MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Blackadder43
Admin

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Blackadder43 »

My first thoughts for UK users, especially new folk to the Nox range is the default settings

Am i to assume that the default of 6 is an active default?
What i mean is if you dont change that number then if you hunt in Field 1 then this secondary setting will be set at 6?
Or does that screen have to be an active visible screen for the machine to use the default of 6?

To be safe "If" i download this update the first thing i will do is set it back to zero again

I dont blame anyone who uses the bias settings, but some folk are very old school and i like to hear stuff, and masking or Biasing can affect how the machine sees deep, on the machines edge of depth good targets...

When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman »

I missed that info when I looked through the updated manual, Cheers Andy

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

Thanks Gents...It will be interesting to see how this works on this side of the pond...
Equinox 800
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

What BA says. It seems to me to be for the US market where most searchers see digging any iron at all a 'fail'. They have been constantly moaning about the iron and so ML no doubt felt they should offer this. OK for trashy over-searched parks I suppose. Totally useless here. Unless,of course,you don't want to dig a hammy ever again so long as you don't have to dig bottle tops
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

Wise words, I concur. The patch notes mention iron bias has been tweaked. If I was running a 600 I would definitely update as they mention a newly added back light option, which obviously effects battery life, so good news for 600 owners.

As I have the 800 I will be leaving it for a moment.
Not this 600 owner. I never use it so I save even more. Lol.

Oldman2

Post by Oldman2 »

There are a couple of youtube videos up of the upgrade on a bottle top, both ways up.
Minelab Equinox 800

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA »

If only there were a setting to knock out flipping 4 Hole Buttons, but without the risk of losing the other good stuff. :D
www.youtube.com/c/terraenglandia
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

fred

Post by fred »

Oldman2 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:18 pm
There are a couple of youtube videos up of the upgrade on a bottle top, both ways up.
How the heck can you knock out bottletops? They come in a huge range of metal combinations. :)
Equinox 800 x2

MrLysol

Post by MrLysol »

fred wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:21 pm
Oldman2 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:18 pm
How the heck can you knock out bottletops? They come in a huge range of metal combinations. :)
I might well be wrong, but the way I read it was that it would help to identify bottletops more easily rather than notching them out ? Apparently by moving in to FE2 bottletops will have a more iron grunt and the numbers will be more erratic.
Nox 800, X-pointer probe and bags of enthusiasm :-)

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

Surely that will depend on the metal content of the bottle top beneath the coil??? x;
I do so wish youtube wasn't awash with people spouting over-complicated nonsense.
Its called metal detecting...we get a signal according to the shape, size and conductivity of the object we detect. That is actually a lot of variables. I have never understood the obsessive desire to find a 'solution' to this. It doesn't exist. That is all part of the fun. Its about judgement and interpretation and digging anything, including bottle tops, that well could be something better.
No patience with the faffing around looking for fixes to things that are not problems with a machine but part and parcel of metal detecting. 8-|
The Nox is brilliantly simple. Most of the time it's the user, and their ears, that need to upgrade. My 600 finds some nice stuff for me. And that is partly because I dig lots of iffy signals that could be things like bottle tops (and often are) instead of wasting time trying to edit them out.

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

Q:"How the heck can you knock out bottletops?"

This "bottle top issue" is about steel 'crown' bottle tops, which have the annoying tendency to not ID as steel/iron, probably because they are plated in a thin layer of some non-ferrous metal, though the particular shape seems relevant, too. Maybe it's the wrinkly edge causing false signals in the way the pointy ends of nails can do, or maybe it's the 'flat iron' issue? But park hunters no doubt come across loads of them, in varying states of rustiness, and they don't want to dig them.
Users of the Fisher F75 will know it has a special BC (bottle cap) user mode that helps ID the things, so there are techniques that can help deal with the issue. They have some particular characteristics resulting from their mixed ferrous/non-ferrous make up, which can be identified to some extent. The Equinox examines targets at three frequencies, which perhaps provides more opportunities to ID these bottletops.

And from what I've read, DD coils seem far worse affected by them compared to the Concentric type.
Last edited by Fusion on Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

In my opinion it is always a good idea to let others do updates/buy brand new models first, then scrutinise Youtube for reactions.
;)

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

littleboot wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:49 pm
Surely that will depend on the metal content of the bottle top beneath the coil??? x;
I do so wish youtube wasn't awash with people spouting over-complicated nonsense.
Its called metal detecting...we get a signal according to the shape, size and conductivity of the object we detect. That is actually a lot of variables. I have never understood the obsessive desire to find a 'solution' to this. It doesn't exist. That is all part of the fun. Its about judgement and interpretation and digging anything, including bottle tops, that well could be something better.
No patience with the faffing around looking for fixes to things that are not problems with a machine but part and parcel of metal detecting. 8-|
The Nox is brilliantly simple. Most of the time it's the user, and their ears, that need to upgrade. My 600 finds some nice stuff for me. And that is partly because I dig lots of iffy signals that could be things like bottle tops (and often are) instead of wasting time trying to edit them out.
Agree 100%, we went on a rally a few weeks back and there was shall we say, an abundance of cow tubes?, A fellow Nox owner demonstrated how he had managed to notch them out. What can you say? 8-|

Not sure if he found much after that..............

Ruffers22

Post by Ruffers22 »

Hi All,

I've been away for a couple of weeks,so itching to get out this weekend. :-SS

I downloaded the latest software update to my NOX last night and was wondering, does this specifically just help with crown bottle tops? or would it also help me on a permission I have that is infested with shotgun caps?

Thanks.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

Ruffers22 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am
Hi All
I downloaded the latest software update to my NOX last night and was wondering, does this specifically just help with crown bottle tops? or would it also help me on a permission I have that is infested with shotgun caps?

Thanks.
The best way is to do what i have been doing and switch between the 2 before you dig any signals you find
Then once you know what the target is you can see if FE2 made any difference to its response etc
So far i have only noticed very small differences with some iron targets that would not have made a difference to my ears if i had just been using FE2

So at the moment for me it looks like the FE2 setting does exactly what it says and deals with the caps, but has little effect (that i can see or find) on general ferrous targets

But still experimenting as it takes just a few seconds to switch between the 2 and listen... ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Ruffers22

Post by Ruffers22 »

Blackadder43 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 am
Ruffers22 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am
Hi All

Thanks.
The best way is to do what i have been doing and switch between the 2 before you dig any signals you find
Then once you know what the target is you can see if FE2 made any difference to its response etc
So far i have only noticed very small differences with some iron targets that would not have made a difference to my ears if i had just been using FE2

So at the moment for me it looks like the FE2 setting does exactly what it says and deals with the caps, but has little effect (that i can see or find) on general ferrous targets

But still experimenting as it takes just a few seconds to switch between the 2 and listen... ::g
Thanks for the advice Blackadder I'll give it a try, hopefully tomorrow.
I don't really have a problem with bottle tops on what is a really interesting permission, but the Shotgun caps are the bane of my life ;;z

fred

Post by fred »

Ruffers22 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:31 am

I don't really have a problem with bottle tops on what is a really interesting permission, but the Shotgun caps are the bane of my life ;;z

As you are probably already shotgun caps vary considerably, both in metal composition and size. I find that on some of my sites when I am detecting in All Metal about 80% of the cartridges come in at about 13 with definite iron around the edges. The rotted out centres come in a bit lower but are also quite obvious as long as they have iron still attached to them. These can all fairly safely be ignored unless you are trying to clear the site. The other caps just have to be dug. :D
Equinox 800 x2

tommyb

Post by tommyb »

FE2 is not just for bottle tops. FE2 set at 0 = FE at minus 1 iron bias. so anyone like me that runs
FE at 0. can now use a lower iron bias than you could before.

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

And FE2 at 6 = FE at 9 (Iron bias maxed out)! :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

jfb

Post by jfb »

Hi I had the update done for my larger coil just got the 6in coil do I have to do another update for this coil .thanks in advance for help.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 »

jfb wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:31 pm
Hi I had the update done for my larger coil just got the 6in coil do I have to do another update for this coil .thanks in advance for help.
Hi, no it’s just the control box, there is no change to the software in the coil, unlike a Deus

Dave ):=
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11", 6” Coils
XP Deus v3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

nordic

Post by nordic »

Minelab says connect and go, no need to update the firmware for each coil.
However, I'm not sure if original firmware 1.5 correctly supports coils other than 11". This firmware was there before coil options become available, if I understand correctly.

Also, ML says to have the coil connected when updating the firmware?

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman »

nordic wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:37 am
Minelab says connect and go, no need to update the firmware for each coil.
However, I'm not sure if original firmware 1.5 correctly supports coils other than 11". This firmware was there before coil options become available, if I understand correctly.

Also, ML says to have the coil connected when updating the firmware?
I believe the only reason you have to connect the coil is the control box needs the coil on to work correctly. I see no reason why the original firmware would need to be updated just for a larger coil.

onions

Post by onions »

When I've updated my 800, looking in the address bar at the top, it says minelab/usa. Will this make a difference, and is there a UK one? Thanks in advance, and hope everyone has a great 2020 with plenty of good luck.
Onions.

P.s. I've just learned via youtube that updates can be rolled back to previous versions, by connecting your detector and then clicking on the 3 dots at the bottom right hand side of the screen. Here it gives options to re install previous software versions. I'm sure people will know this but just in case anyone needs it.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman »

onions wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:16 pm
the address bar at the top, it says minelab/usa. Will this make a difference, and is there a UK one?

We are only a small country, they don't care about us :D so no, no difference ::g

BM [:)

Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71

nordic

Post by nordic »

onions wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:16 pm
P.s. I've just learned via youtube that updates can be rolled back to previous versions, by connecting your detector and then clicking on the 3 dots at the bottom right hand side of the screen. Here it gives options to re install previous software versions. I'm sure people will know this but just in case anyone needs it.
I believe most probably know this already. It is a great thought by ML to make this possible. Each of their firmware revisions perform a little different, but one needs to spend considerable time with the detector to notice.

Dom

Post by Dom »

tommyb wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:19 pm
FE2 is not just for bottle tops. FE2 set at 0 = FE at minus 1 iron bias. so anyone like me that runs
Wait....what?
If so that might give slightly better depth being 0 fe2 = -1 Fe?
I usually detect with 0 Fe of late how will -1 Fe affect performance?
Less masking?
Jeez.... too many questions...
Equinox 600, GM5+ and a broken Deus Lite :(

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Would be noisy :D

tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Dom wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:19 am
tommyb wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:19 pm
Wait....what?
If so that might give slightly better depth being 0 fe2 = -1 Fe?
I usually detect with 0 Fe of late how will -1 Fe affect performance?
Less masking?
Jeez.... too many questions...
yes that's right less masking also F2 set at 1 = minus 0.75. 2= 0.50 3= 0.25 . so lots to play around with.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”