Equinox on old pasture

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Dav

Equinox on old pasture

Post by Dav » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:30 pm

Evening .
If you had the opportunity to search some ridge n furrow and abit arable grass land that both have a roman road running across them would you prefer to use a ctx or equinox .
I’m in abit of quandree I’ve never used the nox on pasture, and not knowing how long il have this permission for I was just thinking of how to maximise my chances of finding something roman .....that’s if there’s anything there and if there is , hope it’s not 10 foot deep ... :D
Just wondering what people’s thoughts are .
Cheers

Ten pence!

Re: Equinox on old pasture

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 pm

You do not need special settings for pasture, if you have settled on something and are happy with it carry on!
That said I do not use my Equinox on pasture as I find the pin pointing vague on some targets, I do not want to dig out a nice neat eight inch plug only to find the target is still in the sidewall, I use my GMP on pasture. Sorry, went into a mini rant there! :))

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:29 pm

Ten pence! wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 pm
You do not need special settings for pasture, if you have settled on something and are happy with it carry on!
That said I do not use my Equinox on pasture as I find the pin pointing vague on some targets, I do not want to dig out a nice neat eight inch plug only to find the target is still in the sidewall, I use my GMP on pasture. Sorry, went into a mini rant there! :))
Hi Dav,
Interesting point tenpence makes,I have had a good handfull like that with the equinox.
Got to say though old pasture and rougher paddock is 90% of my detecting land
And the 600 is proving to be really good ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

fred

Post by fred » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:52 am

I think that overall the CTX will probably go a little deeper than the Nox. The problem with the CTX, other than the weight, is that the settings have to be exactly right and the very deep signals are not that easy to interpret. You can miss some fairly obvious targets unless you go very slowly and carefully indeed. In my opinion the raw power of the CTX is best utilised on beaches but it still isn't that much better than the Nox and I still certainly wouldn't go back to one.

With a Nox almost every target within range will be unmissable, although you still have to decide if you want to dig them because the target ID isn't up to much. With the right settings and experience some targets can be identified with reasonable certainty but I still tend to dig most positive signals. I really don't have any problem pinpointing with the Nox either although I will concede that it took a lot of practice to get absolutely spot on. :D

In summary my advice would be that if time is short cover the ground with the Nox to get the majority of the targets. If there was any time left after the targets ran out try the the CTX to see if you can hit anything else. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:41 am

CTX or NOX?

To be honest in my opinion, I dont think it will make a blind bit of difference, I think the issue you may have will be the ridge and furrow itself. I have always found that ridge and furrow is the most disappointing of all land to detect on, and produces very little of interest, except maybe the flat areas at either end of the furrow run, these areas can sometimes produce something.

Anyway, that is my thoughts on the subject, all I can say is good luck, and I hope your field is a nice busy one ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:52 am

Dav wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:30 pm
Evening .
If you had the opportunity to search some ridge n furrow and abit arable grass land that both have a roman road running across them would you prefer to use a ctx or equinox .
I’m in abit of quandree I’ve never used the nox on pasture, and not knowing how long il have this permission for I was just thinking of how to maximise my chances of finding something roman .....that’s if there’s anything there and if there is , hope it’s not 10 foot deep ... :D
Cheers

If you have them both, then I'd use both. Equinox first, and then a slow and thorough going over with the CTX and 17" coil, if you find that you have the permission long term ::g

I have to say though, whilst the CTX is a deep machine, the Equinox isn't far behind it, and may even be deeper on some very small targets. The two together make a great pasture combo though ::g

fred

Post by fred » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:52 am
Dav wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:30 pm
Evening .
Cheers

If you have them both, then I'd use both. Equinox first, and then a slow and thorough going over with the CTX and 17" coil, if you find that you have the permission long term ::g

I have to say though, whilst the CTX is a deep machine, the Equinox isn't far behind it, and may even be deeper on some very small targets. The two together make a great pasture combo though ::g
I really haven't wrapped my head properly around why the two machines behave differently. I suspect that it is to do with the improved Recovery Speed of the Nox combined with the way that the target ID software is configured to give the same sound all the way down to a cutoff point. Signals then just disappear unless you are using All Metal in which case they get 'iffy' for a couple of extra inches. As you go deeper CTX signals gradually fade away, shrink in size and the tone slowly changes until it almost sounds like iron. :D

I also agree with bargeman about the productivity of ridge and furrow. I think that the trouble is It that it looks like it has pretty spectacular potential but in reality most of it is just ordinary agricultural land. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:41 am
I have always found that ridge and furrow is the most disappointing of all land to detect on
I'd second that! Often disappoints... full of promise, then nothing x;

I have found the flat bits around the ridge and furrow hold more goodies than the lumpy bits ::g

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm

I haven't used a ctx, but I do detect on 'old pasture' on a few of my fields. One of those fields has been pasture as far back as I can trace (I know the family well). The Nox has certainly produced finds that I have been over many times previously. Depth isn't everything. The technology of the Nox has sniffed out tiny pieces (grots mainly) that I'd missed and I can't see why ridge and furrow would be any different.
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:37 pm

A great deal of ridge and furrow survives because it hasn't been ploughed since at least 15th century so there is every chance that finds have sunk down to great depths. This is certainly one reason why ridge and furrow is notoriously poor in old finds.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:43 pm

That is how I read the situation too ::g

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Must admit I’ve NEVER had hammered on ridge n furrow, tend to be very quiet

PeakDetectorist

Post by PeakDetectorist » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:20 pm

I understand the criticism of ridge and furrow because I have been on some which has failed to produce anything old or exciting. However, I have also had some superb finds including hammered gold on ridge and furrow so I guess it all comes down to location.
XP Deus with various coils

fred

Post by fred » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:32 pm

PeakDetectorist wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:20 pm
I understand the criticism of ridge and furrow because I have been on some which has failed to produce anything old or exciting. However, I have also had some superb finds including hammered gold on ridge and furrow so I guess it all comes down to location.

It was not really criticism, just the observation that ridge and furrow looks spectacular but in reality it is just agricultural land. As such it tends to have the normal agricultural random scatter of finds. This obviously includes some good stuff but not usually in huge quantities. :D

Given that most ridge and furrow was intensively ploughed and cultivated by hand for centuries to develop it's shape you could perhaps argue that older stuff is more likely to have been discovered by Medieval peasants?
Last edited by fred on Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Equinox 800 x2

Dav

Post by Dav » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Thanks for the advice on this ,I still haven’t had chance to make it onto said land yet but will be trying very soon . I do have other ridge and furrow permissions which I enjoy detecting infact one of my first permissions was ridge and furrow so think I have abit of a soft spot for the stuff :D ,I’ve had some superb condition hammerds so I try not to worry about everything being to deep, I just keep saying to meself quality not quantity :)) :)) I’m sure more would be brought up if they were ever to be deep ploughed , Roman though could be a very different matter .
Cheers

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:19 am

PeakDetectorist wrote:
Yes, location is the key I guess.
If you want coke for a fire, come up my way :D

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:39 am

fred wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:32 pm
PeakDetectorist wrote:

It was not really criticism, just the observation that ridge and furrow looks spectacular but in reality it is just agricultural land. As such it tends to have the normal agricultural random scatter of finds. This obviously includes some good stuff but not usually in huge quantities. :D

Given that most ridge and furrow was intensively ploughed and cultivated by hand for centuries to develop it's shape you could perhaps argue that older stuff is more likely to have been discovered by Medieval peasants?
Probably morehoards found by a ploughing team back in the day than metal detecting!
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”