Equinox 800 deep seeking help!?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Southdevondetect

Equinox 800 deep seeking help!?

Post by Southdevondetect » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:12 am

Looking for some advice please, I’ve stumbled across a nice little hot spot of roman coins!
I’ve had a really good go over and started digging even the scratchy signals and signals have started to dry up abit so looking for advice on what settings for the equinox 800 for maximum depth to maybe start picking a deeper level of coins!!
Any help would be great!?

geoff

Re: Equinox 800 deep seeking help!?

Post by geoff » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 am

Dig all iron out, maybe try prospecting mode,or go all metal,recovery1,iron bias 1,and dig all signals.
Try not to disturb any history, or go below the plow line.
If they are very localised, suspect a hoard and report as such, we dont want to intrude on any context within the ground.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800.

Southdevondetect

Post by Southdevondetect » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:18 pm

geoff wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 am
Dig all iron out, maybe try prospecting mode,or go all metal,recovery1,iron bias 1,and dig all signals.
Try not to disturb any history, or go below the plow line.
If they are very localised, suspect a hoard and report as such, we dont want to intrude on any context within the ground.
Cheers Geoff, yeh the machines relatively new so still getting to grips with it, but I was thinking drop the recovery right down. Didn’t know if running it on frequency 5 aswell would help!? Yeh absolutely, I’m in contact with the flo and Goin to see her soon to report it all but just wanted to get as much out in the ploughed layer as I can! I would say it’s all within a 30m square grid! Not sure it’s a hoard though as a variety of coins and a good few are toasted! But who knows!
Cheers

dondo

Post by dondo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 pm

It maybe you've dug nearly everything and there's nothing any deeper, but nothing wrong with trying, i'm of the opinion dig as deep as you can get because the vast majority of things lost or hidden in the ground are rotting and the sooner they're rescued the better.

Southdevondetect

Post by Southdevondetect » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:24 pm

dondo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 pm
It maybe you've dug nearly everything and there's nothing any deeper, but nothing wrong with trying, i'm of the opinion dig as deep as you can get because the vast majority of things lost or hidden in the ground are rotting and the sooner they're rescued the better.
Yeh quite possibly might be the lot!! l;/ although I’m just really hoping there might be more, would love some roman artefacts and also not had a roman silver so that is right up there in wish list haha!
I right down in south Devon so not really the hub of the Roman Empire so the fact that I’m finding anything roman is incredible!!
Cheers

fred

Post by fred » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:36 pm

You don't really give enough details of your current setup or what the targets are for me to know where to start? :D

However, in your described situation I (with quite a lot of experience) would detect in All Metal with the Sensitivity as high as you can get it, but at least 22 or 23. You don't have to use 50 Tones but i would as it seems to give a nicer tome for listening out for faint signals. Put Iron Bias on 0, Recovery Speed on 3 and make sure that the Tone 1 tone and volume are both set on 1. You will then have to decide on what to dig based solely on the sound and, to a more limited extent, on the numbers rather than automatically knocking small iron out through any Iron Bias jiggery pokery.

Vary your swing speed and angle of approach, overlap your swings by 50% and listen out for faint repeatable whispers as well as the unmissable 'Nox your head off' specials. if you get any faintly repeatable signals double check them to see if any of the single frequencies give you a better signal. If they do and the target turns out to be what you are after then try detecting with that frequency as well a multifrequency. If you get iffy signals dig them anyway as using All Metal will cause some signals in the last couple of inches of extra depth that All Metal gives to gradually get worse as you are effectively working beyond the reliable limits of the sound and numerical ID software.

Extend your area of search because although Roman sites are sometimes fairly tightly constrained there may be a path leading to it which has decent targets on it.

If you are not sure what it all means then you may need to revisit the site once you have a bit more experience or experiment. There are probably other things that you could do too but that lot will have to do for a start as I have a ceiling to paint.

Best of luck. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Curley

Post by Curley » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:21 pm

15" head???

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”