Equinox likes lead

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Post Reply
rex123
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Been thanked: 10 times

Equinox likes lead

Post by rex123 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Struggled today, ground like concrete so no depth, Nox loves lead for some reason, 3rd session out, last session was 24 finds 18 of which were lead, and for the eagle eyed amongst you, yes that's a hammered penny, Edward York mint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rex123 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
fred
Posts: 10194
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2264 times
Been thanked: 5936 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by fred » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Fortunately it also especially likes silver too and, for that matter, any other non ferrous metal you pass the coil over. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
littleboot
Posts: 3181
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Normandy (the cider and cheese area)
Has thanked: 1131 times
Been thanked: 2005 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by littleboot » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:31 pm

I woul worry if my machine didn't like lead. It would miss some great lead finds and it would miss some gold ones as well. :D :D Part and parcel of detecting. Best machine I have ever had, the Nox, by some margin.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10194
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2264 times
Been thanked: 5936 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by fred » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:04 pm

littleboot wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:31 pm
I woul worry if my machine didn't like lead. It would miss some great lead finds and it would miss some gold ones as well. :D :D Part and parcel of detecting. Best machine I have ever had, the Nox, by some margin.

I do declare, you seem to be getting quite enthusiastic about it! nothing to do with all the silver and gold coins I suppose! :D
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
littleboot
Posts: 3181
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Normandy (the cider and cheese area)
Has thanked: 1131 times
Been thanked: 2005 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by littleboot » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:39 pm

fred wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:04 pm
littleboot wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:31 pm
I woul worry if my machine didn't like lead. It would miss some great lead finds and it would miss some gold ones as well. :D :D Part and parcel of detecting. Best machine I have ever had, the Nox, by some margin.

I do declare, you seem to be getting quite enthusiastic about it! nothing to do with all the silver and gold coins I suppose! :D
:)) Well I must admit it does feed the love. :D
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6365
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6975 times
Been thanked: 3540 times
Contact:

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by Lowland » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 pm

Well done for sinking holes into hard ground ::g
That’s A great selection of different shapes and styles of lead no less.
All part of the history of the site ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

slowsweep
Posts: 2273
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 am
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by slowsweep » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:13 am

every make and model love lead, its not just a"Nox" thing ;)
lots of MD related stuff ;))

User avatar
Mancave-man
Posts: 1016
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 pm
Has thanked: 612 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by Mancave-man » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:20 pm

I notice that there are non of those tiny tiny pieces though. Mind you, if your finding those you're not missing anything either. My 800 picks up minuscule bits of lead but it also finds hammered etc so no complaints from me ::g

rex123
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by rex123 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:57 am

No tiny bits is deliberate on my part, got fed up with signals that my pinpointer couldn't find when out the hole, but the Nox would! only to find as you say, tiny shot so now when it's out the hole, I switch to 5khz and if it disappears, fill in and move on.

Fusion
Posts: 4782
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:47 am
Location: Herts
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by Fusion » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Q:"I switch to 5kHz and if it disappears, fill in and move on"
That sound like a pretty good way of missing many of the better finds. There's a reason for the popularity of machines that operate in the 12-20 kHz range (Teknetics T2, XP GMP, Deus at 12 or 18kHz, to name a few), and that's because they favour ancient coins, tokens and other small/difficult targets, like bent/cracked/partefacts. Targets don't even have to be that small to have a high 'target frequency' - if they're made of low-conductivity metal like lead, for example, or debased silver (Saxon sceatta), or if they are 'long and thin', where the 'thin' dimension determines the 'target frequency', the length just affects signal strength.
Last edited by Fusion on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rex123
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by rex123 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:26 pm

You missed the point, I only switch to 5khz, when its out of the ground, the machine finds it but the pinpointer won't. I don't have time or see the point of chasing tiny sub cut quarter size objects, I wasted enough time doing that with the Deus.

Fusion
Posts: 4782
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:47 am
Location: Herts
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by Fusion » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Ok.
It does raise the issue of unsuitable pinpointers. They all seem optimised for coinshooting, big easy targets, and many of them run at 13 kHz or thereabouts. This leaves them rather ineffective on the kind of small targets you describe, which good modern detectors find easily. There's definitely a need for higher frequency pointers, 30kHz area would be suitable.
On one of the (many) 'pinpointer' threads discussing 'super-tuning' ( coin on the side trick), I commented that as well as using it to find larger targets 80mm away instead of 50mm, I often used it to find airgun pellets 8mm away instead of 5mm.

User avatar
littleboot
Posts: 3181
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Normandy (the cider and cheese area)
Has thanked: 1131 times
Been thanked: 2005 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by littleboot » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:19 pm

I know it can be a pain when a signal is strong but you can't see the target. (I don't use a pin-pointer). But generally I trust the machine. I 'lost' a signal the other day and almost gave up on it....everything was so dusty and it was going a tad dark as well. However I persevered and it was a tiny silver button which was stuck in a crevice of a flint nodule. Here in France we have some tiny old coins (rose farthing sized and less)and it pays to make sure.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10194
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2264 times
Been thanked: 5936 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by fred » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Fusion wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:46 pm
Ok.
It does raise the issue of unsuitable pinpointers. They all seem optimised for coinshooting, big easy targets, and many of them run at 13 kHz or thereabouts. This leaves them rather ineffective on the kind of small targets you describe, which good modern detectors find easily. There's definitely a need for higher frequency pointers, 30kHz area would be suitable.
On one of the (many) 'pinpointer' threads discussing 'super-tuning' ( coin on the side trick), I commented that as well as using it to find larger targets 80mm away instead of 50mm, I often used it to find airgun pellets 8mm away instead of 5mm.

I moved on the (Chinese) Minelab pinpointers when I got my Nox as my old (Chinese) American one wouldn't register the tiny bits of non ferrous metal I started finding. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Fusion
Posts: 4782
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:47 am
Location: Herts
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by Fusion » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:19 pm

It can be done. One of my 'experimental' pinpointers can detect a .22 airgun pellet at 25mm. That's running at about 45kHz, perhaps a bit too high, and in real world use, it would likely be too sensitive to the ground, the moons phase etc.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 5464
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1515 times
Been thanked: 2934 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by Easylife » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:51 pm

Fusion wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:19 pm
It can be done. One of my 'experimental' pinpointers can detect a .22 airgun pellet at 25mm. That's running at about 45kHz, perhaps a bit too high, and in real world use, it would likely be too sensitive to the ground, the moons phase etc.
My Garrett carrot does slightly better than that at 11.5 khz. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Fusion
Posts: 4782
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:47 am
Location: Herts
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by Fusion » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:17 pm

That's pretty good, I knew they were better on milled coins, thanks to the Yanks and their nickels and quarters tests. But I hadn't seen much about tough targets.
It's possible to squeeze a bit more out of the regular propointer. One thing that turns out affects it's sensitivity is that it detects its own electronics circuit-board, which sits pretty close behind the rear-end of the ferrite rod sensor. If you calibrate it properly with the circuit-board removed an inch or two, it's a fair bit better. The AT has a big gap between the board and the ferrite rod. ( the MD-Hunter blog had some pics of its guts ).
Last edited by Fusion on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 5464
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1515 times
Been thanked: 2934 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by Easylife » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:45 pm

Fusion wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:17 pm
That's pretty good, I knew they were better on milled coins, thanks to the Yanks and their nickels and quarters tests. But I hadn't seen much about tough targets.
It's possible to squeeze a bit more out of the regular propointer. One thing that turns out affects it's sensitivity is that it detects its own electronics circuit-board, which sits pretty close behind the rear-end of the ferrite rod sensor. If you calibrate it properly with the circuit-board removed, it's a fair bit better. The AT has a big gap between the board and the ferrite rod.
I never did feel any need to try the trick of taping a coin to it which is claimed to increase performance.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
f8met
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 am
Location: Cambs and Suffolk
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 769 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by f8met » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:23 am

So what is the dark item next to the hammered? It looks like a seal matrix.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 22 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

Fusion
Posts: 4782
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:47 am
Location: Herts
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by Fusion » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:34 am

The AT's sensitivity seems adequate enough that there is rarely going to be a need for 'coin on the side'. It's a technique that seems to originate with the original Propointer, which was I think, the first to perform power-on auto-calibration. After auto-cal, you then bring the coin closer to the sensor, until it's almost on the threshold of giving it's first beeps, then use it as normal. You don't 'tape the coin' to the pointer, as the auto-cal would then ignore it.
Another problem with improving the standard Propointer sensitivity is it's temperature drift. Direct sunlight shining on it will have it beeping away to itself in just ten seconds, sometimes. A lot of this drift is obviously influenced by the black case, the worst possible colour. I think the AT's orange is partly contributing to its performance gains.

So there's a recommendation for Rex : If you're looking for a better pinpointer, the Garrett AT 'carrot' will find those tiny bits easier.
Last edited by Fusion on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

rex123
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Equinox likes lead

Post by rex123 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:47 am

f8met wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:23 am
So what is the dark item next to the hammered? It looks like a seal matrix.
It's actually a copper alloy key hole cover

Post Reply

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”