Viking 5D Instructions

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
nigelr2000

Viking 5D Instructions

Post by nigelr2000 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi all my first post here. Picked up a viking 5D at the car boot and from what I have read they are Ok for a cheap detector. Only problem I have (apart from corroded battery contacts, new carriers on the way via ebay) is that I have no instructions on it. It has 2 knobs on the front marked off/tune and reject, also a little switch on the back which is a flick one as it doesn't stay switched on. I have tried it and it squeaks but the battery contacts are too unreliable to do anything meaningfull with it at the moment .

Anyone want to tell me how you set it up ?

Owain 1405

Re: Viking 5D Instructions

Post by Owain 1405 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Found this instruction manual online, but its very basic, might help http://www.metaldetectors.co.uk/downloa ... manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ::g
History is never black & white, just shades of grey

paul71

Post by paul71 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:02 pm

I started on the beach with a V5, i just turned the volume halfway then flipped a coin on
the sand and then adjusted the thresh to a low hum while over the coin, if your
going on a pebbly beach it does pick up the hot rocks unfortunately, but it found plenty of
coins at the same time, good luck with it ::g
Ace 250
Nel tornado 12x13
Draper mini shovel
Minelab explorer xs

nigelr2000

Post by nigelr2000 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Right got me new battery boxes and tried it out. Thanks for that link. It has Fine tune and reject on mine rather than threshold. I found the turning reject till it shut up then rotating fine till it was just started the tone I could then detect a 5p piece at about 2 inches whereas a gold ring was about 4 inches so good news there obviously this was in the front room rather than in real soil but it appears to prove it works which is the main thing :)

I still don't know what the switch on the back does though. :-/

craghopper

Post by craghopper » Tue May 13, 2014 11:12 pm

Try holding the flick switch while turning the tuning knob until you get a null in the sound ,tune for slightest hum and leave other knob[reject?] at minimum then release flick switch.Tune with coil approx 1 inch above ground in clear area not above a coin .If it drifts off tune just repeat action.I have a V6 but it has a retune button on top of control box not a flick switch.
Fisher F4/Viking V6
Roughneck shovel
Army folding shovel
Dobbies s/s spade
F I D member

nigelr2000

Post by nigelr2000 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Well tried the advice from Craghopper and went for a quick buzz round the lawn, got a target within seconds had a little dig about and found a USA nickel so result ::g Thanks for all the help now i will have to do a circuit of the beach after the holidaymakers go home on Monday i could end up rich =))

Return to “Viking Forum”