Tesoro Golden Sabre

Topics related to Tesoro / Laser metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Tesoro / Laser Videos
kenleyboy

Tesoro Golden Sabre

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 am

Hi all , some advice please regarding the Tesoro Golden Sabre . I am looking to buy a back up machine that wont break the bank and a club member has one of these detectors for sale in top condition .There are two coils with this machine , one being the 11inch wide scan and the 7 inch deep search .
I have heard some good reviews about these machines and was interested to know if any other members here use or have used them and what they think about them . I have read that back in the day they were a good machine and will hold their own now up against the new technology we get with the latest models on the market .
I am particularly interested in what depth the 7 inch coil can manage .
My current back up machine is the Ace 250 , I have no problems with this detector other than my hand tends to slip down up against the control box and can get quite uncomfortable when swinging the 250 side to side . The idea of the control box on the Sabre having the option of a belt attachment is certainly appealing .
Thanks in advance .

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Lowland

Re: Tesoro Golden Sabre

Post by Lowland » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:25 am

Hi kenleyboy
I was lucky enough to have a golden sabre as my first machine
And loved it
Was upset to sell it.
It pulled some great finds out of the ground
Including a viccy half sovereign ::g
(Two weeks into detecting)
That was 6 inches down.
Mine had the solid white coil-i think it was a deep or wide scan
Depth never seemed to be an issue.
Also had a brown doughnut coil-that appeared to be very sensitive.
Im sure there will be some good replies to your query coming up
A bit more in depth :)
But i loved it-and the resale was more than i paid for it originally
That tells you something
Cheers
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:58 am

Tesoro"s of this era are all one of the same.

I have a Bandido with a 10" and 5.5" coil. There's not much difference in depth between them on smaller targets. The 5.5" will just pull up a pre decimal coin at 10" in the ground. Smaller coins are around the 7" mark.

The 10" coil is about the same on a cut half but about an inch or so deeper on a pre decimal half penny.

That's in my garden.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Hello 'Kenleyboy' ::g The Golden Sabre was a very popular machine in the mid eighties and lived up to it's reputation being their number one seller despite the arrival of the more expensive- Royal Sabre and Toltec models some time later.

I'm not aware of any specific problems with the Golden Sabre or any of the Tesoro range of that period, although the battery 'pods' need to be checked for cracks at both ends together with the coil cable which should be checked where it enters the coil for damage. I believe the Golden Sabre was a 'Notch discriminator'.

It's an easy to operate machine, well built with a strong protective aluminium control box.
All in all a very reliable machine which can as you say be belt or chest mounted (my own choice).

I hope this is in some way helpful. All the best ::g - Regards ss47

PS. My 'Eldorado' is still going strong -purchased new in 1987!
A disservice is no service at all.

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:52 am

Hello Kenleyboy.
I have been detecting now for only a few months. My machine is a Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus. In it's original condition etc. It didn't break the bank and has proved it's worth to me several times. Combined with a Nokta pinpointer I have had some good finds - albiet my permission is rather limited.

I have been fortunate enough to have had a lot of helpful advice via the forum and 'in the field' from some experienced detectorists, so that undoubtedly has helped.

I can honestly say that when the time comes to upgrade, I'll certainly look at Tesoro again and I have no intention of ever getting rid of the SS+ ::g

Hope this is helpful to you.
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Return to “Tesoro / Laser Forum”