Setting

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
Diggindeeper

Setting

Post by Diggindeeper »

Just starting out with my 400i and looking for advice on settings. Whilst running with the mode that takes iron out what discrimination/sensitivity should I start out on. I’m on my first permission that has a lot of flint and chalk (not sure if this has an effect when detecting)

cheers in advance for any (obviously newbie) help.

Muddyknee

Re: Setting

Post by Muddyknee »

Usually ran mine on custom,with anything below 40 knocked out and one or two bars off sensitivity,depending on contamination.
And only used the iron audio to double check.
Your soil sounds the same as mine,so should be ok.
People don't change when they see the light.....
......they only change when they feel the heat.
Nox 800,that is all.
NCMD No 19622

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis »

u;@ That.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat »

I'm not sure about this sensitivity thing - I nearly always have mine on full belt and have few issues.

Sometimes on ploughed fields I get led into picking out tiny shards of junk or nothing at all and that's when I notch it down a little, but in general I can't see the benefit of detuning your machine if you don't need to.

So to the users who continuously run their 400i with the sensitivity notched down, I would ask the question - under what conditions do you turn it up?

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

"I'm not sure about this sensitivity thing - I nearly always have mine on full belt and have few issues".

It's not only my view that the Sensitivity/Gain control is widely responsible for causing more confusion and misunderstanding than any other operator controlled function on a detector.

Whilst this practice might be understandable where certain ground conditions prevail and the operator is experienced with a good understanding of his/her machine, however without these qualities the use of maximum sensitivity levels can create unwanted problems:-

a. Negative (ferrous) target responses can be 'pushed' through the 'set' discrimination level to produce a good or mixed target response so causing operator confusion. There is a reason why manufacturers produce an operator variable sensitivity controls.

b. Spurious signals from magnetic minerals (Fe3 - Ground Effect) especially where high levels are encountered.

c. The effects of external electrical/magnetic sources - power lines, mobile masts etc, will be increased.

I wouldn't like to see it suggested or implied, that 'full-on' sensitivity can be utilised to good effect by a newcomer to the hobby and we are replying to a newcomer in this thread. I think that there's more than enough to confuse newcomers these days!

In my view, by far the most important aspect for anyone 'learning' their first machine, is to first, carefully consider the manufacturer's advice contained in the handbook and only make adjustments to settings once a level of confidence is achieved to enable and maintain smooth detector operation with an acceptable level of accuracy in discrimination.

Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat »

"In my view, by far the most important aspect for anyone 'learning' their first machine, is to first, carefully consider the manufacturer's advice contained in the handbook" Quote from sweepstick47

So, this is from the 400i handbook.

"USE THE (+) OR (-) SENSITIVITY BUTTONS TO STEP THROUGH THE EIGHT LEVELS. USE INCREASED SENSITIVITY WHEN SEARCHING FOR VERY SMALL OR VERY DEEP TARGETS. USE LOWER SENSITIVITY WHEN THE DETECTOR IS BEHAVING ERRATICALLY (DUE TO EXCESSIVE METALLIC TRASH, HIGHLY MINERALISED SOILS, ELECTRICAL INTERFERENCE OR THE PRESENCE OF OTHER METAL DETECTORS) AND THE ERRATIC OPERATION CANNOT BE RESOLVED WITH DISCRIMINATION OR BY CHANGING FREQUENCY"

Personally I'm mainly looking for interesting old coins. Roman coins/hammered coins, and some of them are very small, and some of them could well be very deep, or even on their side. So as long as my machine remains stable I will continue to use it on "full belt" which I feel is in line with the guidebook advice.

There is a ploughed field next to my main pasture area and when I go on here my machine does misbehave in many different ways, so this is when I do reduce sensitivity - when we're out with our machines we do have to think about our settings however I don't think it's a good idea to overthink things.

Sweepstick47, I would be interested to know under what conditions you use full sensitivity? I'm not having a go here, I'm genuinely interested.

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”