Equinox Coil Lug Broken

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
detectorman5050

Equinox Coil Lug Broken

Post by detectorman5050 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Just noticed the coil lug on my Equinox is cracked. I’m not one for over tightening, and my Equinox has only been moderately used.

I bought it brand new from a leading, long established metal detector retailer. Does anyone know what my options are?

Thanks.

Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

Badger1935

Re: Equinox Coil Lug Broken

Post by Badger1935 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Should be no problem,contact them,send it back and it will be replaced under guarantee.But at the end of the day it should not be happening.I feel it is a manufacture failure.

holloway

Post by holloway » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:32 pm

contact your dealer tell them the problem send them the coil and they will send you a replacement there will not be any problems, same thing happened to me .

fred

Post by fred » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Funnily enough one of mine has just broken too. It is a very strange looking break, like two cracks have developed radiating out from the hole and a section has dropped out. ;;z

In my case the coil has been very heavily used for over 18 months and quite frankly I am amazed that it has lasted this long. I actually think that there may be a problem with the tear washers as they seem to crush flat with use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Equinox 800 x2

Spanish digger

Post by Spanish digger » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Mine lasted 1000 hours on beaches without rocks.I sent it back but it never arrived because it was badly broken I did not send recorded delivery.cost 250 for another. If you have not used for a 1000 hours by the time the 3 year warranty is up.you may want to examine closely the coil lugs.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 pm

If you can't get it replaced under warranty then try Q-Bond. It can be used to fix the cracked and even replace that missing piece.

Digiffys

Post by Digiffys » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:19 pm

I havent had any coil lug issues so far and haven't really given my Nox much time (30-40hrs top). One issue I did have though with the 15 inch coil was after cleaning and removing the cover a few days later noticed the whole coil was beginning to curve upwards! This in turn caused the resin beneath to crack in several places. Joan Allen being 1st class changed it straight away no probs top service as usual ::g ::g ::g while on the subject of the issue I found I'd recommend removing your coil cover what ever size you use and make sure it lays flat ,obviously against a flat surface. Any rocking of the coil means its probably abit distorted and could result in the resin beneath becoming cracked and then allowing water ingress to the wiring. Just something I found,quite an odd issue but heads up etc and worth a check ::g
History the best story yet!
Xp Deus
Teknetics G2+
Minelab Equinox - Awesome! The best machine ive used!

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Digiffys wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:19 pm
One issue I did have though with the 15 inch coil was after cleaning and removing the cover a few days later noticed the whole coil was beginning to curve upwards!
That's useful to know and it certainly would lead to further problems. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:45 pm

The 15" coil lugs do seem quite robust but apart from the rubber washers compressing and over tightening causing stress to them, I think some people may also lean on their detector without realizing it which would put a lot more stress of the coil lugs. x;
White's TDI SL

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks for the various replies. I phoned Joan Allen and luckily for me, they will replace the coil under warranty, so problem solved!
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

Marcos_equinox800

Post by Marcos_equinox800 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:19 pm

the materials seem to be of quite poor quality because this machine is 10 months old and look how it is. the machine gives good results but ... greetings from Fuerteventura ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:18 pm

A new broken part! :D

Last week I noticed my machine was creaking a bit at the end of each swing, previously I'd put a thin sliver of polythene sheet under the top cam lock to take up the play and prevent the aforementioned creaking, but a new noise has started, out came the earbuds and I have a bit of a listen, the noise this time was from the armrest, I gave one of the wings a little wiggle and it snapped off in my hand!

No big deal, some Gorilla glue and a stainless self tapper and a 2.5mm drill sorted it out, but lets face it, the Equinox made from a weak type of plastic that seems to be rather brittle, I've been very careful with my machine from day one having read about broken bits before the purchase, it would be nice if Minelab took all this on board and sorted out the subcontractor who is injection moulding this stuff for them....

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:50 am

I keep hearing about this problem that people are having with their coil lugs on the Equinox!- having bought an Equinox recently I'm glad to hear that people aren't having any issues with getting replacements under warranty though as that does offer some peace of mind!.

I'm planning to do quite a lot of beach hunting over the winter and I'm wondering if the cold temperatures and the odd dip in the cold sea water might be more likely to make the plastic more brittle over time- baring in mind the coil getting cold then warming up when you take it indoors following a cold session outside.You'd think the plastic used in the coil should be able to easily tolerate those type of temperature changes as they aren't extreme but if theres some kind of material flaw or not optimal design to the lugs then temperature might be enough to provoke some issues!.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:06 am

There should be no issues unless you over tighten the bolt which will bend the coil lugs and put stress on them. The thickness of the coil lugs is actually proportionate to the coil size.
White's TDI SL

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am

To many coil lugs have broken to just say it is over tightening of the bolt.Mine has broken and I literally have the coil hardly clamped.The lugs could have been manufactured more substantially with no detriment to the clamping.It must be worth while for people to manufacture lug bracing attachments .

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:07 am

Badger1935 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am
To many coil lugs have broken to just say it is over tightening of the bolt.Mine has broken and I literally have the coil hardly clamped.The lugs could have been manufactured more substantially with no detriment to the clamping.It must be worth while for people to manufacture lug bracing attachments .

Iam with Badger all the way with this one. ::g

It started from day one. :(

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:11 pm

I haven't had any problems with mine (yet) :-w But is there any reason they couldn't just of made the lugs from strengthened steel? =))
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Not a good idea to have any metal anywhere near to the coil,will almost certainly cause interference.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:26 pm

Badger1935 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm
Not a good idea to have any metal anywhere near to the coil,will almost certainly cause interference.
u;@ Sorry Badger... tongue in cheek. Hence the ' =)) '

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi.Brad.
Must put my humorous hat on I did not see your emoji.Your brain gets in gear before mine.
John.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Quote:"Is there any reason they couldn't just make the lugs from strengthened steel ?"
It's not a daft idea to make the lugs from steel, but you need to do it correctly.

* Firstly, you need to choose the steel so it gives the minimum magnetic response to the coil. This means stainless steel, but which specific type is best, I don't know. There's no shortage of alloys to choose from, I suspect the less readily a magnet sticks to it would be best, so high-chromium alloys like A4 may work?

* Secondly you need to minimise the effect of the metal on the coil. So use as little metal as possible, so no 3mm thick stuff, and don't over-engineer it. Normally this would mean having holes cut in it, to remove metal in areas where it's not needed. But .... holes affect the response to a metal detector, which is why we get fooled by iron rings, buckles, chain-links etc, so this needs some consideration.
Then keep the metal away from the coil as far as practical. So rather than having the lug bracket just above the coil, have an extra 10-15mm of plastic between the top of the coil and the lug.

* Remember that detectors see the movement of the metal, so provided the metal lug is fixed properly, and doesn't flex under normal use, eg. when reversing swing direction, brushing on undergrowth/grass/sand, it should be ignored.

Here's a link to a thread I made about the use of metal coil-fixing bolts:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=82852
Last edited by Fusion on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Fusion wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm
It's not a daft idea to make the lugs from steel, but you need to do it correctly.

* Firstly, you need to choose the steel so it gives the minimum magnetic response to the coil. This means stainless steel, but which specific type is best, I don't know. There's no shortage of alloys to choose from, I suspect the less readily a magnet sticks to it would be best, so high-chromium alloys like A4 may work?

* Secondly you need to minimise the effect of the metal on the coil. So use as little metal as possible, so no 3mm thick stuff, and don't over-engineer it. Normally this would mean having holes cut in it, to remove metal in areas where it's not needed. But .... holes affect the response to a metal detector, which is why we get fooled by iron rings, buckles, chain-links etc, so this needs some consideration.
Then keep the metal away from the coil as far as practical. So rather than having the lug bracket just above the coil, have an extra 10-15mm of plastic between the top of the coil and the lug.

* Remember that detectors see the movement of the metal, so provided the metal lug is fixed properly, and doesn't flex under normal use, eg. when reversing swing direction, brushing on undergrowth/grass/sand, it should be ignored.

My brain hurts! x;

I genuinely admire your technical expertise on all of these matters Fusion, but I should have stuck to 'I haven't had any problems'. I keep the bolt tightening loose (I have undulating ground anyway), but I may be posting a 'my lugs have broken' report in the future.

Thanks for the techie stuff.

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

holloway

Post by holloway » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Just broke my second one definitely not overtightened they are just to thin and too brittle simple as !!! and by the way i am not particularly happy about it can you tell ?

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Fusion wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm
Quote:"Is there any reason they couldn't just make the lugs from strengthened steel ?"

I had a Whites Surfmaster II many years ago and the coil bolt supplied was actually steel with a plastic knurled end, it worked great on the beach until I happened to lean on it a bit too hard and the lugs broke so maybe steel strengthening in the lugs is not such a bad idea.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Pinpointing would be fun :))

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:34 pm

Sorry if it has already been said. But I was just giving my NOX a clean up and all is OK, but I did notice that the coil lugs are slightly squeezed inwards when the bolt is done up. This isn’t going to help with a possible fracture long term.

So I cut out a washer from an old credit card bit of plastic. It now sits much more parallel to the shaft. I did something similar to my CTX a few years ago when the washers became worn and it wouldn’t tighten up nice.

Hope this simple mod helps to offer some kind of protection.

Dave ):=
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:05 pm

My equinox is virtually brand new and I can see free play between the lugs and arm. Why they made the lugs so thin beats me. I assume they are stronger on the 15"coil?

maylandmanta

Post by maylandmanta » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Look like this is a well known issue as a quick look on a very well known auction site has someone from Spain selling a repair/strengthing bracket for this reason.

Steve

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:55 pm

The coil lugs on the15" coil to me are no stronger.after having lugs break on my 11" coil and replaced under warranty I have purchased one of the strengthening brackets on line they are universal to both coils.I begrudge having to do it but I would rather be safe than having to mess about having to go through the warranty procedure again.The brackets seem a good idea and will go a long way to solve this.minelab created problem.

Bors

Post by Bors » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:59 pm

Badger1935 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm
Apologies for contradicting you but I`m afraid that's incorrect.
For many years Tesoro have used a metal bolt to hold the Coil to the detector shaft without ANY interference whatsoever and actually anyone can use a metal bolt no matter what "motion" detector they use . As long as any metal moves with the coil in its swing ,it will not give off any interference.
If you want to prove this, try taping a small bolt or coin onto the top of the coil to keep it stationary . Keeping it stationary, is the key, and swing the coil. You will find no interference from it. The interference happens when the metal is run over (across) by the coil as the coil is "in motion" that causes a signal detection .

I have just enclosed two pictures of the Bolt on my Tesoro Bandido2Umax ,and as you can see ,its metal , and most Tesoro`s used a bolt like this for years.The bolt causes no interference at all.
Last edited by Bors on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”