MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
chesters4
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Surrey
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by chesters4 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:55 pm

i have been using the equinox for a year now and unfortunately it seems to mention another detector
usually gets the post deleted for strange reasons i cannot fathom?.(how can you compare anything if you cannot use a comparison?) isnt that how people form an opinion?
been detecting since 1974 and owned and used 50+ machines in that time and had there been a way of isolating EMI manually i would have done it believe me, having to restrict a multi-frequency detector to just one frequency because a fence drives it crazy seems a big step backwards.
more tones doesn't mean more accuracy it just means more different tones when the machine thinks a ring pull is XX then it thinks the next one is YY and the equinox registers ring-pulls from 11 to 25 going by my experience and don't mention coke, tiny coke!

Non-repairable is just that it cannot be repaired once the warranty is up and they won't be repairing them under warranty they will be binned and a new box issued,once your warranty is up and it breaks you bin it and buy a new one (good business ploy), in one of my posts i brought back to life a machine a decades-old machine you won't be doing that with an equinox just prising it apart does damage as can be seen online (can we mention there are other places?)
as to the ancient machine, it works just as good as it did (not so flashy but physics still works today as it did then depth-wise)

big companies seem to forget its users that keep them in business and the user should come first, software shouldn't be just used to fix a problem it should be used to improve the user experience, many people prefer 3 or 4 tones so why not just update the choice because they can and keep the user sweet ?
i am not anti equinox i am anti bad manufacturer and designer and mostly the hype that surrounds it



Oldman2
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:31 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Oldman2 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:56 am

Chatter on a USA minelab forum suggests there is another software update v2.0 due to be released.

If its real....

Google translate of a Russian forums quote from a new flyer.

Based on the data received from Equinox users from around the world, some software adjustments were made to improve the operation of the basic functions of the device. In addition, smoother backlighting has been made possible for the Minelab Equinox 600.
Now the EQUINOX 600 has a function to adjust the backlight brightness - “Low”, corresponding to the minimum backlight level of the EQUINOX 800.
And, probably, the most anticipated - thanks to the addition of a new settings profile, the advanced Iron Indicator feature has become available.
The initial settings of the Iron Indicator EQUINOX (Fe) will also be available, but now it is possible to switch to the new setting Fe 2. When turned on, a wider range of iron targets is cut off from the search, including and bottle caps.

Dont shoot the messenger if its a hoax!
Minelab Equinox 800

Irish jay
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Irish jay » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 pm

I watched a video.on YouTube earlier of a guy testing out the new software on the nox 800. Can't for the life of me find it now.

Beep bloop
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Beep bloop » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm

I have literally just bought a Nox today, would it be the latest version?
I’m doing the initial 4 hour charge as I type so I do not want to turn it on, does it mention what version it’s running when I power on?

Thanks

User avatar
Buriedbytime&dust
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Location: Suffolk
Has thanked: 250 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:41 pm

Beep bloop wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm
I have literally just bought a Nox today, would it be the latest version?
I’m doing the initial 4 hour charge as I type so I do not want to turn it on, does it mention what version it’s running when I power on?

Thanks


Yours will almost certainly be updated. You can always check on the ML update page - it'll tell you if it is or not when you connect your machine.

Beep bloop
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Beep bloop » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:41 pm
Beep bloop wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm
I have literally just bought a Nox today, would it be the latest version?
I’m doing the initial 4 hour charge as I type so I do not want to turn it on, does it mention what version it’s running when I power on?

Thanks


Yours will almost certainly be updated. You can always check on the ML update page - it'll tell you if it is or not when you connect your machine.
Ah ok, thanks. Maybe in future updates Minelab could add the version number, it would make sense.
I will plug in and see later, you never know how old the stock is when you get a detector.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1527 times
Been thanked: 2951 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Easylife » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Beep bloop
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Beep bloop » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 pm

As of today with a new Nox I can confirm that the latest software is installed as standard, at least mine was.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1527 times
Been thanked: 2951 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Easylife » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:44 am

Beep bloop wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 pm
As of today with a new Nox I can confirm that the latest software is installed as standard, at least mine was.
So which version is that? x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 1067 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Saffron » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:31 am

The Russian site that Oldman2 qoutes above claims the information is from Minelab, so as it matches bits on US sites is likely to be correct.

But what he did not qoute was the release date, or more accurately lack of, "The exact date has not yet been announced" ... I will not hold my breath but please wake me up it is.

It will be interesting to see how the new setting Fe 2 works. But I was hoping for changes that could enable me to find more good targets ..... but I suppose if you dig less "bad" targets like bottle tops it gives more searching time which might result in good finds.

Evan

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1527 times
Been thanked: 2951 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Easylife » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:18 am

Saffron wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:31 am
I was hoping for changes that could enable me to find more good targets ..... but I suppose if you dig less "bad" targets like bottle tops it gives more searching time which might result in good finds.
But at what cost to deep iffy good targets would bottle cap and greater iron rejection be? Possibly better for the beach? But any extra options are good to have and could be useful in certain situations. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Beep bloop
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Beep bloop » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 am

Easylife wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:44 am
Beep bloop wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 pm
As of today with a new Nox I can confirm that the latest software is installed as standard, at least mine was.
So which version is that? x;
1.7.5 is the software number

Irish jay
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Irish jay » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:46 am

Beep bloop wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 am
Easylife wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:44 am
Beep bloop wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 pm
As of today with a new Nox I can confirm that the latest software is installed as standard, at least mine was.
So which version is that? x;
1.7.5 is the software number

I think the new software version is 2.0 or 2.0.1

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Dangerous Norman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:07 am

The latest update is now on the minelab site. Says 2.0 but shows in the mmu as 2.1.12.

Update here https://www.minelab.com/equinox-software-update-2-0. make sure you download the new MUU and don't use the one that came with ver 1.7.5

User avatar
littleboot
Posts: 3181
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Normandy (the cider and cheese area)
Has thanked: 1131 times
Been thanked: 2010 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by littleboot » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:17 am

Oh Gawd. I hate this faffing around with software updates. I like it just as it is and if it ain't broke I don't need to fix it.
As for any new options for getting rid of more iron signals....I hardly use the ones I have. I don't dig lots of iron...just enough (you have to dig some or you miss good stuff).
I am not going to bother to be honest. I am in a nice groove with my Nox, have it set up as I want for my permissions and don't want to risk throwing everything out of whack.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Beep bloop
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Beep bloop » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:54 am

Crikey, I only updated yesterday to the newest firmware, I haven’t even had a chance to swing the thing and there’s another update?

In two minds about this. You here stories of things going awry in new updates but in my circumstances I am brand new to the machine, ideally I should have the latest firmware whilst learning the ropes with it...hmm

Beep bloop
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Beep bloop » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:55 am

Irish jay wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:46 am
Beep bloop wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 am
Easylife wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:44 am

So which version is that? x;
1.7.5 is the software number

I think the new software version is 2.0 or 2.0.1
Tuesday it wasn’t lol.

User avatar
Blackadder43
Admin
Posts: 10930
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 1223 times
Been thanked: 1159 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:01 am

Beep bloop wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:54 am
Crikey, I only updated yesterday to the newest firmware, I haven’t even had a chance to swing the thing and there’s another update?

In two minds about this. You here stories of things going awry in new updates but in my circumstances I am brand new to the machine, ideally I should have the latest firmware whilst learning the ropes with it...hmm
Beep Bloop
You will do no harm leaving your machine just as it is
This update is not a crucial one, its just added some tweaks from what we can gather

Your machine will act perfectly well as it is now
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Pete E
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm
Location: North Wales
Has thanked: 472 times
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Pete E » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:05 am

Hopefully future updates will offer more significant enhancements/improvements to the Nox series to keep the machines competitive as other company's introduce newer/better models.
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

User avatar
skythepig
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:22 pm
Location: Bude
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by skythepig » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:08 am

Hi jumped in and completed the upgrade.....but am I missing something?
Where is the setting for the new FE 2 to be found?
Had a look through all the settings and cannot see it.
The latest manual from minelab doesn't mention it.
Was hoping to try it out this afternoon.
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Beep bloop
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Beep bloop » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:08 am

Blackadder43 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:01 am
Beep bloop wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:54 am
Crikey, I only updated yesterday to the newest firmware, I haven’t even had a chance to swing the thing and there’s another update?

In two minds about this. You here stories of things going awry in new updates but in my circumstances I am brand new to the machine, ideally I should have the latest firmware whilst learning the ropes with it...hmm
Beep Bloop
You will do no harm leaving your machine just as it is
This update is not a crucial one, its just added some tweaks from what we can gather

Your machine will act perfectly well as it is now
::g
Wise words, I concur. The patch notes mention iron bias has been tweaked. If I was running a 600 I would definitely update as they mention a newly added back light option, which obviously effects battery life, so good news for 600 owners.

As I have the 800 I will be leaving it for a moment.

User avatar
Blackadder43
Admin
Posts: 10930
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 1223 times
Been thanked: 1159 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:10 am

skythepig wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:08 am
Hi jumped in and completed the upgrade.....but am I missing something?
Where is the setting for the new FE 2 to be found?
Had a look through all the settings and cannot see it.
The latest manual from minelab doesn't mention it.
Was hoping to try it out this afternoon.
I havent downloaded it
But
I imagine if you scroll to the iron bias setting, then keep your finger down on that setting button it will cycle to the FE2 settings
Same as others on there too ::g
Some settings have 2 screens with alternate settings

Be carefull though, notching out bottle tops will probably also notch out hammered coins
This tweak in my opinion is designed for the USA market, not the UK market
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

User avatar
skythepig
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:22 pm
Location: Bude
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by skythepig » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:13 am

Exactly what I thought as well but that setting just flips between Recovery and Iron Bias...still looking?
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Dangerous Norman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:21 am

skythepig wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:13 am
Exactly what I thought as well but that setting just flips between Recovery and Iron Bias...still looking?
You go on to the FE setting then press accept/reject button and it flips to F2, another press and it's back to FE.
Last edited by Dangerous Norman on Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Dangerous Norman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:23 am

Updated manual here https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/408020/EQUINOX 600 800 Instruction Manual (EN)

User avatar
skythepig
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:22 pm
Location: Bude
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by skythepig » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:24 am

Found FE 2.
Switch to Iron Bias then press Accept/Reject button and it shows FE 2 setting.
Had my Iron Bias set to 4 on switching to FE2 it straight away jumps to 6.
Hopefully will get out on the old camping field today which is littered with bottle tops so will see if there is any difference in performance.
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

User avatar
Blackadder43
Admin
Posts: 10930
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 1223 times
Been thanked: 1159 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:33 am

u;@
If you are not expecting to find hammered coins and some silvers then go for it
If by some miracle Minelab have found a way to notch bottle tops out and keep hammered coins in then that would be a game changer
Alas i think though this setting is designed and targeted for the American market
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Pete E
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm
Location: North Wales
Has thanked: 472 times
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Pete E » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:51 am

skythepig wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:24 am
.
Switch to Iron Bias then press Accept/Reject button and it shows FE 2 setting.
Had my Iron Bias set to 4 on switching to FE2 it straight away jumps to 6..
So what the difference between simply staying in Fe and switching Iron Bias up to 6 manually?
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Dangerous Norman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:58 am

Pete E wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:51 am
skythepig wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:24 am
.
Switch to Iron Bias then press Accept/Reject button and it shows FE 2 setting.
Had my Iron Bias set to 4 on switching to FE2 it straight away jumps to 6..
So what the difference between simply staying in Fe and switching Iron Bias up to 6 manually?
From what I understand F2 is a different algorithm to FE in the same way as field 1 is different to field 2 even if you set all the settings exactly the same.
Last edited by Dangerous Norman on Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheAndyA
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:01 pm
Has thanked: 748 times
Been thanked: 251 times
Contact:

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by TheAndyA » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:04 pm

This apparently.
FE2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.youtube.com/c/terraenglandia
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

Post Reply

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”