Page 1 of 1

Equinox update v2.1

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:42 am
by Skute
I apologize if this subject already has been done to death but I can't seem to find just what I'm looking for.
I've only had my equinox a couple of weeks and ts still quite new for me.
Yesterday I tried the beach program down at my local bit of water and dug bottle caps all over the place. They were all coming in around 13 to 17.
Back home i watched a few youtube vids and clocked that there was an update that'd help a lot with bottle caps. Connected my equinox up and upgraded to v2.1. The upgrade went down without a hitch and I easily found the new f2 menu.
I'd brought a few bottle caps home and tried them with f2 set to 6. There was absolutely no difference! They were still coming through between 13-17. Tried turning the f2 settings flat out to 9 but it still didn't make a difference.
My question is......have I had dodgy update or is there something I've not done?
Actually using the f2 settings seems straightforward enough.....select f2 and press back no detect mode. That is correct isn't it?

Re: Equinox update v2.1

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 am
by GeorgeMK
What bottle caps are you trying? The F2 is designed to help avoid crown cork type caps that are stamped steel with the jagged crimped edge. It will not stop you finding screw on caps.
1A12D99C-4B8A-4C1C-B8C0-5E41C5A8CA7E.jpeg

Re: Equinox update v2.1

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:06 am
by GeorgeMK
F5EAC543-7D86-452B-918B-9F292C36F4F6.jpeg

Re: Equinox update v2.1

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 am
by nordic
There is an unofficial recommendation to reset the detector before and after update. People report odd behaviour after updating without resetting to defaults.

F2 only helps with certain bottle caps as mentioned. Problem with them is the metal plating, that fouls any metal detector. Worth mentioning that by cranking FE or F2 you may start missing good targets as well. Make sure you are in All Metal mode too.

Your technique is also important. Try walking in circles around the target, swinging from different angles. You'll soon discover that bottlecaps may respond with some unique style and next time you can avoid them better. In fact, I would recommend to dig as much as you can to get the feeling how good and undesirable targets sound.

Re: Equinox update v2.1

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 am
by Skute
Yes it's exactly those types of bottle caps I was referring to.
OK great, I didn't do a factory reset after installing the update and nor did I switch to all metal. I'll try that a bit later when I get home from work.

Thanks for your advice guys 👍

Re: Equinox update v2.1

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:30 am
by fred
Also not all crown caps are the same composition.

I find that it is far easier just to get to know the signals that the crown caps on each beach tend to give. The TID numbers bounce about all over the place and you can usually hear the difference in 50 tones. That said if you are not sure about any signal then it is safest to dig it up. ::g

Re: Equinox update v2.1

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:26 am
by TinDigger
Bottle caps can be a real pain, you get some around 15,16,17 then I also tend to find them up around 83,84,85 and also 90,91. I think it's all down to the alloy used. The caps in the higher numbers all seem to be very magnetic so must have a high ferrous content which makes it all the more confusing as you'd expect them to be low numbers.

Re: Equinox update v2.1

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm
by Ten pence!
I rarely detect the beach on account of the ones near me being rubbish! But what I did find with crown caps is rusty ones often gave iffy signals but newly discarded shiney ones, with the varnish intact, were hard to avoid in that the signals were not sufficiently vague that you'd want to leave them in the sand.......

Re: Equinox update v2.1

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 am
by Skute
Ok ive got it sorted now. Now getting negative numbers on some but not all bottle caps. Also seem to be getting clearer iron grunts on the caps that still give positive numbers.
I reset factory defaults, rolled back to v1.50, reset factory defaults again, upgraded to v2.12 and again reset factory defaults. It did the trick.
Now to try and work out how to minimise the chattiness...