Nox 800 or Sovereign for wet beach?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
stejens

Nox 800 or Sovereign for wet beach?

Post by stejens »

Hi all,

Was hoping to get some advice from users of both machines. I was thinking about getting the Nox 800, but purely because it works well on the wet beach from what I have heard, and also good on land.

I currently swing the Deus, it's not so effective on wet beach and I'm sure another machine would do much better. Although if I went for the Nox800 then the Deus would be getting sold to fund it! That is option 1.

Option 2, however, is to keep the Deus for land use mainly and buy a second hand sovereign/GT for the wet beach, as I still see comments saying the machine is hard to beat on the wet, even by the nox.

Any advice appreciated, cheers 👍

Xp Deus & Nox 800
Garrett Carrot
Roughneck Micro Shovel / Evolution Dagger
Best finds: Lionheart Hammy - Medieval Seal Matrix - Gold/Silver Tudor Hat Pin.

Steve B-)

My YouTube Link:
https://www.youtube.com/user/stejens1 l;/

Ladybird66

Re: Nox 800 or Sovereign for wet beach?

Post by Ladybird66 »

Are you serious ? I used the Safari. Great machine on beaches but heavy, heavy. Swapped to same as you’ve got, light but hard work on beaches.
Don’t see any argument here. The Equinox is both lightweight and excellent on all terrains. I’d see the Sovereign as a step backwards.
You’d certainly notice the weight difference if you bought one. Have you read the section in the blue panel l;/ For the Equinox. Everything you wanted to know about it is there. ::g

Must admit I’m probably biased, I have the 600 :D

stejens

Post by stejens »

Ladybird66 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:05 am
Are you serious ? I used the Safari. Great machine on beaches but heavy, heavy. Swapped to same as you’ve got, light but hard work on beaches.
Don’t see any argument here. The Equinox is both lightweight and excellent on all terrains. I’d see the Sovereign as a step backwards.
You’d certainly notice the weight difference if you bought one. Have you read the section in the blue panel l;/ For the Equinox. Everything you wanted to know about it is there. ::g

Must admit I’m probably biased, I have the 600 :D
I am serious, yes. Weight reasons and convenience pushes me toward getting a Nox 800, but results - which I've heard to be rather impressive and still not beatable unless humping around a 3030, leans me toward the Soverign GT. Plus affordability, of course.

I will likely end up with an 800 though, I like convenience, with half decent results still.
Xp Deus & Nox 800
Garrett Carrot

Steve B-)

My YouTube Link:

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

Have a look in the Beach,River section over there l;/ for some of Freds finds on the beach. Plus this link

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=117613

Know where you’re coming from but I think you’ll find Fred hats covered all things ‘beach’ in either the above or the Equinox sections ::g

Bors

Post by Bors »

u;@ I agree.
As much as I once loved my Sovereign I used for 5 years, its yesterday's technology, and now moving quickly into a "has been" bracket .Something along the lines of comparing a 1982 Austin Allegro to a 2020 Toyota C-HR hybrid. .......Sad but ....No contest .
Some people are that loyal to their "old" detectors that it takes some convincing that their detectors are indeed old & past their sell-by date has beens, and it takes some kicking and screaming to drag them away from the past into the future, but probably 9 out of 10 times it soon dawns on them they`ve made the right decision and they adapt extremely well to their new found technology.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

fred

Post by fred »

The Sovereign was a decent enough machine in it's time, and it introduced me to Minelabs. I have no doubt that there are some still successfully being used but they haven't been made for many years so even finding a good one and then keeping it going might be problematic. Also be aware that there were several variants over the years, some better than others. They were often used hip mounted to overcome the weight issue.

I used Sovereigns, then Explorers, then CTXs and now use the Nox. On my beach and land sites each one has, in my opinion, been a step in the right direction. They do take a bit of application to learn properly, perhaps more so if you are coming from different brands which may work a little differently. ::g

PS Just like Bors comment above really but with added subtlety! :D
Last edited by fred on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Can’t see the point in going backwards , modern machines are better at everything .

mariothemoss

Post by mariothemoss »

I have had same problem with beeches pondered on getting a sovereign or nox,then bought an etrac for 380 pounds plus extra 6 inch stealth coil that had never been. used. ::g

fred

Post by fred »

mariothemoss wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:42 am
I have had same problem with beeches pondered on getting a sovereign or nox,then bought an etrac for 380 pounds plus extra 6 inch stealth coil that had never been. used. ::g

If you are only going to detect on big clean beaches then you have several options, all of which will perform well enough. If you also want to detect on land or on 'dirtier' beaches like mine, where 2,000 years of trade, conflict and leisure have littered them with iron and junk, then the more modern machines are a real advantage. :D
Last edited by fred on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Some 'Off Topic' replies have been removed. Please ensure replies relate to the OP's topic
Thank you ::g ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

geoff

Post by geoff »

I owned a sov for some years, and now use the nox800.
No contest, the nox is,
Lighter
Faster, more adaptable to conditions.
Waterproof.
Wireless headphones.
In my opinion, the nox is superior in all respects, with similar depths of detection, and deeper in trashy areas with no signal bleed over.
I loved my sov, love the tones, but it is old technology and very slow recovery, overpriced for an older machine.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

NoxHunter

Post by NoxHunter »

How come everyone goes for equinox 800 the equinox 600 is the same machine gust with out the 2 gold programs if you don’t live in down under I can not see the punt in paying extra £300 for 2 programs you will not probably ever use in uk ::g
🏴‍☠️ Dirt Fishing For Gold Silver Copper And Bronze 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Staffordshire 🇬🇧

Bors

Post by Bors »

NoxHunter wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:23 am
How come everyone goes for equinox 800 the equinox 600 is the same machine gust with out the 2 gold programs if you don’t live in down under I can not see the punt in paying extra £300 for 2 programs you will not probably ever use in uk ::g

Well there is a bit more than that to it if you check the stats to the Equinox model. To quote............

The 800 has Bluetooth headphones and the WM 08 wireless module, whereas the 600 has wired in the initial package.

The EQUINOX 600 is limited to 5 kHz, 10 kHz, and 15 kHz single frequencies, while the EQUINOX 800 also offers those plus the additional higher frequencies of 20 kHz and 40 kHz.
So two more frequencies over the 600.

The other big difference between the EQUINOX 600 and the EQUINOX 800 is the “Advanced Settings” available on the EQUINOX 800. These settings allow for a finer degree of tuning on various options that both models share

The EQUINOX 800 has a User Profile button that allows the operator to jump straight to an alternative Detect Mode. This can take multiple button pushes on the EQUINOX 600. For example, to get from Park 1 to Beach 1 takes four pushes of the Detect Mode button to cycle there. An EQUINOX 800 user can program an extra User Profile for a jump there in one button push. This is strictly a convenience item. The EQUINOX 600 only allows you to turn the backlight on or off. The EQUINOX 800 has Low, Medium, High, or Off. This is only of interest to heavy users of meter backlights.
So there are most definitely further benefits to the 800 owner over the 600 model. ::g

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

I know the 800 will find everything the 600 finds, but will the 600 find everything the 800 does ..

That niggle swayed it towards the 800 for me.

rex123

Post by rex123 »

Am beginning to think 600 in beach 2 is better than my explorer.

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

stejens wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:21 am
..I still see comments saying the machine is hard to beat on the wet, even by the nox.
Since you're talking specifically about wet beach - here's a quote from Minelab.

"Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."

https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabb ... ies-part-1

Depends if you want to find high conductive silver coins I suppose.

It would be very hard to justify the ridiculous high prices that people are asking for the Sovereign but there are real bargains out there - if you wait long enough...
Equinox 600

fred

Post by fred »

Rocinante wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:42 pm
stejens wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:21 am
..I still see comments saying the machine is hard to beat on the wet, even by the nox.
Since you're talking specifically about wet beach - here's a quote from Minelab.

"Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."

https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabb ... ies-part-1

Depends if you want to find high conductive silver coins I suppose.

It would be very hard to justify the ridiculous high prices that people are asking for the Sovereign but there are real bargains out there - if you wait long enough...

Given that Minelab are still selling an expensive FBS machine (the CTX) they would say that.

My own experience is very different but perhaps all the silver coins that I find are low conductive ones or something else about the Nox is compensating for the difference? Although it was good I certainly find more silver with the Nox than I ever did with the CTX :D
Equinox 800 x2

stejens

Post by stejens »

Thanks for the replies everyone, you've made up my mind, which is what the post was to help me do ::g

I think I was more set on getting the 800 to begin with, but as with any big purchase the nerves and doubt kick in, so reassurance is always good ;))
I really wanted something that has good results on a wet beach. Plus i have always wanted to try Minelab.

:D ::g
Xp Deus & Nox 800
Garrett Carrot

Steve B-)

My YouTube Link:

Bors

Post by Bors »

Quote Fred,..." Given that Minelab are still selling an expensive FBS machine (the CTX) they would say that."
Yes as expected of course ,Minelab will apply ....... the MRDA. :))

geoff

Post by geoff »

My equinox, in my experience is as good as my etrac in quiet ground, and superior in iron infested areas, on the beach, well its lighter, and waterproof, and no headphone wires.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

fred

Post by fred »

stejens wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:30 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone, you've made up my mind, which is what the post was to help me do ::g

I think I was more set on getting the 800 to begin with, but as with any big purchase the nerves and doubt kick in, so reassurance is always good ;))
I really wanted something that has good results on a wet beach. Plus i have always wanted to try Minelab.

Best of luck. Try and get an experienced user to show you the ropes, it really does lessen the pain. :D
Equinox 800 x2

stejens

Post by stejens »

fred wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:10 pm
stejens wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Best of luck. Try and get an experienced user to show you the ropes, it really does lessen the pain. :D
Thanks :D I will likely sit down and watch countless hours of YouTube videos on the in's and outs B-) ::g
Xp Deus & Nox 800
Garrett Carrot

Steve B-)

My YouTube Link:

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Watch sids equinox settings on YouTube , don’t necessarily use his settings but he explains what’s what and how to do it ::g

stillair1

Post by stillair1 »

The Sovereign does seem to be gathering a cult status. Probably just to bump up the prices of the trash you see on the bay. I would not consider picking up a machine of that age unless its from a shop with a warranty. This is what I did last year (a mint GT), followed by a straight shaft to balance it and then a wot coil to unbalance the beast. x;
I'm still learning the machine, but as said above by Fred the recovery off iron is slow and best suited to the cleaner beaches compared to the nox. If you used to using sound and vdi, its a culture shock to step back in time to tones only.
If you want to try the nox 600 and the sovereign on a beach then I'm not a million miles away from Aldeburgh.
Neil
Whites IDX, DFX
Garrett 400i
Nox 600
Sovereign GT
XPointer

Bors

Post by Bors »

stillair1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:37 pm
The Sovereign does seem to be gathering a cult status. Probably just to bump up the prices of the trash you see on the bay. I would not consider picking up a machine of that age unless its from a shop with a warranty. This is what I did last year (a mint GT), followed by a straight shaft to balance it and then a wot coil to unbalance the beast. x;
I'm still learning the machine, but as said above by Fred the recovery off iron is slow and best suited to the cleaner beaches compared to the nox. If you used to using sound and vdi, its a culture shock to step back in time to tones only.
If you want to try the nox 600 and the sovereign on a beach then I'm not a million miles away from Aldeburgh.
Neil
Its not gathering a cult status ,its always had one for many years now. And I think people have recommended it down the years and the recommendation has just become that well known that people just know its a tried and tested good detector.One of the problems owning one is Its just a case of trying to keep them "on the road" so to speak .
They are getting a bit long in the tooth now but if you can put up with the weight and the nulling its still worth considering if you can`t afford something like an Equinox. They are great detectors to learn about detecting methods especially recognizing Tones . Silver paper gives that really recognisable "fuzzy" sound. Use it in all metal and Sensitivity as high as you can get to run evenly & you`ll get some pretty decent depths out of it .But sadly it just cannot compete with "some" of the young bucks of todays metal detectors, and I`d say the Equinox is one of them.

hawken woods

Post by hawken woods »

both the sov and the nox will find gold on the beach... with a little experience...
For the weight, you can use a harness...
I've been using ctx for 4 years, I'm totally satisfied... But I've kept my sov as a spare machine because I know that this machine finds...
You have to know your machine well... and it will soon pay for itself...

Skute

Post by Skute »

I brought my Sovereign in 1995 and apart from a coil change to a 10 inch tornado, I've done nothing else with it. It still works as good today as it did from New.
I've now upgraded to a nox 800 although I've only had it for a few weeks.
My daughter has inherited my Sovereign and we was on the beach the other day. Apart from a very deep bottle cap, the Sovereign could pick up everything the nox found although I'm not saying that would always be the case.
Mounting a Sovereign on the hip actually brings it in slightly lighter than a nox.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Skute wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:32 am
I brought my Sovereign in 1995 and apart from a coil change to a 10 inch tornado, I've done nothing else with it. It still works as good today as it did from New.
I've now upgraded to a nox 800 although I've only had it for a few weeks.
My daughter has inherited my Sovereign and we was on the beach the other day. Apart from a very deep bottle cap, the Sovereign could pick up everything the nox found although I'm not saying that would always be the case.
Mounting a Sovereign on the hip actually brings it in slightly lighter than a nox.
Myself I`ve no doubt the Sov will match the depth of the Equinox or with the right person using it go deeper even .I say that because I know the depth it can reach not only on the beach but (In soil). I`ve never achieved the same depth with the Equinox that I got with the Sov ,and Ok its not got the modern technology of the Nox onboard, but for raw depth capability , coupled with right conditions,and if the user knows their stuff with one ,the Sovereign has the capability to deliver, no problem, but again compared with the Equinox its a boring detector to use . With the Nox you definitely feel you have all the bases covered insofar as ALL areas and settings needed for whatever is required for tweaks and for those who like visual adjustments ,so for todays detectorist the Nox it`s got it all, and I`ve noticed the second hand prices are not that stable, you can pick a Nox up relatively cheap if you look around hard enough .

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

Bors wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:16 pm
NoxHunter wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:23 am

Well there is a bit more than that to it if you check the stats to the Equinox model. To quote............

The 800 has Bluetooth headphones and the WM 08 wireless module, whereas the 600 has wired in the initial package.

The EQUINOX 600 is limited to 5 kHz, 10 kHz, and 15 kHz single frequencies, while the EQUINOX 800 also offers those plus the additional higher frequencies of 20 kHz and 40 kHz.
So two more frequencies over the 600.

The other big difference between the EQUINOX 600 and the EQUINOX 800 is the “Advanced Settings” available on the EQUINOX 800. These settings allow for a finer degree of tuning on various options that both models share

The EQUINOX 800 has a User Profile button that allows the operator to jump straight to an alternative Detect Mode. This can take multiple button pushes on the EQUINOX 600. For example, to get from Park 1 to Beach 1 takes four pushes of the Detect Mode button to cycle there. An EQUINOX 800 user can program an extra User Profile for a jump there in one button push. This is strictly a convenience item. The EQUINOX 600 only allows you to turn the backlight on or off. The EQUINOX 800 has Low, Medium, High, or Off. This is only of interest to heavy users of meter backlights.
So there are most definitely further benefits to the 800 owner over the 600 model. ::g
Well i went for the 600. I don't want or need gold settings. i never use single frequencies anyway (I bought the Minelab because i wanted Multi frequencies! ) so two more of 'em is adding more stuff i won't use. I am happy with the range/choice of settings I have....I pretty much have settled on what i like now and I am not into twiddling things about for the sake of it. As far as changing modes is concerned it may take a few pushes of the detect mode button etc to get to beach 1 from field 1....but frankly it takes a couple of minutes. As far as backlights are concerned, i never have mine on anyway.
It depends on budget and I suppose to me I didn't need the extra bells and whistles. I
I very much agree about being loyal to older technology. I still have my old stalwart machine as back-up...but the truth is the Nox is so much more user-friendly and effective in every respect so i never use the oldie. I took ages to take the plunge though as I'd had lots of success with that machine. Glad I did though.The 600, even without the extras, is flexible and nimble and great fun to use. I also feel liberated by the fact it is waterproof.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Bors

Post by Bors »

I love my detector as much as I love My Mrs. But ,the main thing I love it has over the Mrs is,....
IT DOESN`T ARGUE BACK ! :D ::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”