Last chance saloon for 600

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
rex123

Last chance saloon for 600

Post by rex123 »

Still not convinced by machine. Am taking 2 out on Saturday, 1 of which I know is deep and If nox can't match it then it's going.
Last edited by rex123 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bors

Re: Last chance saloon for 600

Post by Bors »

u;@
rex123 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:58 am
Still not convinced by machine. Am taking 2 out on Saturday, 1 of which I know is deep and I'd box can't match it then it's going.
Its not ALL about depth though is it surely? Target separation plays a big part in detecting as I`m sure your aware which the Nox is extremely good at doing that . I would say be patient and give your understanding of it another 6 months (at least) before giving up on it. It can`t harm to do that :D ::g
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

fred

Post by fred »

rex123 wrote:
Still not convinced by machine. Am taking 2 out on Saturday, 1 of which I know is deep and I'd box can't match it then it's going.

Noxes are not machines that you just switch on and go to get maximum performance, they need to be learned over time. You seem happy enough with it on the beach. Your last post about the Park settings being smoother than the Field ones was a bit unsettling and makes me think that there is something not right with the setup. The Park settings are smooth because depth is sacrificed for stability. I'd certainly not be using Park regularly on fields anyway.

A correctly set up Nox should be pretty similar to an Explorer, which you've used before, but with a much quicker target response and a lot more depth.

However, if you don't have confidence with any machine then perhaps you really shouldn't be using it. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Flossyrockstar

Post by Flossyrockstar »

rex123 wrote:
Still not convinced by machine. Am taking 2 out on Saturday, 1 of which I know is deep and If nox can't match it then it's going.
Try dropping your recovery speed down to 1 ::g

rex123

Post by rex123 »

Have not seen the depth on pasture with the nox that I know the XS got, so am running side by side on Saturday, weather permitting, and to keep things equal will be using a pro coil on XS but will also take an FBS 800.

As an add too, been messaging a friend who builds sonar's etc, he's quite amused by the multi frequency claims, especially as regards GB and recovery speed.

geoff

Post by geoff »

The fbs other machines have,and equinox multi frequency, are great for detecting on different terrain, such as wet sand, anyone who says different does so foolishly.
That said, if you cant get the hang of the machine, or take good advice on programmes and settings best suited for uk fields, you will lose money, I would listen to advice, set the machine up to work in the uk, and persevere in learning, and gaining confidence in what is widely recognised as a high performance and versatile detector.
Good luck, and happy hunting.
Last edited by geoff on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

If you are using the Nox in 'Park' settings on pasture/ plough in the UK then you haven't got the machine set up correctly and will not get the depth or performance the machine is capable of.
It is an intuitive machine in many ways. I run mine with it as open as possible and have educated my ears to sort the signals instead.
If it doesn't suit you it doesn't suit you. I'm kind of at a loss to understand what the initial post is meant to convey? It seems to be phrased as if its some kind of definitive judgement of the machine's capability. Perhaps it is, in your eyes. The Nox isn't for everybody.
All I can say is its the best machine i have ever had and that isn't just about depth....though that is very good....but mainly its superior target separation and ergo its ability to tease out some excellent finds from areas where there area lot of iron/toot targets. Areas i had covered with other very capable machines. We all speak as we find.
If it is 'going' then i suggest the for sale section of the forum....there will be plenty of takers. :D ::g
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

I am quite new to detecting in general and the Nox in particular.

The very first time I tried the Nox, I hated it and found it very frustrating and was ready to switch back to the Racer...However with a little help from a fellow Club member/Nox owner, I was soon up and running...

Having used it for a few months now, I would say that its relatively easy for a new user to get about 75% of its potential providing you follow good advice ect, but its that last 25%, that takes the time.

From reading posts by the likes of Fred, Littleboot and others on here, I know that I can get more out of the Nox, and I know the direction I need to go to get it, but at the moment I am enjoying it as it is and am building up my experience slowly...
Equinox 800
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

rex123 wrote:
Dont forget you can advertise it for free on our buying and selling forum here ::g
viewforum.php?f=116
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

rex123

Post by rex123 »

20 years a minelab user and I don't know how to set one up? 🤔

I use no discrim, no iron bias, and recovery at its lowest possible, and go VERY SLOW, which a lot of nox users seem unaware of.

A fast recovery speed will always work better on a single frequency machine, same goes for GB.

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man »

Today I found a 50p sized piece of lead at at least 10" with my Equinox 800. How deep do you want to go? :-/

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

Off topic replies removed please remember to stay on topic within this minelab equinox sub forum ::g
Thanks
mrix

Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Mancave-man wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:35 pm
Today I found a 50p sized piece of lead at at least 10" with my Equinox 800. How deep do you want to go? :-/
Alot deeper than 10". Like the OP I have a 600 and I'm not impressed with it, despite dropping the recovery to 1 and the iron bias to 0.

Like the OP too, I've been a Minelab user for a long time. Seems most users love them but some can't get on with them.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

rex123 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:44 pm
20 years a minelab user and I don't know how to set one up? 🤔

I use no discrim, no iron bias, and recovery at its lowest possible, and go VERY SLOW, which a lot of nox users seem unaware of.

A fast recovery speed will always work better on a single frequency machine, same goes for GB.

Maybe you need to up the recovery speed a bit?

recovery speed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Scoob wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 pm
Mancave-man wrote:
Alot deeper than 10". Like the OP I have a 600 and I'm not impressed with it, despite dropping the recovery to 1 and the iron bias to 0.

Like the OP too, I've been a Minelab user for a long time. Seems most users love them but some can't get on with them.
How deep? x;
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man »

Scoob wrote:
Mancave-man wrote:

10" is very deep for any normal machine. Perhaps you need to get rid of them and try something else.
Though I have no idea what that would be but good luck anyway.

fred

Post by fred »

Scoob wrote:
Mancave-man wrote:

Those settings are something I would strongly advise against using on land. Even on a 600, and with Tone 1 and everything else set up properly, all the signals will be so wide that in most fields you will not be able to sort out where one signal ends and the next one starts. The Nox is not quite like other Minelabs so I really wouldn't rely on your experience of other machines too much.

There is plenty written about how to set up and learn the Nox but trying to bypass the learning curve really is setting yourself up for a hard time. Once you start to suss out the Nox it is a completely different ballgame and there are lots of permutations which work for people.

Anybody can post or pm their settings and I will certainly have a good look at them for you. Better still try and find somebody with a Nox to run through it with you.

Best of luck. :D
Equinox 800 x2

JonM

Post by JonM »

After only 5 months with my Equinox 800 I quite rightly consider myself to be a complete novice with the machine having up to now only used the most basic of settings before my confidence grows and I feel comfortable in delving deeper into the machines quirks and capabilities, surely this is all part of the "learning curve".
Yes I do own "A.N. Other" detector which has served me well and will continue to do so as I have invested 18 months into learning and understanding it but even now people will suprise me with sound advice on the machine.
Two completely different machines with two different operating systems in my opinion.
Makro Multi Kruzer (KR28 and AF28 coils).
Minelab Equinox 800.
Nokta Pointer.
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT.
Diamond Digger.
Gladius Stainless Spade.
DARC Member.
NCMD Member.

Skute

Post by Skute »

rex123 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:44 pm
Even if true, the difference would be so marginal that it wouldn’t have much practical effect on normal usage anyway.
Why did you buy a nox if you already thought multifreq was duff and single frequency machines are better?
Ive been a minelab user for 25 years😛 (just a sovereign xs but even still!) and my nox 800 is the best minelab ive owned. Im still learning the ropes with it but without a doubt, its better in every respect to my previous minelab. I dig more and deeper and i havent even got it running flat out yet.
If banks gave out free gold bars, i guess someone would moan about that too. Minelab have done a good job with the nox but they cant please everyone all the time. No one can.

haggz

Post by haggz »

any nox owners local to you that could meet up with you and share their knowledge on set up etc.

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod »

do the nox machines not have a basic set of programs to start new owners off with,and then once you get used to pre installed programs you can tweak ?

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

detecting rod wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 pm
do the nox machines not have a basic set of programs to start new owners off with,and then once you get used to pre installed programs you can tweak ?
Hello again detecting rod ::g Yes there are some basic setting recommendations for 'start-up' and in addition, various helpful suggestions have now been put forward above, which should sort the OP's concerns. Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

geoff

Post by geoff »

They do Rod, most use field 1 or 2.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

fred

Post by fred »

geoff wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:23 pm
They do Rod, most use field 1 or 2.

But as soon as you start to get confident with the buttons start twiddling because Noxes are far better than the standard Modes would suggest! ::g
Equinox 800 x2

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod »

thx for info ,mrs still wants to feed the kids so still not got one yet ,but best to get all the info ahead of time

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

detecting rod wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 pm
They do, Rod. But as this is a US brand they tend to be optimized for American conditions and search scenarios ( hence the Park modes) and...more crucially...American finds. (I.E. not hammered coins etc but milled coins often of specific metal content.) That is why we have to tweak 'em..or miss the goodies we are really after.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle »

littleboot wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:46 pm
we have to tweak 'em..or miss the goodies we are really after.
Exactly this

d;] ::g
Minelab Equinox 800
My settings link:
viewtopic.php?f=291&t=102266

Hammered = 10

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

I'm quite looking forward to seeing the results, though would only be meaningful with settings used. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

NoxHunter

Post by NoxHunter »

I’m finding the equinox 600 is really nice to use in field one 50 tones after coming from a minelab Safari the equinox is a great machine to use fond stuff at 18” with no problem and I would not be putting my equinox for sale it’s so good of a machine and it’s so lite to use and you don’t need to buy batteries every time you use it and it’s wireless too so no ripping your head phones off every time you dig lol and if it’s raining and you are bored you can still go out with it it’s fully waterproof to 10 meters under water lol could not of asked for more all the best noxhunter ::g
Last edited by NoxHunter on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🏴‍☠️ Minelab Equinox Dirt Fishing For Gold.Silver.Copper.Bronze 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Staffordshire 🇬🇧

Bors

Post by Bors »

NoxHunter wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
I’m finding the equinox 600 is really nice to use in field one 50 tones after coming from a minelab Safari the equinox is a great machine to use fond stuff at 18” with no problem and I would not be putting my equinox for sale it’s so good of a machine and it’s so lite to use and you don’t need to buy batteries every time you use it and it’s wireless too so no ripping your head phones off every time you dig lol all the best noxhunter ::g
Well, I`ve never found a Coin at 18" even with a Nox . Oh, I tell a lie, I did once . It was under a Galv Bin Lid. :))
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”