Equinox 600 - how to interpret the numbers?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
sgoody1

Equinox 600 - how to interpret the numbers?

Post by sgoody1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi all,

And thanks for everyones advice on pointing me towards the Nox 600, which has been fun to use. I was on a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 - and one member here described moving from that to a Nox as the equivalent of swapping over from a 20" Black and White TV to a 65 inch Colour 4K TV - and I do think that is a pretty good comparison.

Am having fun with it - using basic setting (normally Park 1), and doing that noise cancel thing before I start - and sometimes a few times more during a session if I feel the readings are going astray.

I think I am getting pretty good at identifying the noise and numbers for old pennies, partly by the noise and reading, but more by the fact the signal tends to be more focussed on one spot.

I have also found a few silver coins eg a florin, and a couple of sixpences, but as that is rare, I am not really sure what to look out for, and would like to try and focus on finding those more than coppers, which almost always are toasted to the point you can only just make out enough detail to identify the monarch, while the silvers are so far in pretty good shape.

So what readings am I looking for, or should I change some settings to be able to help me spot them when the Nox starts bleeping?

And any other tips?

Many thanks

Easylife

Re: Equinox 600 - how to interpret the numbers?

Post by Easylife » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:17 am

It was I who gave you the TV comparison as an example of the genuine difference to be expected between machines, but am so glad that you are enjoying the Nox, a great upgrade. You mention doing noise cancelling but ground balancing on a clear patch of ground is most beneficial. Whilst focusing on specific target numbers can be beneficial in certain circumstances it's not something that you should generally be doing unless you are specifically coin hunting for example. Both good and unwanted finds can have the very same target numbers so you should just forget about only digging certain numbers if you don't wish to be missing some good stuff also, but it's your choice. Generally the smaller the piece of any metal will give a lower target ID than a larger piece. As a personal example, a small gold fob ring reads at just 1, a thin gold ring may read say 14, and a chunky gold ring perhaps 20 or so. Small Medieval buckles come in at about 9, so it's really only some single digit targets that are debatable whether to dig or not and lots of them are small foil. So the bottom line is that if the target sounds good, just dig it and don't get obsessed by any target numbers. You have to dig some trash to find the goodies. ::g :D
Field 1 is likely the most popular program in the UK for pasture or cultivated though Park ! is similar.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:55 am

I agree with Easylife. u;@

Don’t go by the numbers. Dig anything that doesn’t grunt at you. If you can get used to using 50 tones you’ll find that your ears will soon get used to what’s worth a dig. Usually the high, sharp tones
I say usually but if you saw my post in Field Permissions a couple of days ago, you’ll see I dug 20 + pieces of aluminium wire. They gave a lovely high tone and a number 16. Could have been a good find and and had to be dug. A good example of what EasyLife said. Good and bad with the same numbers.

Like I often say, ‘if it so much as squeaks, dig it’. ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:40 am

I have the Nox 800, and I believe the TIDs are the same (-9 to +40) on both machines.

The only down side to the Nox IMHO is that so many different targets all come in the same limited range, mainly 10-19, so its nearly impossible to go by the numbers.

Also the same metal can be used for "good" finds and "rubbish" so these would give the same TIDs, for instance one of my favourite finds are lead bags seals which you can research and find out the history of, yet sadly random bits of lead are much more common - no machine could tell you which was which.

Inland I dig all positive numbers, but on heavily foil infested beaches I might only dig double figure numbers after I have got bored with ali (BUT by doing so I accept that I might miss good targets - even small gold!).

Evan

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:08 pm

Easylife wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:17 am
It was I who gave you the TV comparison as an example of the genuine difference to be expected between machines, but am so glad that you are enjoying the Nox, a great upgrade. You mention doing noise cancelling but ground balancing on a clear patch of ground is most beneficial. Whilst focusing on specific target numbers can be beneficial in certain circumstances it's not something that you should generally be doing unless you are specifically coin hunting for example. Both good and unwanted finds can have the very same target numbers so you should just forget about only digging certain numbers if you don't wish to be missing some good stuff also, but it's your choice. Generally the smaller the piece of any metal will give a lower target ID than a larger piece. As a personal example, a small gold fob ring reads at just 1, a thin gold ring may read say 14, and a chunky gold ring perhaps 20 or so. Small Medieval buckles come in at about 9, so it's really only some single digit targets that are debatable whether to dig or not and lots of them are small foil. So the bottom line is that if the target sounds good, just dig it and don't get obsessed by any target numbers. You have to dig some trash to find the goodies. ::g :D
Field 1 is likely the most popular program in the UK for pasture or cultivated though Park ! is similar.
I enjoyed the comparison, but wasn't sure you wanted it attributed to you - but that was what made me take the plunge!
I haven't tried ground balancing yet. Its not on the basic instructions, which kind of imply to just use a basic setting, do the cancelling and go.
Basic ground balance automatically is apparently: pick the setting I want eg Park 1. then press the Tick / X button and hold it while pumping the coil up and down to the ground. That was according to a video I watched - but still not quite sure - and does it make a big difference?

Maybe I will try Field 1 next time, and see if that's different to Park 1. :;@

Thanks again for your advice.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:38 pm

You obviously haven’t down loaded the Manual. You should. Other people’s instructions can be well intentioned but not always totally correct.
The basic start up and go instructions are just to get you going if you want to get into other things, like changing even simple things, you need to read the manual.
It’s easy enough to down load and save then you can refer to it whenever. Plus if you do something wrong, do you know how to ‘factory re-set’ ? The manual will tell you.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:43 pm

sgoody1 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:08 pm
Basic ground balance automatically is apparently: pick the setting I want eg Park 1. then press the Tick / X button and hold it while pumping the coil up and down to the ground. That was according to a video I watched - but still not quite sure - and does it make a big difference?
Just make sure that you have it in All-metal and find a completely silent metal free patch of ground to ground balance on. Yes it makes the machine run noticeably quieter and more stable if you have the correct ground balance. You may need to noise cancel and ground balance again if the ground changes. ::g
White's TDI SL

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:34 am

It sounds as though you are moving in exactly the right direction although I'd try Field 1. Read here for some advice:

https://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/v ... .php?f=291

Also, as Ladybird said, download the manual. It will all eventually make sense. :D

Best of luck
Equinox 800 x2

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 am

fred wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:34 am
It sounds as though you are moving in exactly the right direction although I'd try Field 1. Read here for some advice:

https://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=291

Also, as Ladybird said, download the manual. It will all eventually make sense. :D

Best of luck
Thanks for that - the link seemed to take me back to a home page though - was it meant to direct to a specific article?

Bors

Post by Bors » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am

I may be wrong on this but I think Fred was referring you to his Equinox related help on settings. in,...

" A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1. Plus 2 additions "

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Don't.
Concentrate on interpreting the sounds instead.
If you DO look at the numbers then WHAT number it is is neither here nor there in terms of what you do or don't dig, much more useful is how the display behaves I.E. how steady it is as you move back and forth over the target.
Even so, its a guide only and personally I feel you need to dig on sound.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am

Using Field 1 would be far better than using Park 1 where the iron bias is killing it.
Tones are really down to user preference, the more tones the more target information. But any tones will detect a target so confirmation of whether ferrous or non-ferrous is all that matters in our decision whether to dig it or not. I find that even 2 tones all-metal will still add quite a very subtle but distinctive iron signature to ferrous targets even when the target generally sounds good and clean.
White's TDI SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 am

littleboot wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 pm
Don't.
If you DO look at the numbers then WHAT number it is is neither here nor there in terms of what you do or don't dig, much more useful is how the display behaves I.E. how steady it is as you move back and forth over the target.
With a single frequency machine I would agree, but it's not. Of course first just concentrate on digging the clean 2-way targets. But I think that the OP is basically just saying that they have observed that round targets give a sweet response and noticed that certain numbers correspond to certain coins and the Nox is quite number consistent.
Depending on the site I think that target numbers can be very relevant and anything above about 10 should certainly be dug. Most targets below 10 tend to be foil but small targets of other desirable metals can also give a low reading. The trouble is that when there is iron close to non-ferrous then you will get a jumpy target that is difficult to interpret so may as well just dig it anyway as often it will become a clean non-ferrous target. I'd say to interpret both sound and numbers on the Nox, but each to their own. x; ::g
White's TDI SL

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:43 am

Easylife wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 am
littleboot wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 pm
Don't.
With a single frequency machine I would agree, but it's not. Of course first just concentrate on digging the clean 2-way targets. But I think that the OP is basically just saying that they have observed that round targets give a sweet response and noticed that certain numbers correspond to certain coins and the Nox is quite number consistent.
Depending on the site I think that target numbers can be very relevant and anything above about 10 should certainly be dug. Most targets below 10 tend to be foil but small targets of other desirable metals can also give a low reading. The trouble is that when there is iron close to non-ferrous then you will get a jumpy target that is difficult to interpret so may as well just dig it anyway as often it will become a clean non-ferrous target. I'd say to interpret both sound and numbers on the Nox, but each to their own. x; ::g
Exactly as Easylife says. ::g The Nox only shows what it has been programmed to show. It is very accurate with the obvious targets but it may struggle to ID some signals. You should be able to do a few things with the sweep speed and wriggle to lock on to some iffy targets but if you can't then it's down to experience (or a dig everything policy).

The obvious targets are becoming scarce on my regular permissions so most of the goodies are very deep or give odd or iffy signals for other reasons. Considering that I run the Nox very sparky and the sort of signals I am generally dealing with I am pleased that I seldom dig more than a few bits of iron in a session.

Patience grasshopper! :D
Equinox 800 x2

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:01 pm

I haven't found the numbers on the Nox remotely 'consistent'. I also dig a lot of very thin low-grade silver hammies...if I didn't dig below 10 I would certainly miss them. But as I said, I dig on sound. Dig most iffys...unless the ground is a pig to dig and then frankly I Can't be A'd.
I don't look at the screen before I dig unless I am in a Can't be A'd mood and want an excuse to leave it. And that is usually when I decide to go home. :D

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:52 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:38 pm
You obviously haven’t down loaded the Manual. You should. Other people’s instructions can be well intentioned but not always totally correct.
The basic start up and go instructions are just to get you going if you want to get into other things, like changing even simple things, you need to read the manual.
It’s easy enough to down load and save then you can refer to it whenever. Plus if you do something wrong, do you know how to ‘factory re-set’ ? The manual will tell you.
Thanks Ladybird66 - I have now looked over the manual, there is a lot there. I was advised just after getting the machine that the basic settings are very good anyway, and I should get used too that before trying anything clever.

Occasionally when I try and find a function, I have probably inadvertently changed some setting, so I did work out how to do a factory rest, and have done that whenever I feel I have made a mistake.
At this stage, I cant really think of anything I would want to change. I sometimes boost up the sensitivity from 20 to 25, when I think I am getting a signal, but its not that consistent, or patchy.

I am worried that maybe my basic settings are missing deep coins, as most of what I find are coins from about 1910 to 1938, with only a very occasional Victorian coin. Would a compromise be to go to Park 2 setting?

Either way, I want to continue getting used to the Nox before I try anything sophisticated.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:50 am

I’m glad you’ve scanned the manual but at this stage it’s less confusing to just ‘be aware’ of everything you could do.
It’s wise advice to get used to the machine before you try changing the settings. You won’t miss an awful lot with the pre programmed settings. Out of preference I’m using Field 1 because I was surprised that Field 2, although probably a more accurate program, will pick up coke. If you haven’t come across that yet, it’s ironised stone or literally coke that we burn. Some of my fields are littered with it.
Don’t worry about only finding more modern coinage, it’s probably all that’s there. If you’re picking up lots and lots of iron there is one setting you could change that makes life a bit easier. It’s in the manual ‘Iron Bias’ it’s the second function on the ‘Recovery’ button. I have mine set at 1 but you can go higher. Higher I think reduces the depth somewhat. Also the ‘Tones’ 2, 5, or 50. With 50 I’ve found, gives a better indication of what’s being detected but it’s easier to start with 5. Get used to them first. It’s up to you and doesn’t affect depth.
Must admit I found the factory reset a godsend when I first started fiddling, easy to get too clever sometimes. Are you using the wired headphones or Bluetooth ? If the latter, remember you’ll have to set them up again every time you reset.
If you want a good example of how the numbers can lead you astray have a look at the lump of iron I dug in my post ‘Mad Dogs Find Silver’ I never cease to be amazed.
It’s also worth mentioning that there are more experienced peeps on this forum that beginners who have previous experience of Minelabs. They’ve all been where you are at the present.
From my experience the Equinox is the most user friendly of the lot of them. It just takes practice.
Patience and persistence is name of the game.
If you’re confused, just ask ::g

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:32 am

sgoody1 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:52 pm
Would a compromise to be to go to Park 2 setting?
No, I wouldn't call that a compromise at all, but maybe more of adding to confusion? The lesser Iron bias of unmasking non-ferrous targets is a good move but at the same time you are jumping to 50 tones so both will create more feedback than before. It's up to you but just using Field 1, which has 2 tones, at whatever sensitivity is stable would likely be your best bet. ::g
White's TDI SL

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Field 1 is the name of the game when starting out in British (and French :D ) conditions. ::g

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:27 pm

littleboot wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 pm
Field 1 is the name of the game when starting out in British (and French :D ) conditions. ::g
OK - my next outing with it - I promise to try Field 1 for a prolonged period.
I will report back with my review.
::g

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:33 am

littleboot wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 pm
Not just for starting out. :D ::g
White's TDI SL

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:04 am

I have a couple of places where the algorithm of Field 2 is going to be better suited for the targets I think *hope are there.

ninja nige

Post by ninja nige » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:01 pm

Hello.
just a caution, be aware of suggested settings for Nox 600. when people are talking about Nox 800.
settings are not the same in many things... 3 on 800 is the same as 1 on 600 in some settings.
good luck
Nige
WHITES MXT, MXT-PRO,mxt sport..MAKRO MULTI KRUZER.. 750 formula racing car, arsenal season ticket. `11 cats

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi,
Well I had a go with Field 1. Tried it for about an hour - and basically dug up a load of rubbish.
More than I typically do with Park 1.

I was a bit put off with just 2 tones, given you say dig up everything with a tone.

I also found it seemed to pick up iron more so than on Park 1.

After about an hour of trying, I switched back to Park 1.

I have been using Park 1 since getting the 600, and done probably a total of over 40 hours with it - so I am getting accustomed to the different tones, and readings - and I would say about 70% of my digs turn up something remotely interesting (in most instances a coin 1900s +).

At one point, on Park 1, I was getting a faint signal - it bleeped, then didn't, no matter what direction I went, and tried switching to Field 1 to see how the signal changed. I then got a much more positive signal, and dug away, only to find a lump of rusty iron.

The rest of the session was spent with just Park 1, but actually it was a mixed bag - with a lot more of those small seal things showing up, which I will post later.

In short, I feel I have become too attached to park 1, and now don't have confidence in Field 1 to make a longer term switch.

To note, I am not in ploughed fields or anything, more garden type areas, and wooded areas, with either damp, or quite firm soil.

I will have another go - if the feeling is it will help me in other ways, but if there isn't much difference between the two settings, or if I can maybe boost (adjust settings of) Park 1, to mimic any advantages of Field 1 - that might be an option

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:43 pm

I`d think carefully about using Park 1 as its aimed as far as I can make out ,at the American coin shooters for using in what it says..... "Parks". Now the horrendous thing about Park 1 is, Park 1 is optimised for modern coins and larger jewellery with a default discrimination pattern set to reject many common aluminium foil-like targets. This is typical of the Americans who do not have much in the way of History as we are lucky enough to have as far as Ancient coinage is concerned, and hence they do not have very thin Silver hammered coins which guess what !! Come in the same band as some Aluminium/foil comes in at. It`s aimed at wiping out pull tabs .
So! use Park 1 and you`ll not find much-hammered coins.

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:09 pm

You will find more junk if you use the Field 1 mode without changing anything. This is because it has the Iron Bias on 0 and the sounds on Tone 1 (the negative signals) are set high and loud enough to sound like a good signal so you have to dig them. Changes need to be made before Field 1 can be sensibly used.

The Park Modes reject far too much good stuff for most British situations. You are likely to be leaving the best stuff in the ground.

The main fixed difference between modes is the range of frequencies in each one. The settings are different too but they can be changed. Once you start adjusting the setting to something more sensible you are likely to be converging with the other modes anyway.

This all sounds horribly complicated but it really isn't. Most people get it all sorted after a few familiarisation trips out and a bit of bad language and stress. The ideal answer is simply to get somebody to show you how to set it up properly though. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Oh dear. I did suggest two thing to change in Field 1 to make life a little easier. You haven’t mentioned changing either of them.

Iron bias, page 52 in the manual. Change from 0 to 1.
Tones, on the screen. Change to 5 by using the up button.

This will blank out quite a lot of the iron but not all. Some of it try’s to convince you it’s gold by giving the nicest of sounds. You usually know after the first spadeful what it really is.
As I explained 50 tones will give you a better idea but they are quite a trial to get used to. Stick to 5 for now.

Tip, it’s easier to use Field 1 with 2 changes than virtually changing everything to make Park 1 do the same job.

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:08 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:53 pm
Oh dear. I did suggest two thing to change in Field 1 to make life a little easier. You haven’t mentioned changing either of them.

Iron bias, page 52 in the manual. Change from 0 to 1.
Tones, on the screen. Change to 5 by using the up button.

This will blank out quite a lot of the iron but not all. Some of it try’s to convince you it’s gold by giving the nicest of sounds. You usually know after the first spadeful what it really is.
As I explained 50 tones will give you a better idea but they are quite a trial to get used to. Stick to 5 for now.

Tip, it’s easier to use Field 1 with 2 changes than virtually changing everything to make Park 1 do the same job.
Thankyou Ladybird66 - today I tried that, and it was much better.
Firstly, I was more familiar with the tones, as its similar to Park 1 - so I felt I knew what I was doing more (although it was probably less, as the tones are unlikely to correspond to Park 1)

Secondly, I dug up much less iron. There was still some, but not as bad as before.
Still finding lots of aluminium ring pulls - but I guess that goes with the territory.

I wanted to try and save the setting - but it looks like that option is only available on the Equinox 800 - if only I knew!!

Problem now feels like before I set off there are so many things to do each time? I guess the more often I do it, the easier it will get. or does it automatically save the revised settings? I cant work it out in the manual.

Thanks again for all your help - much appreciated.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:06 am

Once you’ve changed the tones and iron bias they will be saved to that program (Field 1) for the next time you switch on. If you change programs, say to Field 2, then go back you loose them.

Same as you I went for the 600 because I thought, well I’m a simple swinger, don’t need all that extra hassle with more options BUT I didn’t realise you can’t save a program on the 600, if only i’d Known !

I thought I’d be clever, got Field 1 set up a treat (even changed the tone break) and thought, OK that’s that, won’t be using any other programs, all I need to do is switch and go. Ha ! Well it was a good idea but ! I had a panic moment, pressed the wrong button and everything went blue t’s up. :D I hadn’t written the settings down and I couldn’t remember them all. Just got a bit too clever me thinks.
S’pose it happens with a new machine till you’re really familiar with the controls. Pleased that you found an improvement. Here’s to some peaceful detecting and maybe a nice find or two ::g

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:32 am

Don't worry! Everything that you are experiencing is part of the Nox learning curve. We have all been through it. In a few weeks you will wonder what all the fuss was about. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”