Help needed with Iron Bias please

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Flashharry

Help needed with Iron Bias please

Post by Flashharry »

Hello all

I started detecting in the 70's with a C-Scope TR 400, moving onto Arado 95 for the beach and 120 for land searching. Then onto the Silver Sabre and the Laser B1.

Hung up my headphones when the kids came along, but now they are through university and gainfully employed, I had an itch that needed scratching and got a new NOX 800 for Xmas.

Have been out coin shooting, finding more coins on every search as I practised with the machine.
But am still digging lots of iron, I realise this is all part of the learning phase, but I would appreciate some advice on the correct Iron Bias setting if possible.

I have the Fe Iron Bias set at 3, don't know if this is a little high, please advise?

But I haven't a clue what to do with the FE2 setting, please could somebody help me with this please?

I'm going to start venturing over farm sites over the next few weeks, using the Field 1 settings initially and then onto Field 2 when I have a better understanding of the machine.

I am based in Surrey, and would be delighted to hear from other NOX users who could help with my learning curve.

Regards
Neal

Regards
Neal aka "Flash"

Buriedbytime&dust

Re: Help needed with Iron Bias please

Post by Buriedbytime&dust »

3 is fine for general search. I think the ideal is to lower it until you can run with it turned off completely. It's a filter, and like all filters, when you use it you do run some risk of filtering out good signals as well as junk.

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK »

I use the Searcher Power Program settings that are set up using Field 2. (See Google/youtube) The iron bias (FE) is set at 3.

F2 was introduced recently, and although I installed the software upgrade I haven’t changed F2 from the factory setting (ie 6). FE and F2 do not run at the same time, it is one or the other, I use FE only, in the Searcher settings, so the F2 setting is not of importance to me.

nordic

Post by nordic »

Unlike any other setting on Nox, F2 and FE settings run separately.
Other way to put it, Nox has 8 detecting programs, but in fact you have 16 with new firmware. 8 on FE and 8 on F2.
So this depends on the setting that you leave in the advanced menu. If you set F2 and exit settings, F2 program is active. If you set FE and exit settings, FE program is active. Minelab could not make it more confusing.

As you may know already, F2 is rather for those that battle bottlecaps a lot.

Digging iron is inevitable, but as you get better with the machine, you will start recognizing it more. As it was mentioned numerous times, checking the target from different angles and signal repeatability can give a lot of clues whether the target is ferrous, even on FE/F2 = 0.

geoff

Post by geoff »

As said, dont bother with fe2, I started on f set at 4, using Gordon Heritage programme,4x4,but with 50 tones.
It is a good place to start, you wont miss much both fe and recovery set at 4, in field 1.
It helps to quieten the tone volume of section 1 to its lowest setting, also the tone pitch, you can hear targets from minus 9 to 0 in all metal, but they are background noise.
You could raise this section from minus 9 to +1.
I started like that, and have not really changed much, I'm hitting small non ferous no worries.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

Train your ears.
It really is that simple. Then you can pull the iron bias down much lower without digging too much iron and without having to dumb down the machine.

People who came to the Nox from machines that were more intuitive....often without any kind of readout numbers to act as a crutch to signal ID....have the edge in being able to adjust to being able to sort out the ferrous on the NOX. I came from the GMP...and I learned that being able to tell ferrous from the good stuff was to study not just the tone/pitch but also the shape of the sound, the variations, the sharpness of the end of it, how mellow or otherwise it was, if it gave a double sound, if it had spits of breaks in it....etc etc.
Once you twig that pressing settings isn't key to iron recognition, but tuning in your ears is...then picking iron on the Nox is a breeze. I run iron bias zero and rarely dig anything iron apart from the usual suspects like iron rings etc....and even then I am pretty sure they are iron but dig them only to remove the small area of doubt.(If i am in the mood to be fussy, that is.)

practice, not settings, is the way forward.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Furtler

Post by Furtler »

Are you in default, or do you detect with the horseshoe on? Default is off for a reason. Turn horseshoe on to check signals. The mix of buzz and tone helps ID iron easily. The more buzz in the mix, the more likely it is to be iron. Lift the coil 15 inches. If the signal is still strong it is likely to be big iron
You will find the tone turns to buzz as the air gets to it if you dig it. You can also use the button by your thumb to check for iron by changing frequencies. You can also use the normal preset and save the same as a profile but with f2 in operation and switch between the two to see how the two differ on targets.

Flashharry

Post by Flashharry »

Thanks for all the replies

I thought the two Iron Bias programs ran in parallel and so both needed to be set.

I will reset my machine to the Factory settings and then only adjust the FE settings.

Many thanks for all the help.
Regards
Neal aka "Flash"

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

In truth you need to put in the hours and train those ears as LB states, there is no quick fix or shortcuts.

Once understood the Equinox is a very good machine in regards to telling you what is iron, you just need to get on the same page as the detector! Personally I avoid running in all metal, the lower end minus numbers mean you will get some ground noise in some if not most conditions, you really do not need to be hearing that, and you most certainly do not want to be cranking up iron bias to counter it!

The bigger stuff that breaks into the positive numbers becomes a doddle to ID as it has distinctive sounds compared to more desirable targets.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Furtler wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm
Are you in default, or do you detect with the horseshoe on? Default is off for a reason. Turn horseshoe on to check signals. The mix of buzz and tone helps ID iron easily. The more buzz in the mix, the more likely it is to be iron. Lift the coil 15 inches. If the signal is still strong it is likely to be big iron
You will find the tone turns to buzz as the air gets to it if you dig it. You can also use the button by your thumb to check for iron by changing frequencies. You can also use the normal preset and save the same as a profile but with f2 in operation and switch between the two to see how the two differ on targets.
Better still notch some iron in, typically minus 5, 6 or 7, no need to press the horseshoe then, smaller stuff and the ground will not be heard, slightly bigger iron objects will sometimes break into the positive numbers but due to the notching will "spit" giving away the true nature of the target, you can process all that in your brain in a few milliseconds and move on....

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”