TELE KNOX Minelab Equinox Carbon Fibre Telescopic Stem

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Devonboy

Re: TELE KNOX Minelab Equinox Carbon Fibre Telescopic Stem

Post by Devonboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 am

Morning Tony Hunt,

I have been out with my Telenox about 6-8 times now and after the 1st time always carry the supplied Allen key in order to tighten the stem clamps. I am finding that I need to tighten the stem about once an hour and it is only a matter of time until I can tighten no more. Would the new nylon lock nuts alleviate this problem? If so can I purchase a few as it’s becoming a bit of a pain to have to keep tightening the stem clamps in the field.

TIA

Tony Brown

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am

Hi.Tony.
How do I go about ordering the new standard length red bottom stem and how much is it.I wold like to order one.
Regards John.

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am

Take care with the tightening, I split the middle stem overdoing it. I still love the reduced weight and telescopicness? of it but have had to make several modifications to make it perform how I want it to. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:05 am

Badger1935 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am
Hi.Tony.
How do I go about ordering the new standard length red bottom stem and how much is it.I wold like to order one.
Regards John.

Hello Badger1935, these red lower stems are presently in a development stage but are very close to be released ::g
I`ll update this thread when these stems have arrived and have been listed ::g

Thanks
mrix

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am

Devonboy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 am
Morning Tony Hunt,

I have been out with my Telenox about 6-8 times now and after the 1st time always carry the supplied Allen key in order to tighten the stem clamps. I am finding that I need to tighten the stem about once an hour and it is only a matter of time until I can tighten no more. Would the new nylon lock nuts alleviate this problem? If so can I purchase a few as it’s becoming a bit of a pain to have to keep tightening the stem clamps in the field.

TIA

Tony Brown
Hello Tony send me your address on an email and I will send you some for free also anybody else having trouble. The factory should have used them from day one and didn't, they do now since we rollocked them. [email protected]

vladorado

Post by vladorado » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:13 pm

I have the black one. I find this telescopic stem much wobblier than the original one.It is especially bad with the 15" coil that I use all the time now. I gave up on tightening the clamps and let it wobble. The convenience of telescopic function outweighs it's flimsiness and wobbliness for me. I hope for release of a better quality telescopic stem in the future.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6", 11" and 17" coils.
Minelab Equinox 800 with 6", 11", 15" coils.
Minelab Pro-find 35, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Nokta Waterproof Pointer.
ALL THE GEAR, NO IDEA!

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:12 pm

I was going to buy one, but by the looks of it there are a few issues...so i'll wait until a new and improved telenox come out.

Matt

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:35 pm

Mat your choice but the issues were minor and all fixed as they happened. A big new shipment came in a few days ago will the few modifications done and sorted. As I said the problems were minor and immediately fixed I think out of 400 sold we have had 4 back, one of those the person took an instant dislike to it and didnt even put it together. Thats what we are up against and of course it gets spread unfairly on facebook.

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm

vladorado wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:13 pm
I have the black one. I find this telescopic stem much wobblier than the original one.It is especially bad with the 15" coil that I use all the time now. I gave up on tightening the clamps and let it wobble. The convenience of telescopic function outweighs it's flimsiness and wobbliness for me. I hope for release of a better quality telescopic stem in the future.
Its because the black one is glossier than the red one and everything needs tightening up that little bit more. You clearly have it too loose if its wobbling, neither of mine wobble and nor do most others. Do not be afraid to tighten things up a bit more,

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:41 pm

mrix wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:05 am
Badger1935 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am
Hi.Tony.
Regards John.

Hello Badger1935, these red lower stems are presently in a development stage but are very close to be released ::g
I`ll update this thread when these stems have arrived and have been listed ::g

Thanks
mrix
Red lower stems will be on the way very soon.

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:49 pm

fred wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am
Take care with the tightening, I split the middle stem overdoing it. I still love the reduced weight and telescopicness? of it but have had to make several modifications to make it perform how I want it to. ::g
Fred, why didnt you notify me you had trouble. Let me know what few modifications you have had to do. I guess the lack of nylon lock nuts may have been one of your problems. The factory fitted the wrong nuts on the first shipment that I gave you one out of, should have been nylon as I said. I have bags of them here now If anybody wants a few sent. That would have caused you to need to overtighten the clamps if they were loosening off often. We put this problem right straight away so anybody buying since would have got updated ones. Give me a call and I will send you another middle stem if you want one, got no problem with changing anything rather than get bad press. Complaints have been minimal out of 3-400 sold so I know we havent got a major problem.

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks for your kind offer Tony Hunt, I have sent you an email.

Thankyou very much

Tony Brown

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:55 pm

Tony Hunt wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:49 pm
fred wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am
Fred, why didnt you notify me you had trouble. Let me know what few modifications you have had to do. I guess the lack of nylon lock nuts may have been one of your problems. The factory fitted the wrong nuts on the first shipment that I gave you one out of, should have been nylon as I said. I have bags of them here now If anybody wants a few sent. That would have caused you to need to overtighten the clamps if they were loosening off often. We put this problem right straight away so anybody buying since would have got updated ones. Give me a call and I will send you another middle stem if you want one, got no problem with changing anything rather than get bad press. Complaints have been minimal out of 3-400 sold so I know we havent got a major problem.
Hi Tony

I've been away for the week since I first discovered the split so I haven't done anything about it yet. Despite the split I've been using the telescopic stem anyway with no real problem.

I have given the stem a full workout over the past month or two and have used it a hell of a lot. Even with the issue with the clamps and the consequent split I have no complaints as the reduced weight and storage length and the improved coil connection have been really beneficial. I also eventually wrapped some gaffer tape around the stem before fitting the arm cup and the handle. This seems to make a serious difference to the rigidity of the stem, which suits me better. It will take a while to tell if this modification will have a down side but it's a risk that I'm happy to take.

I still haven't fitted a 15 inch coil on it yet so I have no idea how that will pan out.

I am pleased enough that I going to buy a TELE KNOX telescopic stem for my second Nox over the next few days so I'd appreciate if you'd send me a new middle section and some of the new clamps with it. I'll remind you when I place the order.

Cheers

Fred
Equinox 800 x2

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:03 am

Course I will Fred. Im pleased you like it. This is what we are finding generally. The number of real complaints of problems have been minimal.
Scottie Ellis did an amazing job of designing it. The initial batch from the factory had a few little niggly problems like the wrong hole size for the armrest and the fact they sent earlier batch out with the wrong type nuts on the clamp. The lack of lock nuts didnt help people keep the clamps tight. They are all being delivered now with nylon lock nuts. If anybody wants me to send them some just call or email.
The addition of the allan keys in the spares pack was definitely a good move. I keep mine in my finds bag now just incase. Im finding some people are frightened to tighten things up properly ( unlike you, lol) and are getting wobble problems, they need to tighten that bit more to stop that. A bit of electrical tape under the arm rest and control box is maybe a good idea and will not hurt anything. The black stems are more glossy and slippy than the red so need tightening that bit more maybe. At the end of the day if somebody has a do it yourself mentality like you clearly have Fred they will solve little problems like that themselves. Sadly a lot don't.

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:37 pm

Thankyou very much Tony Hunt for the new nylon lock nuts and the complimentary underside to control box, excellent service as they arrived very quickly ( this morning).
Hopefully the new nuts will keep everything so much tighter, though I will carry the supplied Allen key with me on the next couple of trips just in case.

Just love the portability that the telescopic stem gives to my Equinox, far easier to get in/out of my car boot now.

Thanks again

Tony Brown

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”