littleboot

Re: New XP Pointer...

Post by littleboot » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 am

If you see what I mean. ;)
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:47 pm

I rarely use a pinpointer since having the Deus, I find easy to grab a handful and move it over the coil, rarely it's left in the side of the hole where pinpointing is needed or in pasture where the grass roots tie it all together I tend to use a pointer but splitting it with a trowel there's the danger of hitting the object, if the XP pointer is better at accurately locating it then maybe a good choice, but only for that reason. Not rushing to buy one for the sake of having one

Regards Steve

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Stillburning wrote:Mine arrived yesterday and had a great day out with it today.

First thoughts on receiving it is why is there a lanyard supplied as there does not seem to be a way of attaching it?

Pairing with the Deus remote was very easy as was navigating the menu once paired. After a bit of experimenting I dropped the tone down to 600 and used pulse rather than pitch as that was the easiest on my ears. I also changed the sensitivity to 40, after doing this the first time though I forgot to press to save so the next time I turned it on it reset to factory default settings but very quick to change again and save.

I was using it in freshly planted land and winkling out small silver down to cut quarters/farthings so checking every squeak from the Deus. the MI-6 was better than the Garrett pro pointer and Detecnix Xpointer that I had previously used. The Garrett was just too temperamental and the Xpointer whilst better than the Garrett always defaults to least sensitive when turned off and to get to maximum sensitivity (still less than the MI-6 on 40) you had to hold one button down and push the other 4 times.

In practical terms it meant that as soon as I heard a faint squeak with the Deus I turned on the pinpointer scanned the area and most of the time it found the target straight away - with the Xpointer I would have to scrape away the top layer with my boot before adjusting the sensitivity and scanning.

I am reasonably good at pin pointing with the coil anyway and using the MI-6 made it very fast to find the target and with minimum soil disturbance which is a big factor on newly planted ground especially once the pre-emergent herbicide has been sprayed.

Very nice not to have any inteferance with the coil when in use, there is also no noticeable delay when swapping between the coil and remote and in any case the sensitivity meant I rarely needed to rescan the area with the coil anyway.

The only small criticism is that ergonomically whenever I took it out for use (with my left hand) without looking it seemed most comfortable with the on off switch on the left hand side so had to turn it to use my thumb on the switch, but no doubt I will get used to this.

Overall I'm very pleased with it ::g
Thought there was no lanyard connection point first of all too. But it's on the cap rim - a hole built in that you attach the lanyard to. Ruins your finger nails though LOL! I've paired mine but not got out in the field with it yet - can"t wait!

Thanks for the great write up. You didn't mention the holder which I'm very impressed with. was worried it would be another thing to weigh my belt down with but love the fact the clip can attach anywhere. I've found a brilliant space on my finds pouch. Be gutted if I loose it though so hope you can get replacements if I ever was unfortunate enough to loose it.
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

Stillburning

Post by Stillburning » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for the great write up
Thanks Oxgirl, glad somebody liked it :))

Thanks for the explanation on the lanyard.

I've given up trying to us holster type holders as on my ground when it is wet everything gets so coated in sticky clay what starts off as a snug fit soon becomes impossible to get in. I use a market traders type leather apron with seperate pouches for pinpointer/digging tool/scrap that fits everything comfortably and is easy to empty out once dry (or scrape out if still wet!).

The holder supplied will be kept safe so if you ever need a replacement let me know ::g
I rarely use a pinpointer since having the Deus, I find easy to grab a handful and move it over the coil
The problem again with the soil I dig in is if you grab a handful you have a sticky ball of clay, and when you try to put down the part of the sticky ball the target is not in most of that sticks to your hands/gloves, and by the time you are down to a finger nail size piece you still cant still see the small target, and then everything you touch - the detector, spade, digging tool picks up a coating of clay, repeat a few times and you are in a right flippin mess ;;z

Thats why I use a pinpointer, but I can see it would be a different scenario if the soil is different especially if sandy/peaty ::g
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:58 pm

I know some fear change, it’s a natural human trait, well-known phrases spring to mind such as “don’t fix what’s not broken” etc, but another, much stronger human urge is progression.
Yes, there may be a few examples where old variations may be better, but a much larger percentage of examples exist where innovative ideas and designs are far better.

A classic “that’ll never take off” was when Alexander Graham Bell said that “One day…. Every town and city will have one of these”, of course he was referring to the telephone.

I’m sure we all agree that the reviews are there to assist in making any future decisions regarding in which way we decide to eventually turn.
Regarding the reviews and hype; I’ve never been swayed by frenzied “blurb”, as per usual, it is the in-depth research that usually results in the right decision.

This post is centred on the new XP MI-6 probe so, in fairness, this reply relates to that piece of kit.
I have the Garrett AT probe which is a superb tool indeed. I now have the MI-6 probe which, in my mind, is a perfect fit with the XP wireless philosophy.
Now, the ability to hear the probe through the ‘phones is a step in the right direction. How many have had the problems of wind noise and extraneous sounds? Besides, using the MI-6 in this manner results in a 90-hour battery life which should suffice for many trips out.
In a curt way, I have the best of both worlds with the Garrett being a fantastic back-up probe.

I also understand those that prefer not to use a probe at all.
This is what is so good about this world, you have a choice, whatever the reason.
Sometimes, that reason may change, so again, you have a choice.

We’re out this weekend to continue the V4 and HF coil assessment with the added trial of the MI-6 probe to report on.
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

brian43

Post by brian43 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Fully agree with many posts here. The only reason I would consider the expense of the XP pointer is that to be able to hear it through the headphones would be a great help now that my hearing appears to be lets say not as good as it was! Sometimes, especially on windy days and near busy roads,I have problems hearing other pointers.

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:24 pm

brian43 wrote:Fully agree with many posts here. The only reason I would consider the expense of the XP pointer is that to be able to hear it through the headphones would be a great help now that my hearing appears to be lets say not as good as it was! Sometimes, especially on windy days and near busy roads,I have problems hearing other pointers.
Again Brian, you've hit the nail on the head as you have been quite frank about your hearing ability and the advantage the MI-6 would offer you.
Even with "good" hearing, it can be difficult to hear the audio response from a probe.
When you say "I have a problem hearing other pointers" I take it you have used several different makes and models?
This in itself gives you justification in acquiring the MI-6 as you could always sell your other probes.
I said to my other half about selling the Garrett AT Probe to fund the MI-6..... she just said "...and why would you want to do that?" :D
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:29 pm

I am always interested to see new things come onto the market and if I think they will suit my purpose, I am not adverse to buying them. That of course, is as as long as they are not ridiculously expensive which sadly, I believe the XP pointer to be. Attitudes have certainly changed since the early days of detecting back in the 1970s, a time when the magazines were full of tips on how to save money by making one's own accessories by using bits of wood and wire etc.
Nowadays, the top manufacturers don't seem to be bothered by the prices of their items. Since the hobby became mainstream, they know that there will be enough people out there willing to pay whatever they ask. Detectorists are desperate for anything that they believe will increase their chances of making good finds similar to those they see shown on the forums and in the magazines.
As littleboot says, having good land to go on in the first place and understanding one's detector, of whatever vintage, are crucial factors that will bring success to some degree. That said however, although I share littleboot's cautious attitude to manufacturers and all their hype (which was something which the wild advertising of the 70s taught us) I think its a mistake to be too sceptical of new innovations to the point that it makes one unwilling to try out different detectors and their accessories- if one can afford to do so. A little speculative outlay here and there, based on the trustworthy informed opinions of others, may not be such a bad thing and could bring dividends.
Although initially against the idea of forking out for a Deus, I eventually bought one and find its versatility and choice of frequencies and recovery speeds etc absolutely ideal for most of the sites that I go on. I wished that I had not held back but had bought one a couple of years before I actually did. I can judge whilst in the field whether its best to either quickly set it for maximum depth or change the settings so as to winkle out tiny objects in an iron infested area. I think its a mistake to stick to one old favourite detector all the time, no matter how well one thinks one understands it and I'm sure in the past, I must have left behind many good finds in the ground because I wasn't using a detector that was really ideally suitable for that site, though probably at the time I thought that it was.

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Heads up....
Price reduction on the XP MI-6 pinpointer, now at £139 from some suppliers, got mine last Sunday for the sum of £125 after an extra 10% off, got a protective cover to keep it clean for £8
Glad I waited a while and saved a few bob.

All paired and working great when testing it out in the garden, very impressive bit of kit and seamless connection with the controller and looking forward to using it when out next.

Regards Steve

Return to “XP MI-6 Pinpointer Forum”