inches, one of the above with iron next to it a at a few inches. note the differences.
Discrimination 2/3 sensitivity 8+. non desirable target tends to spit both ways of sweep or beep well one way and spit the other. desirable target beeps both ways, deeper targets fainter but same.
no real need to upgrade ever from the silver sabre in my opinion and have owned a few different makes and models now. ::g
Minelab explorer se

targets

Post by targets » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm

on my test garden its no better or worse than a deus on numerous targets
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:09 am

Hello again.
Just wanted to thank everyone who has passed on the above info. Very helpful and I am now feeling a lot more comfortable with the detector.
Still looking for permissions however...!
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am

Roughwood wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:09 am
Hello again.
Just wanted to thank everyone who has passed on the above info. Very helpful and I am now feeling a lot more comfortable with the detector.
Still looking for permissions however...!
That is possibly a little more effort demanding :D but perseverance will bring you just reward.
Good Luck. ::g

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am

As a general rule when you dial in just a small amount of discrimination ie about 2,the only time you will hear a signal is when the coil goes over a decent desirable target and not say small nails or other small iron,but it will sound of for very large iron items like say horseshoes et but then saying that almost all detector and it makes no odds how much they cost will trigger a good audio signal over large iron.

But the beauty of these types of Tesoro/Laser machines they run mainly in a silent mode till the coil goes over a decent target,then it will sing out,iron or foil can give a broken signal.Its worth also puting a selection of everyday targets down on the ground and pass the coil over each item and you will see that decent targets that you are after will give a decent audio signal but small nails will give broken audio or in some cases depending how much you have dial in on the discrimination maybe nothing at all.But if you knock out foil you can and will loose out on the desirable silver hammered coins.
Deus as a backup
Crossbow Pulse
Mirage Pulse
Nexus MP
Nexus SE
Fisher TW-5 twin box

mikejencat

Post by mikejencat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm

your in good company. eric laws found the hoxne hoard with a silver sabre.
low & slow best wishes

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 pm

I ran a old Tesoro for a couple of years.

Run the discrimination as low as you can get away with.

A lot of iron will break through but give a dirty sound.

With good headphones you can hear the difference.

If you are not digging a few iron rings and nails bent at 90 then your probably using too much discrimination.

Very large iron close to the surface will also fool you to start with. Swing off centre and listen to how the sound changes. A good target will fade away nicely as iron will brake up and stop suddenly.

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:22 am

More great advice. Many, many thanks. Especially interesting to read about the Hoxne hoard!
Mike
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus

mikejencat

Post by mikejencat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:59 pm

you can hear eric recount his finding of the hoard on hoxne history site under oral recollections
it was recorded in my kitchen when eric was 90 & still detecting .
he wouldn`t be happy with me as I left the e out of his name .
mike

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:56 am

Thankd for this - I'll try and find it...!
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 am

It's perfectly true that a Silver Sabre 11 did find the Hoxne hoard,but i feel that it was just the fact that he put his lucky coil over the find and not necessary the fact that it was a SS,the amount of gold/silver and just the sheer amount of it with the coins i am certain would have triggered almost all detectors a positive signal.

I am not knocking the fact that one of these machines found the hoard,i also own and use one and have done for many many years,but Eric Laws struck lucky on that day for sure.But for every day detecting the SS will still find you some stunning finds for sure.

I had listened too that Hoxne audio recording sometime back and it does make terrific listening.
Deus as a backup
Crossbow Pulse
Mirage Pulse
Nexus MP
Nexus SE
Fisher TW-5 twin box

Return to “Tesoro / Laser Forum”