To FE2 or not to FE2

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Bradrick

To FE2 or not to FE2

Post by Bradrick » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:18 pm

I know there are already a few threads on the subject (with some excellent technical explanations), but given that a few of my 'Noxie friends' and I have held off updating until the update had been tested in the field by the brave pioneers, I was wondering if anyone had drawn any conclusions yet? Any benefits (UK), deficits, unwanted side-effects?

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Blackadder43
Admin

Re: To FE2 or not to FE2

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:24 pm

I think in the UK its going to be situational
I dont hunt the beach, so have no real use for the FE2 and its discrimination of bottle caps
But
Curiosity got the better of me so i did the update
I havent noticed anything else except the new FE2 setting
This setting is only active if you toggle it on and its on the screen

What i have been doing is on as many signals as i can remember i have been switching between my normal FE 0 to the default setting on FE2 which is 6
I have yet to find a significant difference in any of the signals to warrant further investigation

I have not yet found any bottle caps either, so cant see if it discriminated them or not...

Thats the best i can offer
Its nice to have it there, but i have not found anything concrete yet that it helps me and my fields

i do however have 1 experiment for FE2 to perform when i can get back the that particular farm
Will keep you informed how that goes. ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Many thanks Bruce. I don't really 'do' beaches and my bottle cap tally is minimal. I haven't seen any unwanted issues on here (or other inferior forums) thus far, so I think I will bite the bullet.

Looking forward to reading the result of your other experiment... and I now officially forgive you for shooting speckled Jim. :D
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

fred

Post by fred » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Likewise, I have it on the Nox and everything still seems to be workng as it always did. At least I can now find it OK too. I was on the beach yesterday evening but even the customary bottle caps were absent so I was unable to give it a tryout. ::g

I suggest that you have nothing to lose by having FE2 on the machine and then you can play with it when you feel the urge.
Last edited by fred on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:05 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:03 pm
Likewise. I have it on the Nox and can now find it OK. I was on the beach yesterday evening but even the customary bottle caps were absent so unable to give it a try. ::g
Cheers Fred! ::g
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:43 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:48 pm
and I now officially forgive you for shooting speckled Jim. :D
Why thank you General Melchett :D

Good luck with the update ::g

geoff

Post by geoff » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:12 pm

I found a bottle cap today, tried fe2 setting six and it did break up the signal, but I want to run it over some good targets before I consider using it.
Having said that, I do not think I will be running it inland, unless I find a patch infested with them which I still want to search, as they are few and far between round my permissions.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Funny thing, I updated my Nox on Saturday, I watched a lot of the Tube, and read all the advice given here too, and decided I would give it a try.
So with that in mind, I today went out in the mud to try using the new FE2 setting as standard, running at (2) Freds program, Sensitivity at 23, all metal, and reaction at 5.

The field had quite a lot of iron, but I honestly never dug any, and also never thought I was missing anything either, and I was still digging some very small targets. My main concern was the depth, I had seen a couple of vids where they said the depth had suffered, but I never felt this was an actual issue. Is it any better than the standard FE settings, I really can't tell, is it worth the upgrade, again, I can't say it is or isn't, I see no harm by having it on the machine, but I really see no reason to have it at all, unless you do festival fields, or the beach when coin shooting.

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 pm
Funny thing, I updated my Nox on Saturday, I watched a lot of the Tube, and read all the advice given here too, and decided I would give it a try.
So with that in mind, I today went out in the mud to try using the new FE2 setting as standard, running at (2) Freds program, Sensitivity at 23, all metal, and reaction at 5.

The field had quite a lot of iron, but I honestly never dug any, and also never thought I was missing anything either, and I was still digging some very small targets. My main concern was the depth, I had seen a couple of vids where they said the depth had suffered, but I never felt this was an actual issue. Is it any better than the standard FE settings, I really can't tell, is it worth the upgrade, again, I can't say it is or isn't, I see no harm by having it on the machine, but I really see no reason to have it at all, unless you do festival fields, or the beach when coin shooting.

BM [:)
Thanks BM... useful. ::g I'll still give it a go.
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

JeffW663

Post by JeffW663 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Yes I updated my nox 800 and would agree, last Sunday went for a club dig and whilst I did not find anything 'good' (mullered early George 1/2d, old £1 etc) the only iron I found was a 6" x 3" x 1/4" bit of farm machinery.
So I am very happy to use it ( Fred's settings on field 1).
I do tend to start with all metal off but then switch it on when I hear a target.

Jeff

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:28 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:24 pm
What i have been doing is on as many signals as i can remember i have been switching between my normal FE 0 to the default setting on FE2 which is 6
I have yet to find a significant difference in any of the signals to warrant further investigation

Does FE2 at 6 operate any differently to upping FE to 6?

I'm sure I read somewhere that FE2 at 0 is more open on all metal (a bit like the Deus discrimination going from 0 on V3.2 to -6.4 on V4 onwards), but I may be wrong :-/

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:33 pm

I'm not actually sure on that, but something i need to look into ::g
If i'm honest the last few times i have been out i have not touched the FE2, not even toggled it on
I run FE at 0 and am happy with that for the minute...

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:49 pm

I'm new to the Nox having just recently bought the 600 so I kind of have the advantage of not having got too attached to the previous standard FE settings. I've been reading topics regarding the new update and have seen that a lot of people are hesitant to try the new settings as they are comfortable with the old ones and worry it might effect their find rates.

I've only been out to the beach a few times since getting the 600 but I've done various tests in the garden and air tests etc- I know people say air tests don't mean anything but when comparing one setting with another they can be useful to give you an idea how it could effect masking/ recovery speed etc etc. My tests aren't conclusive by any means as haven't been playing with them long enough yet but what I think so far is that the new FE2 settings appear to provide some advantage over the standard FE settings. I found no difference or hardly any difference in recovery speed between the new FE2 (2) and the original FE on setting 2 and so far I think the new FE2 on 2 to be as quick as the original FE on setting 0 but with the added bonus that the new FE2 does appear to identify iron a little better!- and it certainly does give you more of an idea if the target is a bottle cap!- which is handy for me as I'm only detecting the beach at the moment!.

I found in air tests that the new FE2 on setting 2 (bare in mind guys that I'm talking about the Nox 600 so settings are different for the 800!) might not be quite high enough to identify bottle caps easily (depending which way up they are!) but when changing to setting 3 it does get rid of them- however when in the object is in the sand I found that on setting 2 I didn't dig any bottle caps!- so it appears that in the ground you can use a lower setting of iron bias then in the air to eliminate bottle caps. On one session on the beach I had forgot that I had left the Nox on the new FE2 setting of 2 from the previous session and was pleasantly surprised that after about an hour I hadn't dug any bottle caps (theres loads on the beach I detect!). I then decided to switch back to the old FE setting of 2 and after a few swings I got the next signal that sounded good (I think about 15 on the ID scale), I dug it out and yep....it was a bottle cap!- obviously this could have been coincidence and of course it was that I'd just happened to walk over a bottlecap after changing the setting back to the original FE setting but there fact is the detector did pick the bottle cap up straight away after changing the settings back and I'm sure I must have walked over numerous bottle caps in the previous hour. I did some quick tests with the bottle caps I found on the beach and they did confirm that using the new FE2 on 2 will help to identify bottle caps. A setting of 3 on the Nox 600 helps to identify them a bit more but my tests show that maybe the setting of 3 can start to effect the recovery speed a little more than I would like. It's horses for course and dependant on what site you search but as a standard go to setting I think (at the moment) I would start with the new FE2 on 2 as you're not losing anything against using the old FE setting even at FE 0 and you're gaining a bit of better iron identification and certainly gaining better bottle cap rejection!- that's my conclusions so far, but I'll have to do further tests etc.

Anyway, the main thing is that doing the new update doesn't alter anything else on the machine as it's just another setting added to the menu function- so for that reason alone it's a no brainer to add and if you don't go too high with the settings you're not going to miss out on any targets you would get on the old FE settings, and you might find yourself digging a little less iron, and most definitely identifying bottle caps better.

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Open invitation-if anybody is reasonably local to and fancies a couple of hours on Epsom Downs - many acres around the racecourse (yes I do have a licence, + 1 guest) a 'festival' site as BM might describe it. I can guarantee from personal experience that 90% of 'coin' signals here are probably bottle tops....I'd be interested to see how the NOX FE2 settings might perform in these circumstances. I don't use a Nox but have now just about trained my ears with the Deus. It's a generally useless location for detecting (mostly pre / post decimal coins, occasional Victorian and earlier silver and some interesting badges (and, post-Derby Day cheap worthless bling)), but it can't be beaten as a practice ground to get to know and interpret your machine's audio and visual signals.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

dirtdigger

Post by dirtdigger » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:20 am

Just to clear any confusion, the new update contains a new setting called F2 not FE2. FE2 is an Iron Bias on a setting of 2.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:30 am

dirtdigger wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:20 am
Just to clear any confusion, the new update contains a new setting called F2 not FE2. FE2 is an Iron Bias on a setting of 2.
True DD. I think people use the term FE2 to avoid confusion with the shorthand for Field 1 and 2 usually used (F1 and F2). ::g
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:33 am

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:54 pm
Open invitation-if anybody is reasonably local to and fancies a couple of hours on Epsom Downs - many acres around the racecourse (yes I do have a licence, + 1 guest) a 'festival' site as BM might describe it. I can guarantee from personal experience that 90% of 'coin' signals here are probably bottle tops....I'd be interested to see how the NOX FE2 settings might perform in these circumstances. I don't use a Nox but have now just about trained my ears with the Deus. It's a generally useless location for detecting (mostly pre / post decimal coins, occasional Victorian and earlier silver and some interesting badges (and, post-Derby Day cheap worthless bling)), but it can't be beaten as a practice ground to get to know and interpret your machine's audio and visual signals.

Phil
That is a great offer Phil and one i hope somebody takes you up on
::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”