Taking the plunge

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
tonyp

Taking the plunge

Post by tonyp » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Well im back and after weeks and weeks of looking, bidding, out bids and didnt wins ,i finaly
took the plunge and bought a viking vk10 with my limited budget pickins were slim but got this yesterday.Brand new never used earphones included still boxed for wait for it 70 quid so now it all starts the biggest question for a newbie and its probably been asked before is, Where to start? So what im asking is your top 5 DOs and DONTs when starting out.

omegamike

Re: Taking the plunge

Post by omegamike » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:22 pm

DON'T expect to finds loads of coins, silver, gold, artefacts, Roman, Celtic, Medieval....... Go out with the attitude "If I find anything it's a bonus" otherwise you will be severely disappointed!
If in doubt...... DIG IT!

Philthy Phil

Post by Philthy Phil » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:28 pm

DO make sure you have gained permission prior to detecting on any land

................and.............

DO get yourself either FID or NCMD cover ::g
Minelabbed to the bone!

CTX 3030 with 'a few' coils
X-Terra 505 & many coils
Pro Find 35
2 metal knees
Trusty Zippo

Eagles may soar on high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Doyley

Post by Doyley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:15 pm

DO read through this forum in it's entirety (or until your eyes bleed at least). ;)

Don't give up! The first 10-15 times I went out I found nothing of any interest. I was starting to blame the machine blah blah blah... Last Sunday I found a Roman coin! ::g

tonyp

Post by tonyp » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanx guys for the advice i suppose in time I will get to know where to go and not to, as to getting cover do they have web sites where obtain it could you let me have them

Nice one doyley onthe roman coin ::g looking forward to my first find bet its a brummy screwdriver ( hammer) =))

Jason5223

Post by Jason5223 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Don't wear steel toe capped boots ::g
MINELAB X-TERRA 705
GARRATT PRO POINTER
"Once you locate an object you need to find it in the soil dug from the hole. The best tool for this is your buddy's pinpointer.  If your buddy does not own a pinpointer suggest that he buy one."

Pahuska

Post by Pahuska » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:35 pm

At this time of year don't eat the yellow snow. :D
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society

midas
Location: Junction27.M62.Nr LEEDS.W.Yorks.Ex Hunmanby.E.Yorks

Post by midas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 am

tonyp wrote:Well im back and after weeks and weeks of looking, bidding, out bids and didnt wins ,i finaly
took the plunge and bought a viking vk10 with my limited budget pickins were slim but got this yesterday.Brand new never used earphones included still boxed for wait for it 70 quid so now it all starts the biggest question for a newbie and its probably been asked before is, Where to start? So what im asking is your top 5 DOs and DONTs when starting out.
Well done,Tonyp.Vikings a great machine.n you've got a bargain.(half price).
Just keep trying,if it bleeps dig it,thats my motto.
Works quite well on upper parts of beach,(you can get a free permit on line from crown estates.)
As stated earlier read all you can.don't be afraid to ask advice,learn by others mistakes,but above all ENJOY.
remember a ring can pull,give the same signal as a gold ring ::g ::g ::g
Same old MIDAS,Just been resurrected!!
.Living for the moment,Digging up the past,For the future to see!.

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:10 am

enjoy it good luck
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

Jason5223

Post by Jason5223 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:25 pm

DON'T eat a vindaloo curry the night before an early start in the field :))
MINELAB X-TERRA 705
GARRATT PRO POINTER
"Once you locate an object you need to find it in the soil dug from the hole. The best tool for this is your buddy's pinpointer.  If your buddy does not own a pinpointer suggest that he buy one."

HM Murdoch

Post by HM Murdoch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm a newby with a Viking (VK20) too! My top 5 lessons learned (usually the hard way!):

1) Don't set discrimination too high. On the VK10, I wouldn't go higher than 4.
2) Take something to put any finds in. Sounds obvious but guess what I didn't do when I first went out...!
3) Wrap the lead nice and tight. If it's loose, the detector starts dectecting itself!
4) Dig tidily. Aside from being best practice, it's much easier to locate things in a tidy clod than in scattered dirt. Easier to tidy up too!
5) The depth range of your Viking will be about 6-8 inches. If you've dug this deep but are still getting a signal, the item is probably to the side of the hole. So dig wider rather than deeper.

And I echo what others have said. Don't have any expectations. Try to enjoy the hunt rather than just the finds - that way you're never (too) disappointed.

BCW

Post by BCW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Everything HM Murdoch said, plus use a Duracell battery :)

grahampim

Post by grahampim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 pm

get out in the sticks away from schools and so on or you will dig pul tabs and foil and will soon get fed up thats what i did happy hunting and good luck

tinsmith

Post by tinsmith » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:38 pm

How you getting on with the viking Tony ?

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:57 pm

hi mate heres a few more donts ::g

dont wear steel toecap boots [my brother in law did once , said he thought it was a mole with a earing after digging umteen holes in a circle]
dont throw anything , and i mean anything away , check all your bits carefully at home take your time ,and bin your rubbish like tins and silver paper etc.
dont go underdressed ,it can get very cold after a few hours especially at the end of the day .
dont leave any signs you were digging ,its good manners and you dont want to upset the land owners.
dont rush , the best finds are often very small and you WILL easily miss those signals on your headphones unless you are going at a SNAILS PACE.
and..... dont eat yellow snow[my dad told me that one ;) ;) ]

and remember you are a ambassador for the hobby , anything you do good or bad reflects on us all.....good luck mate.....................ray ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Return to “Viking Forum”