New equinox owner looking for advice

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Santaclaus

New equinox owner looking for advice

Post by Santaclaus »

Hi everyone, I am relatively new to metal detecting and I am looking for some advice.
I started off on the beach with my c scope 4pi which has been good fun finding old coins and the like but I now have permission on some fields and have bought an equinox 800.
I have been out 4 times on the field with it an I am struggling a bit. What I am finding is that i am getting lots of signals but I can’t work out when I should ignore them and when I should dig. I have read up a lot and understand when I am getting a good two way signal and when turning side on and getting the same then this is a good thing. I also know that sometimes the not so obvious signals can also be worth digging.
Can anyone recommend some YouTube tutorials that I could watch that explains all this to the complete beginner, one where you can hear all the tones good and bad with an explanation on why they should be dug or not.
Sorry for the big long post I am not the best at putting my thoughts into words.
All the best and thanks in advance
Paul

haggz

Re: New equinox owner looking for advice

Post by haggz »

hi Paul and welcome to the forum. your not alone on the nox problems. I've owned one for a while and its only in the last few months I've come to grips with it. I nearly gave up on mine but persistence does pay off. I took advice from a mate (deus owner) and forgot about the display and just listened for the sounds. I only use 5 tones. forget air tests as the I.D's are different than items in the ground. practice lots and lots and it will come. iron is a major problem but check the minelab section. happy hunting

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Youtube Gordon heritage equinox.. I’m sure he’ll turn up on the list, only a few videos but very good ::g
4x4 programme etc...

Bors

Post by Bors »

Although from the USA this could help you a bit. Its just to give you an "Idea".

PS . at the start of the Video.

IF you take note at the very start of the video ,the way NOT TO Detect on the beach is demonstrated (by accident) by the first and third detectorists scurrying across the beach WAY WAY TOO FAST.
Beach work needs to be done slowly and methodically if you want to detect the DEEP coins and rings . The speed they're going you`d be lucky to detect a coke can. ::g
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

Have you down-loaded the Manual ? Easy to do. There’s a link in the Metal Detectors, Minelab, Equinox section. l;/

You’ll also find most initial problems have been addressed in previous posts.

My advice ? Read the manual then read it in sections of most interest. Have the machine in from of you to try things out. But most importantly, keep it simple. Field 1 is the kindest of programs and doesn’t pick up magnetised rocks. Iron bias is your friend but only on one (1) 5 Tones to start, get used to them. High is good low is bad.
If you get a signal you're not sure of press the Horse Shoe button and scan again. It’ll tell you for sure if it’s iron, though some old degraded iron will try to tell you it’s gold and has to be dug (you’ll get used to it ::g

Sorry if I’ve stated the obvious but really it’s a very user friendly machine. I’m female and 74. If I can get grips with it, I’m sure you will :D

fred

Post by fred »

If you have the Tone 1 tone and volume set right (both at 1) and use All Metal the majority of iron becomes a low grunt which you can mostly safely ignore. After that it is just practice followed, after a while, by some twiddling until you find a setup that you like. Don't rely on any programmes (even mine :D ) without trying to understand what the settings are doing. ::g

viewtopic.php?f=291&t=109043

PS If you put in your county in your details you might even get offers of help.
Equinox 800 x2

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Hello Paul, Many have suggested that making a 'test bed' in an area that's been checked and free of signals, is one way of getting used to a detector s audio signals. Perhaps a test bed will provide you with a better solution to repeatedly watching video's. It seems a reasonable way in which to recognise the differing audio responses of the buried targets.

Probably not easy but worth 'having a go'. It's been said many times, that 'practice makes perfect'

Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

geoff

Post by geoff »

Where are you Paul, I would be happy to give you a few tips to get you up and running if you are near Essex.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

Santaclaus

Post by Santaclaus »

Hi and thank you very much for all the help so far. I never expected such a response, I am very grateful. I have downloaded the manual and I do have a grasp of a lot of it. I have been using field 1 program with 5 tones. I am ok with that and I am sure I know now when I have a decent signal but I am really having bother deciphering the other signals.
The machine seems to beep at least 3 times with every swing. Maybe this is normal? But I just have the feeling so far that I am not quite getting it right.

Santaclaus

Post by Santaclaus »

Thank you Geoff that is a kind offer and I feel I would really benefit from help like that. Unfortunately I am up in Scotland.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

Santaclaus wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:53 pm
Hi and thank you very much for all the help so far. I never expected such a response, I am very grateful. I have downloaded the manual and I do have a grasp of a lot of it. I have been using field 1 program with 5 tones. I am ok with that and I am sure I know now when I have a decent signal but I am really having bother deciphering the other signals.
The machine seems to beep at least 3 times with every swing. Maybe this is normal? But I just have the feeling so far that I am not quite getting it right.

I assume you will have Noised Cancelled or Ground Balanced or both. Could be you’ve got heavily mineralised ground, a pain in the neck ! Try Noise cancel every now and then. Also have you got the sensitivity set too high. That can cause ‘false signals’. Are there any electric over-head wires, another annoyance, same cure, reduce sensitivity. I’d suggest 18 (or equivalent on the 800) if the settings are different.

Trail & error, been there, done that :D

geoff

Post by geoff »

Another tip, keep swing speed down to about 2 or 2 and half seconds each way.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

I’m also new, but it reads like it’s just sensitivity is too high for the ground your detecting on.
Once you’ve noise cancelled and ground balanced, set sensitivity to 18... then raise it 1 at a time until it starts chattering then back off 1 .
I can’t go higher than 22 on most sites

It could also be how you’ve set your 5 tones, volumes and breaks ,
Make sure you’ve set the -9 upto 0 iron Discrim range at tone 1 volume 1

Best bet is to post your settings on here and let the more knowledgable experienced users point you in the right direction ::g

Santaclaus

Post by Santaclaus »

Thank you guys I will be putting all that into practice the next time I go out. I think there may well be minerals in the ground that are causing me hassle, the first field I ever tried was right next to a shale bing and there was loads in the field that the detector did not seem to like. My latest field is not so bad but I have still found some.
I live in an old mining village so the stuff is probably rife throughout the area.

erm1969

Post by erm1969 »

Hi, I think backing off the sensitivity is a good starting point, but it may also be worth trying beach mode ( the manual recommends this for heavily mineralised ground). I live near an old iron furnace and most of the fields are full of slag and coke. In Field 2 I have to run with sensitivity at 16 (still found an Eddy penny at 4 inches), but in Beach 2 I can run sensitivity at 22 (and have been finding tiny hammy fragments).
Whereabouts in Scotland are you?
All the best, Ewan

LuckyB

Post by LuckyB »

Hi Paul
I’ve had the 800 about a year and it was first machine, so I’m in a similar position to yourself just a few months ahead! I don’t claim to be an expert but I feel I’ve got to grips with the basics so perhaps the following can help.

Have a good read of Fred’s link, it really does contain a lot of very good advice laid out in an understandable way.

I use mine on both the beach and fields, I generally only use Field 1 and Beach 1, so it made sense to me to set both programmes up with 50 tones, some people warn against the 50 tones as they say its too confusing but I find it helps interpret possible signals and avoids those annoying (to me) tone breaks with signals that straddle a break. In my opinion if you are new to detecting, you might as well start with 50 tones, as in the long term it’s the way to go and you will probably have to switch later.

I also generally search in all metal, as the info it gives you about possible iron targets really helps me decide whether to dig or not. Do as Fred says and turn the pitch and volume down for Tone 1, this gives you the low background iron grunt that people talk about. If a signal gives a mix of negative numbers and positive numbers it is probably because it is big iron or iron with a hole in it or two targets close to each other (one iron one not) or a target made of both iron and non ferrous.

I don’t discriminate or notch out anything out, I would rather learn a signal and manually ignore it.

I don’t use a threshold, silent means there is nothing there! I suspect thresholds are a bit of a hangover from older machines and in my opinion, I wouldn’t bother for a newbie.

Dig anything that gives you a repeatable two way signal above 1, (turning 90degrees can help you decide but if you hear a good signal from one direction there is something definitely there!) you will soon get a feel for what typical numbers represent. There will always be blips and crackles which can’t be repeated consistently despite repeated swings, you will soon learn to ignore these or turn your sensitivity down! Also, it’s true that the more hours you put in the more you come to recognise a “good” signal. I certainly was a bit put off at the start with the number of signals and the shear amount of iron that seems to be in fields.

Don’t waste too much time deciding whether to dig, my advice is dig it and learn from it!

When you find your target give it a wave over the coil at various hights and speeds, check the number, try and remember the sound. It’s a good way to reinforce the learning.

I don’t have a test garden or even a quiet piece of grass to practise on, so what I did was stick a couple of pieces of wood in the ground about 1/2m high, 10cm apart then got a selection of possible targets and played around with them. Start with single targets on one piece, then introduce a second target (include some iron targets flat washers, rusty nails etc) on the other, play with your swing speed and distance from coil to the target and try and learn what the signals sound like while visualising the various scenarios. Once you feel you are getting to grips with it, you can start playing around with the recovery speed and iron bias. I started with the recovery speed set at 3 and the iron bias at 3. In the field if it’s quiet I decrease the recovery speed if its noisy I increase it (if I remember).

Remember items close to the coil will give a double signal! This can be the cause of some multiple signals.

I’m in the central belt and generally around midweek, happy to meet up, it certainly wouldn’t be a master class but might help a bit, give me a PM.

Santaclaus

Post by Santaclaus »

Guys this is great. I now think that maybe I have been watching too many YouTube videos that are giving me a false idea of the machine. I now have a clearer idea of what I should be setting my machine up like on the next hunt. I have a full week off from Christmas Day and will get out at least 3 times during this period.
I will update my progress as I go.

Santaclaus

Post by Santaclaus »

I forgot to add, I am in Broxburn in West Lothian for anyone who wants to know.
Cheers
Paul

fred

Post by fred »

Best of luck Paul. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Santa, If it has not been said yet use the machine in the factory preset mode to start with, this will give you a baseline, I'd say 90% of the machines performance is available in the preset modes, once you have an idea about what you like and do not like then start altering the settings.

VERY easy to confuse yourself by changing settings you do not fully understand!

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

u;@ What TP said. u;@

Don't fiddle too much. A lot of newbies make this mistake...they alter this and that and end up confusing themselves. Stick it in field 1. There are a few tweaks that help with iron recognition etc but they are just tweaks. Once its set up for your conditions don't alter anything! Just get used to it and learn to understand what it is saying in that set-up. (If you change something in the settings then the machine WILL react differently to signals and you will get confused,)
Then go and dig.....a lot of newbies are dig-averse. Don't be. I happily dig lots of iffy signals.

The fact a machine has lots of options and settings to change doesn't mean they are going to be of use to you. In most cases advanced/bespoke settings are not much of an advantage over the preset ones...unless you are an advanced user yourself and your conditions are identical.
Just remember to swing slowly and steadily, listen very carefully and be prepared to backtrack and have another sweep. Concentrate at all times and remember that the deeper a signal is the less accurate the signal will be. So, unless you want to miss deep goodies, dig anything whatsoever you have the slightest suspicion of.
The nox is a very user-friendly easy little machine. Great fun, Don't over-complicate it! ::g
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Good ,sound advice, from Littleboot which can apply to most detectors besides the Equinox.
ie.... don`t overthink it ,just detect and dig. Ok, at first you`ll dig some undesirable things ,but it's by digging those undesirable items you`ll learn.Don`t think digging rubbish has no value when your learning because it does have value, it teaches you things.
Just try to remember the sound you heard before digging and reflect on whether it was Sharp, fuzzy, loud, soft, or the signals value if you have a display was "bouncing around at all or was it a Solid lock on signal value . All those things tell you before you dig, information to base your decision whether to dig or not to dig on . . ::g
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Santaclaus

Post by Santaclaus »

Hi everyone , I just thought I would post an update on my progress. I was back in the field today and have taken a few things on board that I was advised on here and I think I am getting somewhere. The main thing I did was drop the sensitivity down. I am now running on field1 with the sensitivity down at 17. I am not getting 3 or 4 blips on every sweep now and have in my possession a Victoria penny and a nice button with an eagle on and some writing around it that I have not been able to make out just yet. It is a start .

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Your button may be RAF - the motto: 'per ardua ad astra'? Good Luck ::g
Happy New year - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

Santaclaus wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:54 pm
Hi everyone , I just thought I would post an update on my progress. I was back in the field today and have taken a few things on board that I was advised on here and I think I am getting somewhere. The main thing I did was drop the sensitivity down. I am now running on field1 with the sensitivity down at 17. I am not getting 3 or 4 blips on every sweep now and have in my possession a Victoria penny and a nice button with an eagle on and some writing around it that I have not been able to make out just yet. It is a start .

Good to hear. 17 is a bit low but take it as it comes. Might be different in another field. You know what they say, ‘Little steps’.
Silver next time :D

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

17 is low , what iron bios and recovery are you using ?

fred

Post by fred »

Ladybird66 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:49 am
Santaclaus wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:54 pm

Good to hear. 17 is a bit low but take it as it comes. Might be different in another field. You know what they say, ‘Little steps’.
Silver next time :D

Great. ::g Try putting the sensitivity up one step at a time and swing slower each time to stabilise it.
Equinox 800 x2

geoff

Post by geoff »

Nice slow swing speed 2 or 2.5 seconds each way, trying to pretend the coil is a hovercraft.
Try getting the sensitivity up at 19 or above when you are confident, that will give you some depth.
You will inevitably get a few false blips here and there, especially if you swing too fast.
You want good repeatable two way signals, that continue if you aproach from another direction.
It is good to dig some dodgy signals, just to learn what the machine is saying, some very good finds can come up too.
Noise candel every now and then.
What iron bias and recovery speed settings are you using?

Santaclaus

Post by Santaclaus »

I am iron bias 2 and recovery speed 5. I am back in the field tomorrow, I am definitely a bit more confident with it now.

Ferret man

Post by Ferret man »

I got my Nox a few months ago and was struggling with it a bit and just kept finding iron tried a few different things and not being one to give in came on here and got given some great advice, tips and reassurance from Blackadder and it made a huge difference knowing that i was on the right track and before i knew it was getting some nice finds and i can't thank him enough as was getting confused as everyone uses different settings etc. Have stuck to his advice and am happy with how i am getting on.

Hopefully in a few years time i will be able to pass my knowledge on etc and help.someone out. I would recommend just listening to the one persons advice that works for you as everyone has thieir own way of doing things and it can get confusing.

Good luck with your detecting!

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”