A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1. Plus 2 additions

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
fred

A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1. Plus 2 additions

Post by fred » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:59 am

People keep asking about my settings for the Equinox 800. I dislike simply listing settings because people tend to install them and then complain that they don't work, which they may not unless you also also understand the machine. I will describe roughly how what makes the Nox tick, tell you what has worked on my well pounded pasture sites and give you a few tips but you are advised to read the manual, watch videos, listen to others and experiment like mad to find a setup of your own which you are comfortable with.

I stress that this article is only about the settings that I use and are not in any way definitive. I will happlily revise anything that I have cocked up, which needs clarification or when better information emerges. I am still learning the Nox too so any feedback will be welcome.

I will make the assumption that you have already bought your Nox and had a play with it. You are used to turning it on and off, connecting headphones and listening to it squawking at you (and probably swearing back at it. :D) If you’ve had a fiddle with the settings you should have realised that some buttons need different pressure or holding down longer than others. It’s now time to try to understand it a bit more in order to harness the power that you have paid good money for.

I tend to use Field 1. I’ve tried Field 2 and the Gold modes but not noticed any major performance improvement. Field 2 will pick up coke at target IDs 1&2 while Field 1 doesn’t. the gold modes tend to be quite noisy although some people swear by them.

Frequency. You have a choice of several single frequencies or multifrequency. Single frequencies may have specific uses but I would expect people to use multifrequency most of the time.

Noise Control. Always noise control when you switch on the Nox and do it again if you change Modes, make any serious changes to the settings or if you start to pick up interference as you move around. Some sources of interference like overhead cables or electric fences are obvious but others aren’t. Some mobile phones and pinpointers can interfere with Noxes.

All Metal. Without all metal there is a sharp cutoff between targets which give a good signal and those that don’t. This means that you will simply not hear deep targets that are beyond the limit of the noise ID even if the Nox can pick them up. I reckon that there are about two inches extra depth to be gained on coins by using all metal and interpreting what you are hearing rather than relying on the machine to tell you that it is good.

Sensitivity. Run as high as possible but don’t worry about lowering it a little if the site is particularly mineralised or noisy. I generally detect at about 21 although some people manage to go higher.

Settings

Ground Balance. Always make sure that the machine is ground balanced for the site that you are on. If you don't you will miss some small or faint signals. You can ground balance manually or automatically. I find the ground balance numbers are consistent so there is usually no need to ground balance again if you return to the same site that you were on the previous session. I strongly advise against using ground balance tracking.

Volume Adjust. Have the volume set on maximum. If it is too loud adjust it on your headphones.

Volume Adjust Advanced – Tone Volume. I use a low number for Tone 1. That way you hear iron only as a background whisper, much more relaxing and less confusing than having it deafen you.

Threshold Level. It is wise to use a threshold as it gives you additional information about the target.

Threshold Level Advanced – Threshold Tone. To suit your hearing.

Target Tone. I always use 50 tones as I feel that this gives me more information about a target. Some people think otherwise and it is down to personal preferences.

Target Tone Advanced – Tone Pitch. I set Tone 1 at 1 so iron just gives a low grunt.

Accept/Reject. I reject everything from -9 up to 0 and accept everything above it. Field 1 does not detect coke like this but Field 2 will give it a 1 or 2 target ID number. This is due to the different combination of frequencies used in each mode.

Accept/Reject Advanced – Tone Break. This can be used to vary the widths of the tone bands. It doesn’t apply to 50 tones though so I don’t use it.

Recovery Speed. This is an important setting. The signal gets narrower as the number increases and you can detect good targets closer to iron, separate multiple targets and pinpoint better. However, the sensitivity drops off rapidly.

Recovery Speed Advanced – Iron Bias. Another very important setting. Without an iron bias setting all iron is detected and will give a positive signal. As the iron bias setting is increased more iron will be rejected. This setting affects depth and sensitivity rapidly so should be used very sparingly.

My Settings:
Field 1
Frequency (multifrequency)
Sensitivity (21)
All Metal (on)
Ground Balance (manual or automatic)
Volume Adjust (25)
Volume Adjust Advanced (Tone 1: 1)
Threshold Level (to suit)
Threshold Level Advanced (to suit)
Target Tone (50)
Target Tone Advanced (Tone 1:1)
Accept/Reject (reject -9 to 0)
Accept/Reject Advanced (not used)
Recovery Speed (3)
Recovery Speed Advanced (Iron Bias 3)

Tips

The Nox should be absolutely stable in use with just the occasional flicker to indicate that you have the ground balance set right.

Once you have your Nox set up you need to get the swing speed right and keep the same distance just above the surface. If you swing too slow or too fast you will miss targets, particularly small or deep ones. The wrong swing speed can also cause instability (but there can be other causes too). Experiment with targets as you go to see what swing speed gives the best results. If you change modes or settings a different swing speed may be needed (and the ID numbers may change). Varying the swing speed is also useful when pinpointing targets without using the pinpoint function or faffing about with different frequencies.

The Nox struggles to completely reject large pieces of iron, especially those with holes. It usually gives a positive signal in the mid to high teens which is surrounded by negative numbers. It may also pinpoint iron slightly off centre if you’re not using the built in pinpoint function.

Target ID numbers are just a rough guide. They are more useful if combined with the noises (hence 50 tones). My approach on well detected pasture is to use all the ID methods to decide when not to dig something. If it’s a positive signal which isn’t clearly junk or if there is any doubt at all then dig it. Loud signals are obvious but listen out for quieter ones as these may be deep targets. Multiple targets can give unexpected sounds or numbers. Some similar looking targets might be very different metals and give different target IDs e.g. shotgun caps.

There are some functions, like the profile and backlight which you can work out for yourself. Remember that all the settings on the Nox work together so changing something might affect it differently than you expect. Be wary of accidentally pressing buttons. Once you are familiar with the Nox you can usually tell when you have done this because the sounds change or the machine doesn’t behave like you expected.

Finally don’t be afraid to experiment and if it all goes horribly wrong you always have the reset options available.

Best of luck, feel free to ask any questions and do let us know how you get on. ::g

First addition. I was reminded that if you use the large coil you might want to up the Response Speed by 1 or 2 in order to improve the pinpointing a bit while you get used to it! Thanks Barry! ::g

Second addition. There was a question in another thread about the accracy of the numerical ID. This was my response. The number shown can vary a bit with the mode and the settings used and even more with the depth and orientation of the target, and also probably with other factors. The numerical target ID is not much good on its own anyway unless you are after shallowish coins as too many things give exactly the same number. Also good targets, say hammered coins or rings, can fall in many different numbers. The ID numbers are probably best used combined with 50 tones and lots of experience but many people just rely on the tones plus the 'feel' of the target.
Last edited by fred on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:36 am, edited 8 times in total.

Equinox 800 x2

SuperRed

Re: A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1.

Post by SuperRed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06 am

You are a true gentleman Fred! Well done ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Junior

Post by Junior » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 am

Just looked at it......it's epic....I'll put the kettle on then read it ...just photed it and save it for when I get one ::g rl; ..cheers ::g
Last edited by Junior on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smithfire

Post by Smithfire » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 am

Wish this was easily extrapolated into a 600!

Clive

fred

Post by fred » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:20 am

Junior wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 am
Just looked at it......it's epic....I'll put the kettle on then read it ...cheers ::g
Fraid so, however the manual is 66 pages long so it was never going to be a limerick! :D Perhaps something stronger might be in order to get you through the ordeal. ::g
Last edited by fred on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

fred

Post by fred » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 am

Smithfire wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 am
Wish this was easily extrapolated into a 600!

Clive

It pretty well is but you need to use the comparison charts in the manual to see what the settings equate to e.g. Iron Bias 3 on the 800 is between 1 and 2 on the 600. I'd try 1 and up it if I still felt that I was digging too much iron. ::g
Last edited by fred on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:14 am

I've cut and paste all that to Word. Cheers Fred. ::g
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks Fred good write up. ::g
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:32 am

Well done Fred, excellent write up and very useful
I have just purchased the Nox, and being an old school Etrac user a few years back then i already like what i see and hear with the nox
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Swany

Post by Swany » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:56 pm

This is excellent, thanks for taking the time to write and post, going to get the Nox out now and have a play, I think my settings are pretty much the same, but haven't used the 50 tones yet, will set this up now and try tomorrow ::g
Equinox 800
2 x CTX 3030
GPX 5000

peteh

Post by peteh » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Excellent post Fred %&*= %&*= %&*=
T2 classic, GP Pointer and a bucket full of optimism :D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Many thanks Fred, ::g Despite not yet being a user of the model, I found your 'brief guide' on the 'Nox' 800, to be both helpful, enjoyable and easily understood. I'm sure it'll be well received by new and potential user's alike or those like myself, who like to keep an eye on any 'interesting' looking machines' which seem to be gaining in popularity among detectorists.
All the best - Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Thanks for that write up Fred. I'm going to do a bit of experimenting on my latest site ::g
Derbyshire based concealed junk removal operative.
Hammered (see Opportunity Nox Day 1)

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Fred's Settings:
Field 1
Sensitivity (21)
All Metal (on)
Volume Adjust (25)
Target Tone (50)
Recovery Speed (3)

Thanks Fred, I have just loaded this into my old Nox, and shall report back after my dig on Saturday, my pockets laden with Saxon gold ::g :D

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

fred

Post by fred » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:38 pm
Fred's Settings:
Field 1
Sensitivity (21)
All Metal (on)
Volume Adjust (25)
Target Tone (50)
Recovery Speed (3)

Thanks Fred, I have just loaded this into my old Nox, and shall report back after my dig on Saturday, my pockets laden with Saxon gold ::g :D

BM [:)
Best of luck! I reckon AS tremisses will probably hit quite low, possibly around 7. I'll try and get one tomorrow to confirm. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Hairyhands

Post by Hairyhands » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Great advice

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Good write up Fred . Its not going to be much use to me as I`m not a Minelab user , but its obviously going to help others along that are. ::g

fred

Post by fred » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Bors wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 pm
Good write up Fred . Its not going to be much use to me as I`m not a Minelab user , but its obviously going to help others along that are. ::g
There's time yet! ::g I have seen some rather surprising converts recently. :D
Equinox 800 x2

deepdig

Re: A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1. Plus 1 addition

Post by deepdig » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:38 pm

Nice one Fred your a star wished you lived round the corner.
Regards Alan.

Luke Grey

Post by Luke Grey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi Fred,

Great write up like others have said. Really appreciate the time and effort you have put into the posting.

I can see you’ve taken much thought and effort in compiling each and every sentence and there is something to lean from each one. Thanks.

I’ve been out, find a target and before I dig it up I play with a lot of settings (except noise, Freq, ground, you know the static ones).

Surprising how sensitive the Nox is and how a few adjustments can miss it or find it easily.

I do tend to run iron bios at 0 on the beach at the mo.

I run the threshold now like I do on the Excalibur 2. Slight hum.

Haven’t sussed the numbers while beach detecting to be honest. I now listen for the tone and try and visualise the size of the target.

Found a ww1 Shell the other day. Knew I had to dig it by it’s tone, not numbers.

Still learning though.

You should run classes and if it’s not a monetary thing for yourself, sure they’d buy you lunch !

I would !

Very best regards & again thanks for the post.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Excellent write up Fred.
May I suggest, for the convenience of future new users, that this post is entered in the Equinox section as a ‘sticky’ so it can’t be overlooked :D

Luke Grey

Post by Luke Grey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:48 pm
Excellent write up Fred.
May I suggest, for the convenience of future new users, that this post is entered in the Equinox section as a ‘sticky’ so it can’t be overlooked :D
Excellent idea..

So much to learn from Fred’s post.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:48 pm

A very good easy guide in layman's terms. ::g
To Ground balance correctly you need to be in all-metal and find a spot where there is no iron feedback at all, but where this is not possible just leave at 0 or whatever you you feel is about right from other nearby land.
My settings are generally the same as Fred's, I mainly use Field 1 and my ground is quite mild so can normally use 25 sensitivity but lower a bit if sparky after ground balancing. Under power-lines if Multi-frequency gets noisy then switch to a single frequency of say 20khz to quieten it down. On my old pasture I often adjust the Recovery speed and Iron bias to suit conditions as some areas have abundant iron whilst others are clear.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Stillburning

Post by Stillburning » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 am

Great to have this summary Fred ::g
fred wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:59 am
Be wary of accidentally pressing buttons.
Having bought my Nox secondhand I was disappointed with the battery life and wondered whether this was why the previous owner had sold it - it lasted a lot longer when I turned the backlight off!
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

Doyoudigitman

Post by Doyoudigitman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:02 am

hi stillburning how long is your battery lasting? I can run my machine all day no problems,I don't use the the backlight tho!! I'm in the habit after each day's detecting to plug both units on charge,I never have any problems ::g

fred

Post by fred » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:40 am

Doyoudigitman wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:02 am
hi stillburning how long is your battery lasting? I can run my machine all day no problems,I don't use the the backlight tho!! I'm in the habit after each day's detecting to plug both units on charge,I never have any problems ::g
I charge exactly like you and, like stillburning I certainly noticed that the backlight eats power. Mind you I have never had cause to deliberately use it yet. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:25 am

If you fear you will run out of battery life whilst out in the field go from multi frequency to single frequency 20kHz. the single frequency uses a lot less juice!

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:48 am

No probs for me with the battery life. 8hrs in the field is more than enough for me and the battery could go on much longer. I don't ever use the backlight though, so that could well be the killer.

The set up I've arrived at is surprising close to yours, Fred. Mine is one notch higher on sensitivity and recovery, but that's about all that's different ::g

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:28 pm

A great write up Fred, I’m not a natural when it comes to adjusting settings, especially when out in the field.
If you ever fancy a few days free b&b in Devon in return for a couple of hours tuition on my permission please let me know. ::g

Tony

Crocket

Post by Crocket » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:40 pm

I agree with you Fred about using the all metal button it does go deeper , thanks for the tip Fred

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”