Equinox 800

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Detectiff

Equinox 800

Post by Detectiff »

Hi all any information will be very much appreciated, I have just got a secondhand machine in very good condition a Equinox 800 hardly used.

I am brand new to this I have got a couple of spare coils a 6 the standard 11 and a 15 I am guessing that I should start with the 11 first trip going out tomorrow ?

Bors

Re: Equinox 800

Post by Bors »

Yes! start with the 11" as it`s the stock coil . ::g
You could ease your way in by this so simple and easy programme that will be easy on you to start off with.......

Press the power button once until you see the whirling startup
procedure on the screen. Once the machine is on and the display
up on the screen press the horseshoe button to put it into all
metal.Keep this on!
Now find a bit of ground with no metal in and as you scan from
left to right adjust sensitivity using plus or minus buttons until
you get a stable threshold. Dont noise cancel yet leave it at 1 (if your
detecting partner also has the same setup you can decide who changes
either up or down one.
Dont ground balance, leave at 1 .This is balancing to Ferrite which
is the equivalent of Iron Oxide in the ground our most prevalent
mineral and equal to searching on an iron infested site.
I forgot to mention stick it in " field 1".
The clue to not digging bits of iron is using the all-metal mode
(horseshoe button), you will get a double hit of the low grunt of
Iron and the higher pitch of a digger and the numbers on screen
won't stabilise they`ll bounce.
When you're confident with the machine drop the Iron bias down to
I would personally use (2)two tones, but its optional.
So for starters Set the recovery speed to four, this is for general hunting,
when you find a good target or hit a patch of Iron drop the
recovery speed DOWN to 1 and search REALLY slow and grid the
area up/down/left/right and diagonal in both directions, if
there's anything there you will find it. Once you move on don't
forget to lift the recovery speed back up.
Field two is REALLY
sensitive to the small stuff and you will spend a lot of time digging
the tiniest of targets, use this if its a really good site and there`s
small or thin section targets like cut quarters/halves etc coming up.
Once you feel confident with this ,you can move to another set up but this will ease you along for a while and not be too in your face.
Hope if you try it it suits you.
Last edited by Bors on Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

NoxHunter

Post by NoxHunter »

I’d Put it in field 1 till you get use to it standard setting are pretty good but Mack sure you noise cancel every time you switch on the machine and use atomic ground balance hope that helps a bit ::g
🏴‍☠️ Dirt Fishing For Gold Silver Copper And Bronze 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Staffordshire 🇬🇧

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

I always run any new machine in the manufacturers preset mode to begin with, for a few hours anyway, this gives you a baseline, dig anything that gives a signal until you have some idea of what you'd like.
Then start fiddling, I've seen some shocking advice in regards to setting on Youtube and on some forums!

Oh, AND READ THE MANUAL! :D

geoff

Post by geoff »

Field 1 is a good start, 2 is noisier/ less stable.
Noise cancel every now and then
Ground balance set at 0(default setting), or 1.
I like 50 tones, but your choice, 2 or 3 is a good learning point.
Recovery speed 4 is good, fe 3 or 4, but drop this to nearer 0 once you feel confident.
If you do go for 3 or more tones, you will want to learn how to quieten down the iron tones, leaving the others on full volume, easy when you get to grips with the menu.
Sensitivity from 19 up to 23, lower if the detector gets chatter.
If you are under power lines, or your phone likes the detector it can get noisy, bin the phone, and maybe change from multi frequency, (the best option), to 20, just until away from electro magnetic interference, and do noise cancel.
Dont wear steel toe caps either, they will drive you mad!
Nice slow sweeps, maybe 2 or 2 1/2 seconds each way, keeping the coil low without bumping it along.
Horseshoe on, that is the all metal setting.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

Doodles

Post by Doodles »

mate,

Equinox is a decent machine, i think personally start with preset settings that are with the machine just until you get used to what its characteristics and sounds for various metals are(few good hrs) then slowly as you get used to it tweak the programs to suit your environment. This will be a trial and error for a bit but once you have this mastered it is a matter of swing, detect and reap the reward. ATB GL & HH.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Doodles wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:23 pm
mate,

Equinox is a decent machine, i think personally start with preset settings that are with the machine just until you get used to what its characteristics and sounds for various metals are(few good hrs) then slowly as you get used to it tweak the programs to suit your environment. This will be a trial and error for a bit but once you have this mastered it is a matter of swing, detect and reap the reward. ATB GL & HH.
What the man said! ::g

Do not try and run before you can walk! I've had my Nox for well over a year now and some of the advice on here has started to confuse me!

fred

Post by fred »

I agree with ten pence. One 'problem' with the Nox is that although it is a very powerful and versatile machine it can seem a bit intimidating at first. Resist the impulse to hedge it and put up with the iron that you will inevitably dig to start with and I can almost guarantee that in a month or two you will wonder what all the fuss was about. Best of luck. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Yes Fred, I’m starting to get to half like the equinox now after a few weeks use .
It’s not an instant success machine, it does need a bit of time .
I’m at recovery 3 iron 2 now, tried reducing the iron but I’m still not quite used to it at 1 yet , I’ll stick to 2 for the time being

Bors

Post by Bors »

I really think its a great detector. I myself wouldn`t say its a Deep seeker but maybe I never had the opportunity to go over anything amazingly deep to think otherwise. But I can say it's certainly a game-changer to others out there .
The only thing I would stress is don`t think you must get everything spot on with it, to begin with as who can ,hand on heart tell you what spot on is? FIND that man !!
It's a very forgiving detector and will try its best to find anything underneath its coil even if your settings are not "spot on" as long as your somewhere in the right vicinity with your settings.
Just chill with it and take your time with it. You don`t get a Brucie Bonus(some won`t understand that saying 😁 ) for rushing it along.
I see a few people when settings are given out will be ardently shouting, " no that's not right do it my way", and then reel off their settings as if only their settings are workable and hence chiselled in stone tablets.
We ALL were new at the beginning with it, but we all "muddle "through it and If you can be like the spider and try,& try again with it, things will, with practice, fall into line and you will think "what was I worried about". Just persevere and try and have fun using it. ::g

Detectiff

Post by Detectiff »

Bors wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:38 pm
I really think its a great detector. I myself wouldn`t say its a Deep seeker but maybe I never had the opportunity to go over anything amazingly deep to think otherwise. But I can say it's certainly a game-changer to others out there .
The only thing I would stress is don`t think you must get everything spot on with it, to begin with as who can ,hand on heart tell you what spot on is? FIND that man !!
It's a very forgiving detector and will try its best to find anything underneath its coil even if your settings are not "spot on" as long as your somewhere in the right vicinity with your settings.
Just chill with it and take your time with it. You don`t get a Brucie Bonus(some won`t understand that saying 😁 ) for rushing it along.
I see a few people when settings are given out will be ardently shouting, " no that's not right do it my way", and then reel off their settings as if only their settings are workable and hence chiselled in stone tablets.
We ALL were new at the beginning with it, but we all "muddle "through it and If you can be like the spider and try,& try again with it, things will, with practice, fall into line and you will think "what was I worried about". Just persevere and try and have fun using it. ::g
Hi Bors thanks again to tell you the truth I was thinking along those lines take my time slowly catchy monkey ::g
Unfortunately I went to the farm I have permission on today and it was a quagmire, so I just had a drive round a couple of others trying to get permission but no joy today but gained some good information.
It was a pity as 1 of them near me on a old Roman road she said no as last year some wally did not fill a hole back in and 1 of her horses dislocated its shoulder. But I will be back out again tomorrow and try again.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Best of Luck my friend , you`ll forgive me if I don`t join you. This time of the year I wait till it has stopped raining for a few days before detecting. My Chest dictates when I detect these days because damp air is my Nemesis, there is no getting around it :D

I wouldn`t hold your breath on "Roman roads" running near the property. I Suppose the Area you are in could make a difference,but in my neck of the woods Roman roads running in or near property have not meant much insofar as Roman finds are concerned. Actually I think they used Credit cards because they never dropped any money. >:P

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”