Vk20 speaker fault

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
punkdaddy

Vk20 speaker fault

Post by punkdaddy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm

So I just bought my son a cheap second hand vk20 as he fancied coming out with me

Problem is the speaker only works when the headphones are connected

So I have no sound or both working simultaneously

Any suggestions?

Thanks

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Bukowski

TESORO GOLDEN SABER

sweepstick47

Re: Vk20 speaker fault

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 pm

If you're competent with basic DC wiring, you'll need to check the jack socket, jack plug and also ensure the speaker wires are not loose/shorting out whlst giving a general visual inspection for and obvious or potential faults. The alternative is to seek out a competent person to do this for you. Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Almost certainly the contacts on the phone jack have corroded.

Sometimes you can get them working again with some switch cleaner spray and inserting the headphones a few times. Sometimes not and a new jack will meet to be soldered in.

Don't use WD40 it dries sticky. It works in the short term but 9 times out of 10 it will fail shortly after and your back to square one.

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:44 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 pm
If you're competent with basic DC wiring, you'll need to check the jack socket, jack plug and also ensure the speaker wires are not loose/shorting out whlst giving a general visual inspection for and obvious or potential faults. The alternative is to seek out a competent person to do this for you. Regards ss47
Thanks. I did take some photos but the files were too big to attach to the thread...Will give this a go
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Bukowski

TESORO GOLDEN SABER

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Koala wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 pm
Almost certainly the contacts on the phone jack have corroded.

Sometimes you can get them working again with some switch cleaner spray and inserting the headphones a few times. Sometimes not and a new jack will meet to be soldered in.

Don't use WD40 it dries sticky. It works in the short term but 9 times out of 10 it will fail shortly after and your back to square one.
Cheers. I have some contact cleaner I've used before. Will give it a go
Bukowski

TESORO GOLDEN SABER

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:12 pm

punkdaddy wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:44 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 pm
Thanks. I did take some photos but the files were too big to attach to the thread...Will give this a go
At the top of this page is a link to 'MDF Guide', click it and scroll down to 'Posting Pictures' which should provide the solution! Good Luck. Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Viking Forum”